Cagiva Alazzurra running on one cylinder - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2019, 12:38 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrat01 View Post
Thanks for the info. Here's answers to your questions.

Yes it's the belts teeth that are missing.

The belts were replaced in spring '15, and this happened in June '17, about 3,000 miles on them.
I wouldn't think failure from age, but also wouldn't think a defective belt, that would of failed sooner
don't you think?

I understand that checking the tension with the damaged belt will not be accurate. I should have
said that the belt tension & Idler pulleys where not loose or seized in any way and the belt was
not loose on the pulleys. I didn't actually check for proper tension, just that there was tension on
the belt.

I do have a manual.

I have checked in the cylinder with an inexpensive scope, will borrow a good scope and check again.

Again, thanks for the help.

What BRAND was the belt in question??
I have seen brand new "CA-Cycleworks" belts brake in the first month -

Also seen plenty of belts bought at the dealership fail prematurely too!

I ONLY use the DAYCO belts on all my "Rubber-Band Ducati" and for my friends when they require help as well - never had one fail.

and as goofy as it sounds, I have been setting the tension on the last 5yrs or so (about 15 or 20 belt changes on various Ducati) with the "Guitar tuning software" method on my smartphone - works like a champ! they end up not too tight and not too loose, there's a bunch of videos showing how to do this (the app I use personally is called Pano Tuner - it was free on App store)

65 350 Race bike, 67 350 Sebring/Mod, 69 350 SCR, 70 MkIII 350D, 72 450 RT, 74 450Mk3, 78 860, 85 Alazzurra SS, 2001 Monster S4, 2002 Monster S4 (Fake)Foggy Replica, 1999 ST2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2019, 1:13 am

generally belts lose teeth when the cam stops while the belt is still trying to drive it.

remove the belt and try to turn the cam. won't turn means bent valves.

sounds like shit's gone south to me.

i set the tension on the old ones just by pulling the adjuster and idler together with gentle force. works well. visual here -

know all wanker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode