A little bit of bevel - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2019, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

A little bit of bevel

Just for anyone's interest - Some close-up footage of my bike in the sun yesterday and photos from the last few days.

I've been out adjusting the idle mixture and taking photos to test my new phone. There isn't a lot of sun left so I'm taking every opportunity. Today is grey so I'm inside!

https://youtu.be/kHlffCB9u9I

ROb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Robs-1982-Ducati-900SS (1).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	514.5 KB
ID:	941601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Robs-1982-Ducati-900SS (7).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	539.1 KB
ID:	941603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Robs-1982-Ducati-900SS (6).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	941605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Robs-1982-Ducati-900SS (5).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	941607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Robs-1982-Ducati-900SS (3).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	941609  

Name:	Robs-1982-Ducati-900SS (2).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	597.7 KB
ID:	941611  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2019, 11:43 pm

Fantastic! That's a bike that even non-bikers can appreciate. That must draw a crowd wherever you park it.

2012 Arctic White Multistrada 1200S Touring Model
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2019, 4:09 am Thread Starter

heheh.. I don't like having a crowd so I've only let it sit alone in public once so far. I stopped on a quiet afternoon at the waterfront here and got an ice cream. I watched the bike from a bench nearby. It attracts middle-aged men like flies to poop. I guess that's why I own it.

I got a thumbs up from an older lady as I was taking those beach photos. She looked like she might have been on some bikes in her day. Another guy questioned whether it was new or old. He thought it could be a retro-styled modern bike. Made sense.

Otherwise I haven't had that whole crowd around the bike thing yet. I'm sure it'll happen and then the bike sure as hell better start when I kick it!
Rob

oh, and a guy on an MHR passed me on the other side of the road that same day. He was out enjoying his bevel as well. Didn't see me though. Could have been a life long friendship!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2019, 4:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by robax View Post
Just for anyone's interest - Some close-up footage of my bike in the sun yesterday and photos from the last few days.

I've been out adjusting the idle mixture and taking photos to test my new phone. There isn't a lot of sun left so I'm taking every opportunity. Today is grey so I'm inside!

https://youtu.be/kHlffCB9u9I

ROb
Very nice Rob, she's looking gorgeous. Air must be clean over there in NZ I see you have the sparrow strainers on.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100beck View Post
Very nice Rob, she's looking gorgeous. Air must be clean over there in NZ I see you have the sparrow strainers on.
Absolutely!.. on both counts - The air is clean and the sparrows know better than to come near me. I've done this whole thing entirely for my pleasure and those trumpets are a part of that. If it costs a distant future owner a few hundred Km of shelf life then so be it. They should be happy that I've given it a new life to be enjoyed. Obviously, If I were riding 1000km across the OZ outback, I'd put some filters on.

I'll post a couple of new pics. These will be the only thing left for me one day. so I'm making sure I get some.

I'm off out again now for another ride. I've got a month worth of registration left but the sun won't last forever. The carbs have gone very slightly out of sync after all the riding and settling in so I'm going to park up somewhere nice and redo it.
Rob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190509_160054.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	450.5 KB
ID:	943435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190504_155929.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	943437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190502_160434.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	456.4 KB
ID:	943439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190502_160252.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	582.0 KB
ID:	943441  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 11:23 pm

Looks great Rob; glad you are enjoying yourself after all the tribulations.

Ducati GT1000, Ducati 900S2 Bevel
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2019, 1:20 am Thread Starter

Yes, been fun!

I took it out today after checking the banjo filters and the float bowls. I rode around looking for a nice spot in the sun away from people and a little sheltered from wind. Then I redid the slide sync, the idle and the idle mixture as it seemed to have gone funny the last couple of rides. It was the sliders that were not quite together.

The worked real well and it's back to purring along through town. It really is the key to smooth running between idle and around 3000rpm. I reckon every bevel owner should know how to do that!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Hi Rob: Are your throttle cables completely free? I've seen a number of pictures of bikes with the tanks off that show one or both throttle cables zip tied to the frame or something else. This is not a good idea as they need to be really loose under the tank to compensate for handlebar movements. I found when setting mine up that just fitting and removing the rubber cable cap on top of the carbs is enough to make a slight change in slide synch.

It's great to see you bike pics and vids. I'm still fighting with my MHR; just ordered another CAN$1k of electronic ignition, coils, HT lead and a regulator. I'd hoped that this would not be necessary and wish I'd done this months ago when the bike was in my living room!

Rick 81 MHR
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 2:32 am

Hi Rob,

I completely agree about the synchronising of the throttles. Vee twins run lumpy due to their off beat firing intervals, so the correct throttle synchro is vital to smooth this out. I always get each cylinder ticking over at its best using the mixture screws and throttle stop screws, then when they are as level as I can get then, I adjust each cable so that each slide lifts off the stop at the same time. BTW, I use vacuum gauges for this.

Ducati GT1000, Ducati 900S2 Bevel
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 4:08 am Thread Starter

I can't seem to reply with quoted content anymore so i'll just reply without it.

Yes, my cables are not good. I ordered new choke and new throttle cables from Bevel Heaven just before my engine arrived and all 4 of the cables were unusable. They were all way too long on the inner, by between about 15mm and 38mm. I wasted even more money getting them sent over on the fastest service because I wanted them real quick. Won't be doing that again.

The rear cable was also too short overall by about 6 inches so I couldn't route them over the brake lever and had to run them straight down.

So I took the carbs, chokes and the throttle all to a local guy and had him shorten the inners. However he made a mistake and did it with the adjusters all wound most of the way in... ergh!

I can sync it nicely at idle and when just cracked on, but once I'm up and running it gets a bit rough on the left around 2000-3500 at low speeds. It sounds and rides like it's out of sync. I've done it 5 times over and keep getting the same result.

If I hadn't experienced how smoothly it can run for the first month, I would be leaving it as in and be satisfied. Instead, I've taken the carbs off and am going through them carefully to double check everything, and I'm going to get fresh cables made up to the correct length and with enough room for adjustment.

So the bike is off the road until I've got that sorted.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode