Alrighty... results from today.
I pulled the pins from one side of the pickup plug and simply swapped them so that the striped leads would now go to the plain leads. Then I went for a ride and set it up to check the timing again.
Note that the previous test resulted in very strong blueing on the lower pipe, but no blueing at all on the upper. The bike ran but only badly and there was no advance, or it was permanently at full advance, detected on the timing disk.
Here's a video made up of seven or eight clips.
- The start and six and a half minutes riding up the hill. It really ran just as badly as it did before. Had to keep the choke on to keep it going.
- I rode it several minutes longer than shown here.
- Then I found a spot and set it up for the strobe. I got it on the stand and tweaked the stops to try and get it to idle without having to hang onto the throttle.
- At 10:36 one can see the timing and then just a quick rev where I checked for any movement. The result was basically identical to the previous test. Same position on the timing disk, and no change on throttle.
- At this point, the GoPro app had the clips in the wrong order and one can see the bike stalling in my driveway at home.
- Then I packed up and was unable to start it. I pulled the plugs and then swapped them. Still no kick start but I got it started on the slope leading back down.
The bike ran very badly and it really only ran at all with the choke on. It vibrates a fair bit as mentioned previously. There is a lot more video of it banging and popping. I checked plugs earlier on. The lower one was black and wet around the edge, but dry and lean looking in the middle. The other was very sooty, sticky and also a little wet.
The only thing I noticed was that the upper pipe had now also become very blue, same as the bottom one previously. I then actually tried switching the polarity of just that pickup just in case it made a difference. It didn't
At this point I'm resigned to swapping my old original pickups into the new cover. I know of a guy up North who has the factory calibration tool and so I could at least get things back to how they were. The new pickups are the only thing that is actually new in this equation and so I really need to take them out of it. It's just weird how they work, but they don't.
I'm interested in knowing if there is anything mechanical that might cause this sort of problem. I can't see how, but I'd like to be able to exclude any other possible causes. Even with these issues, the engine felt very strong when I briefly opened it up, so I can't imagine it having any such issues.
Thanks again for any comments.