1198R - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 8:14 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
1198R

Hi all, I have an 1198r and can only find out odd's and sod's online about it. Can any one tell me if they have one and if so did it come with a plaque? My 998r has one in a lovely little red box! Also I can see people asking about the numbers produced by Ducati.. some say 50 others say 70 world wide! My one is 30# out of 250# on the head stock. So I would assume that at the very least 250 were made! Can anyone help clear up my confusion and fill me in on the low down. Its one lovely bit of kit and I would like to know more. I changed the battery the other day and was shocked to see the side fairing was not carbon when everything else is... What's going on and have I been sold the correct bike?

Cheers

Lewis
LewisBlue8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 9:49 am
Bon Vivant
 
flynbulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Summerfield, NC, USA
Posts: 10,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisBlue8 View Post
Hi all, I have an 1198r and can only find out odd's and sod's online about it. Can any one tell me if they have one and if so did it come with a plaque? My 998r has one in a lovely little red box! Also I can see people asking about the numbers produced by Ducati.. some say 50 others say 70 world wide! My one is 30# out of 250# on the head stock. So I would assume that at the very least 250 were made! Can anyone help clear up my confusion and fill me in on the low down. Its one lovely bit of kit and I would like to know more. I changed the battery the other day and was shocked to see the side fairing was not carbon when everything else is... What's going on and have I been sold the correct bike?

Cheers

Lewis

Hi lewis, welcome to the forum!


I was told by the dealer near me (who sells a lot of Ducatis and has a close connection to the US distributor) That only 50 1198R's were produced even though they had planned 250. The bike should not have carbon side fairings so yours is correct. The last bike with full carbon was the 999R. But rest assured the 1198R is a very special bike and the exotic engine internals etc. more than makes up for the lack of a carbon side piece. You have what I believe is the best R bike Ducati has ever made (my own opinion). I hope you own it, ride it, and care for it with the reverence it deserves.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
flynbulldog is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 12:22 pm
Senior Member
 
Sherpa23F's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado, USA
Posts: 492
Garage
Out of curiosity, other than the aluminum tank, what makes the 1198R better than the 1098R?

A friend would like me to buy their 1198R but I don't really know what makes it better than my 1098R. I am admittedly a bit ignorant on the 1198R and I would love to hear from someone who actually knows both models.

1996 900 SS/SP #C22, 1996 916 Corsa (ex-Ferracci), 1998 916 SPS #774, 1999 748R, 2001 996R (US), 2001 996R (Euro), 2002 998R #481, 2011 848 EVO, 2008 1098R #262, 2014 1199 Superleggera #213
Sherpa23F is online now  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 3:53 pm
Bon Vivant
 
flynbulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Summerfield, NC, USA
Posts: 10,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
Out of curiosity, other than the aluminum tank, what makes the 1198R better than the 1098R?

A friend would like me to buy their 1198R but I don't really know what makes it better than my 1098R. I am admittedly a bit ignorant on the 1198R and I would love to hear from someone who actually knows both models.

I had a 1098R for a couple of years, I dont know the 1198 intimately but I do know that it had some significant upgrades to the 1098 including a quickshifter, better traction control and far more sophisticated electronics along with a claimed 180 bhp. The 1098 is a masterwork for a publicly available superbike and the 1198 took that even further.


How much does your buddy want for his? I might be interested.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
flynbulldog is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 5:21 pm
Senior Member
 
Sherpa23F's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado, USA
Posts: 492
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
I had a 1098R for a couple of years, I dont know the 1198 intimately but I do know that it had some significant upgrades to the 1098 including a quickshifter, better traction control and far more sophisticated electronics along with a claimed 180 bhp. The 1098 is a masterwork for a publicly available superbike and the 1198 took that even further.


How much does your buddy want for his? I might be interested.
That's good info. I am a fan of fewer electronics so I think I stick with my 1098R instead of adding an 1198R. Let me ask him and see. I will also find out how many miles it has and all that good stuff.
flynbulldog likes this.

1996 900 SS/SP #C22, 1996 916 Corsa (ex-Ferracci), 1998 916 SPS #774, 1999 748R, 2001 996R (US), 2001 996R (Euro), 2002 998R #481, 2011 848 EVO, 2008 1098R #262, 2014 1199 Superleggera #213
Sherpa23F is online now  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 10:35 am
Member
 
surffly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Albany, NY, USA
Posts: 61
What is the ballpark price range for this generation of R?
surffly is online now  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 10:46 am
Bon Vivant
 
flynbulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Summerfield, NC, USA
Posts: 10,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by surffly View Post
What is the ballpark price range for this generation of R?

Last I checked 1098R's are bringing 14 to 20,000 with the Bayliss edition around 22 or 23000 US. The 1198R is so rare that very few change hands, I'm not sure what the range is but there's not a big demand for them at the moment. And frankly, most people dont even know they exist.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
flynbulldog is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 4:34 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
If you wanted to have mine I would be looking for 40k. I know that's a lot of cash but I have never seen another one on the market in the UK. She has covered 7000km but is totally original and unmarked. Not that she's going up for grabs!! I had to do alot of homework to bag this baby.

The clutch picks up completely differently to the standard bike and it makes any slow maneuvers tricky. This could be ridder error and the sound of the engine if something else.
LewisBlue8 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 4:47 pm
Bon Vivant
 
flynbulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Summerfield, NC, USA
Posts: 10,063
If I remember correctly the 1198R that my dealer had was north of 50K US when it was new. 1098R's were around 44 -46K.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
flynbulldog is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 4:58 pm
Senior Member
 
loony888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
I had a 1098R for a couple of years, I dont know the 1198 intimately but I do know that it had some significant upgrades to the 1098 including a quickshifter, better traction control and far more sophisticated electronics along with a claimed 180 bhp. The 1098 is a masterwork for a publicly available superbike and the 1198 took that even further.


How much does your buddy want for his? I might be interested.

It's my understanding that the 08 1098R (red)has the more basic T/C that needs the std mufflers fitted to work (won't work with the termi kit and it's ECU apparently) and a close ratio gearbox that is known to fail, and the 09 (Bayliss) has the more sophisticated T/C that is significantly better. the 09 has a stronger gearbox as well, all of which came on the 1198R along with the Alloy tank, the QS and the "corse" fairing colours.

All great bikes, but as far as the engine goes they're pretty much the same, 180hp was claimed with the std set up, 186 with the 70mm termi kit (with ECU and A/C, no cat or flapper).

I love my Bayliss, i met a guy at a show recently who had an 1198R, ironically he also bought a Bayliss as part of his self managed super which lives in it's crate, unfortunately for him the 1198R is much more collectible, especially here in OZ because we initially got 150 of the Bayliss model, then got more that were allocated to Japan but didn't sell. His much rarer bike gets used and the "investment" that's not as valuable sits in a box......

Did the US get the Exhaust kit in the crate? mine came with a cover, data logger, lap time dongle thing, stand and the 70mm full system all included.
loony888 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome