tires..... which ones?? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2019, 4:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage
tires..... which ones??

Greetings, its almost time to get the GT back on the road after a long rest. I am open to all suggestions as to what kind of tires to put on the bike now.
Is it ok to run tubeless with a tube? Thank You for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2019, 2:00 am

Right, here is my advice FWIW. I've been running bevels for 45 years and do you know what mod has made the biggest improvement in all that time? Fitting radial tyres. Every time that I go out on my bevel I am amazed at the way the tyres have transformed it - the way that it rolls over on corners, the way that it slices through the corners and the difference in smoothness over the road surface, due to the flex of radials.

The tyres are Conti Klassic Attack, and are a bit dearer than other brands, but are supposed to last longer. I wouldn't use anything else. Tubeless are fine with tubes. BTW, you say GT? So GT750? Stick with the standard sizes of 90/90 front and 100/90 rear, because the rims are too narrow for wider tyres. I know that some people fit them, but the tyre is then squeezed up and gives a contact patch that is no wider, plus the bigger tyres are heavier.

Ducati GT1000, Ducati 900S2 Bevel
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2019, 3:04 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you Duccout, i checked the conti site. they do not show a 90/90-19 frt tire. they do show a 100/90-19. do you know if it will clear the fender stays?
after reading your comments re the conti's, i'm really looking forward to the first long ride. thank you for your input.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2019, 3:04 am

Ah, that's a shame. The 90/90 is the equivalent standard size and is right for the rim width. I have used a 100/90 on my 750 and it was tight next to the stays. A lot of people do use the 100/90 on 750's.

Different makes of tyres come in at different widths, so you may be ok. The front Conti tyre on my 900 which has WM3 2.15 front rim measures 97mm across, so your GT has a WM2 1.85 rim that will give a narrower width, but I don't know how much. Decisions, decisions.

Ducati GT1000, Ducati 900S2 Bevel
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2019, 8:15 am
shark wrangler

If you want great performance and dont mind a more modern look Avon makes a great tire in many sizes that I fit to my GT; Avon Road Rider tires:

If you want a more classic look Continental RB2 / K112 would be my first choice:

Here are the Conti's on the 73 GT:

Duro also makes a copy of the Continental tire for a little less money but some say they do not grip as well. I have them on my BSA and they seem fine to me:

Duro HF318:

Duro HF317

I also put the Avon Road Riders on my Triumph Cafe bike, I like the modern look and performance:

I'm soon going to be looking for tires for my vintage Ducati single restorations - A cursory exploration has found nothing for the smaller bikes. Good luck with your search.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 2:08 am

Garage
The Michelin Pilot Activ is pretty much all I run on the old bikes, sticky compound with excellent turn in and not the worst in the rain either. I have a set on my 900SSD and the R75/5.

'00 996, '01 748', 80 900SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode