I need help... maybe just advice? 900SS Part - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 6:15 pm Thread Starter

I need help... maybe just advice? 900SS Part

Hey Ducati Riders... I own a '92 900 Superlight, long (sad) story short is I wasn't paying attention while trying to remove my alternator case cover and created a hairline crack tonight. I'm OCD on this motorcycle and love everything so the thought of JB Weld isn't THAT appealing to me but.... so before I settle for putty I thought I'd check to see if anyone has an alternator case cover for sale?

Thanks!
Don H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Garage
Contact this guy

Wounded Duc.com

Good luck, JB will never look right.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 8:54 pm
Super Moderator

Garage
Hi Don, welcome to the forum. Hope you can get her properly fixed...I wouldn't do the JB Weld to it either.

If you could, please fill out your location in the "UserCP" and add your bike to you signature line...and enjoy the forum!

2011 KTM 990 SMT
2012 KTM 350 XCF-W

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 9:06 pm

the 92 will have the narrow crank, so it's an alt cover unique to 91 - 92. a 90 will also fit, but it has the crank sensor hole.

know all wanker
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Helle View Post
Hey Ducati Riders... I own a '92 900 Superlight, long (sad) story short is I wasn't paying attention while trying to remove my alternator case cover and created a hairline crack tonight. I'm OCD on this motorcycle and love everything so the thought of JB Weld isn't THAT appealing to me but.... so before I settle for putty I thought I'd check to see if anyone has an alternator case cover for sale?

Thanks!
Don H.
Once you have the cover off, take a grinder and "V" grind the crack from the inside. There is a specific JB Weld you should use that is steel reinforced and comes in something resembling 2 syringes that are Siamesed together.

Alternately, there is also a similar product from Devcon that is packaged identically in appearance.

Either one you use, the repair will be on the inside and no one will know but you as it won't be visible from the outside. Hope that helps.....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 7:53 am
Prolific Poster Award

If you are going to use JBWeld or Devcon make sure you clean it really well with brake cleaner or lacquer thinner. Oil will hide in the crack. If you clean it well it will work fine. If it bothers you keep your eyes open for a replacement.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
If you are going to use JBWeld or Devcon make sure you clean it really well with brake cleaner or lacquer thinner. Oil will hide in the crack. If you clean it well it will work fine. If it bothers you keep your eyes open for a replacement.
At various welding supply stores there are acid products specifically made for cleaning aluminum prior to TIG welding. Many times oil can sort of make it's way inside of the aluminum (like a sponge, more or less) especially in aluminum castings. TIG welding is very picky about the base material being clean clean clean. So those aluminum acid wash products are made to clean any material other than the aluminum out of it's matrices. The acid actually etches the aluminum to prepare it for a solid TIG weld.

It may help to allow whatever bonding product(s) you end up using to repair the crack short of actually having it welded produce a better bond.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ... LOW ZOOT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode