Hi from Tasmania. Am I crazy to attempt a 13,000km ride on my aging ST2?! - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2016, 6:09 am Thread Starter

Hi from Tasmania. Am I crazy to attempt a 13,000km ride on my aging ST2?!

Hi, Dave here hailing from Tasmania Australia. I have a red 1998 ST2 with 54,000klms on the clock. I purchased it cheap in a kind of barter deal with a family friend after he had the major service done at 50k.

I must confess to have not appreciated her at first. I had a GSXR1000 that I had spent hundreds of hours modifying to my idea of perfection and a ZX636 that I took to club days at the local tracks here. The slightly scruffy Duke (cosmetically) kind of got ridden every now and again but not much attention paid to her.

As time moves on and family and other hobbies necessitated the Japanese bikes were both regretfully moved on (thinking of my GSXR riding away without me on it still hurts - and made me realise just how good that full Micron titanium serpent system with shorty titanium can sounded).

Fast forward and I find myself watching a rerun of Long Way Round and I think to myself I really should ride around Australia! I immediately decided to miss Western Australia as it is vast and kinda empty and have settled on a roughly 13,000km route from Tasmania, along the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide, north to Darwin, across to Cairns and back down again. Taking in some Australia's best roads in an attempt on going on an epic mid life crisis adventure.

Better get serious about prepping the Duke!
This is where I discovered this forum. I have learnt a lot already just by lurking - so thanks for that. With help from these pages I have managed to (just) save my ride height adjusting rod, disassembled and cleaned my headlight housing and lenses and given here a thorough checking over.

I have some electrical issues I still need some help with so I thought I had better sign up!

Anyways thanks for the help so far.
PhilBoncer and forsythem like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2016, 9:49 am
work to live. ride to work.

Hi Dave, that sounds like an epic project! Why not, if everything is in good working order? Maybe do the trip with a buddy if you'd be way out in the boonies beyond quick assistance.

Please add your location information under User CP and your bike to your signature line so folks will know what you ride. Enjoy!

2019 BMW R1250GS
2019 Aprilia Tuono Factory
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2016, 3:54 pm
Tightly Clenched...

Garage
I imagine you'll start regretting things from just after Adelaide right through to the other side of Cairns...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2016, 5:32 pm
Prolific Poster Award

If I was going to do something like that with that bike I believe I would make a list of repair shops along the route, especially at those points were you'll need tires. I'd also start with fresh cam belts. Choose your tool kit wisely. Give us a report from the road . Maybe you can line up some forum members to check in with as you travel.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2016, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. The bike has had new cam belts 4K ago so I'm thinking I should be right with them. I am going to do air filter, oil & filter, fuel filter, pads, all fluids and I have just had new Pilot Road tyres fitted.

I am generally going over the bike checking everything in preparation.

Where I have come to a halt is with the voltage regulator. Someone has replaced the original and located it in the 'ram' air intake.

They have spliced the red and green wire in and there are three yellow wires coming from the regulator. When I unplugged it during disassembly I didn't realise until it was already disconnected that two wires from the bike were plugged into the three pin connection from the regulator-and I don't know which ones it was connected to, or if it matters. Hopefully someone can help. I'll attach pics below.

The second part of the problem is I have an empty two pin plug that has 12v with the ignition off and no voltage with the ignition on. When I bridge these wires with the ignition off the charge light come on. Is there any way of connecting this up to the replacement regulator so the charge warning light is functional again. Any suggestions appreciated.

1998 Ducati ST2 Red
Tasmania, Australia
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2016, 7:25 pm
Prolific Poster Award

You have work to do.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2016, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

I should note that the charging system has been working fine for the last 4-5 thousand klms I have had the bike - apart from the unplugged charge warning light. So I will clean up the connections, heat shrink the splices and cover the jagged edge where someone has cut away some material.

Specifically my two questions are: does it matter which of the three yellow pins from the regulator connect to the two yellow pins coming from the bike?
And is there a way to get my charge warning light functioning again?
I'm pretty competent actually doing the wiring, just not so good working out what has to go where!!

1998 Ducati ST2 Red
Tasmania, Australia
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2016, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
You have work to do.
Yeah there is a bit to do! Are you referring to anything in particular?

1998 Ducati ST2 Red
Tasmania, Australia
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2016, 8:04 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Let me be honest. It would appear some of the repairs have been less than professional. That makes me wonder if there are other repairs that need " cleaning up " as well. I don't know the belt change interval on your bike, but on many models the timing belts should be changed in less than 4000 miles so you are probably due already and will need 2 belt changes during your trip, also chains and tires. You haven't mentioned a valve adjustment, so that may need to be done before you leave. There is nothing wrong with going on a trip with an old Ducati, but you need to get the maintenance and repairs up to date. Put yourself in a position to succeed.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2016, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

I totally agree, very sound advice duc96cr.
I organised the major service at 50,000klms and this was done at my local Ducati dealer and they did all filters, fluids, belts, valves, steering head, fuel lines and filter and some more. So I am happy with that. They musn't have taken the front fairing off to discover the regulator wiring.
I have checked the wiring harness thoroughly and that is the only dodgy spot I have found.
My belts have a 20,000k service interval and they were done about 4,000k ago so they should be fine. I'm also counting that cruising highways the whole time is a bit easier on the machine than normal day to day riding.
But I will definitely need tyres and oil/filter.

1998 Ducati ST2 Red
Tasmania, Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode