case gasket - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 8:55 am Thread Starter
Bon Vivant

case gasket

Anybody run into this? This is a 1970 widecase 350 desmo. This is the closest gasket in the kit, the gasket covers half the oil passage hole and I'm worried about getting oil up into the engine. Just cutting it out wont work either because the seal will be compromised and again it needs the seal to retain pressure. Any ideas? Any recommendation on a truer gasket set?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	widecase gasket.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	949085  

Vintagedesmo.com

looking for '76 -'81 900 SS bevel, any condition Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 11:56 am

Trace the case with a mechanical pencil, scan the trace, convert it to a vector drawing in CAD and laser cut a new gasket. That's what I do.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 9:56 am Thread Starter
Bon Vivant

Casor thats a good idea but we dont have access to those pieces of equipment.

Does anybody know if the correct gasket is available?

Vintagedesmo.com

looking for '76 -'81 900 SS bevel, any condition Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 10:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by casor View Post
Trace the case with a mechanical pencil, scan the trace, convert it to a vector drawing in CAD and laser cut a new gasket. That's what I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
"We"?

There are any number of sources that will do that for you. You send them the trace of the gasket, they do all of the scanning/CNC stuff and send you the gasket.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ... LOW ZOOT
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 10:35 am

the gasket in your picture is for a very late ( about 73 /74 ) crankcase . those cases have the 2 thru bolt in the front and rear of the barrel spaced further apart .

correct gaskets are available . i have seen gasket sets that had both style gaskets in them . they where made by Athena .

we used to race Ducati singles and the centre gasket kept on creeping out when the engines where used in anger so i ditched the centre gaskedt and used grey gasket compound like threebond or yamaha bond and it worked like a charm .

regards Eldert
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crankcase evolution 2 003.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	802.2 KB
ID:	949259  
flynbulldog likes this.

Last edited by Eldert; Jul 23rd, 2019 at 10:44 am. Reason: adding picture
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 10:45 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:

Does anybody know if the correct gasket is available?
Mike,

If you can't find the proper gasket let me know. If you can get me a clean pic of the case, making sure the camera is as close to perpendicular as possible to the gasket face, along with some reference dimensions, I can get you a CAD model of the mating face/gasket that you could then print and use as a cut line template. Here is the process...

Import image to sketch plane and determine reference dimension.

Calibrate sketch image by entering true distance for reference dimension.

Sketch object geometry on top of reference image. This technique typically yields geometry which is within +/- .25mm tolerance.

The entire process would take between 15 min to an hour, depending on the complexity of the geometry. I used this approach to create 3D surfaces of the Pirelli Trofeo R's on the new Mono from laser scan data of the tire profile which they had given us. Point being, those scans had over 4K data points which made up the spline for the tire profile, and those took approx 1 hour each. I doubt this case is anywhere near as complex, so no worries on your end about taking up my time.

Besides, I'd love to help out if you need it. Let me know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-07-23_11-27-35.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	949253   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-23_11-18-15.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	949255   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-23_11-25-18.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	949257  
flynbulldog likes this.

ProphetPVD
'02 748R, #0954
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 1:25 pm Thread Starter
Bon Vivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldert View Post
the gasket in your picture is for a very late ( about 73 /74 ) crankcase . those cases have the 2 thru bolt in the front and rear of the barrel spaced further apart .

correct gaskets are available . i have seen gasket sets that had both style gaskets in them . they where made by Athena .

we used to race Ducati singles and the centre gasket kept on creeping out when the engines where used in anger so i ditched the centre gaskedt and used grey gasket compound like threebond or yamaha bond and it worked like a charm .

regards Eldert

Thank you Eldert! I found the Athena set and ordered it. hopefully that will do the trick. I don't plan on racing this bike so we should be OK and the gearbox and crank are already shimmed for .012 gasket thickness so I'd prefer not to start over if we can find the right gasket. I was also concerned about the oil baffle that's built into the gasket, did you find any issues around not running this baffle?

Vintagedesmo.com

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 1:28 pm Thread Starter
Bon Vivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetPVD View Post
Mike,

If you can't find the proper gasket let me know. If you can get me a clean pic of the case, making sure the camera is as close to perpendicular as possible to the gasket face, along with some reference dimensions, I can get you a CAD model of the mating face/gasket that you could then print and use as a cut line template. Here is the process...

Import image to sketch plane and determine reference dimension.

Calibrate sketch image by entering true distance for reference dimension.

Sketch object geometry on top of reference image. This technique typically yields geometry which is within +/- .25mm tolerance.

The entire process would take between 15 min to an hour, depending on the complexity of the geometry. I used this approach to create 3D surfaces of the Pirelli Trofeo R's on the new Mono from laser scan data of the tire profile which they had given us. Point being, those scans had over 4K data points which made up the spline for the tire profile, and those took approx 1 hour each. I doubt this case is anywhere near as complex, so no worries on your end about taking up my time.

Besides, I'd love to help out if you need it. Let me know.

Wow, thanks very much for the offer! I'm gonna try to avoid going this deep but if all else fails I really appreciate it!
ProphetPVD likes this.

Vintagedesmo.com

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 2:01 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Wow, thanks very much for the offer! I'm gonna try to avoid going this deep but if all else fails I really appreciate it!
Anytime Mike... always looking for another creative outlet for both myself and these tools.

ProphetPVD
'02 748R, #0954
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2019, 9:34 am

Hi flynbulldog,

I can't answer from experience, but Anthony Ainslie, who used to be the UK's top tuner of Ducati Singles, told me that he did not use any gaskets, replacing them with silicone gasket.

Colin

Ducati GT1000, Ducati 900S2 Bevel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode