Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum - View Single Post - Project 1989 900SS Performance Rebuild
View Single Post
post #29 of (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2012, 2:41 am Thread Starter
Kiwihame

Garage
The bottleneck!

Because Im now using a Shorai Battery, we need to find somewhere to put it! Prior packaging would suggest (the battery on the '89 sat directly behind the steering head remember) that there should still be enough room, even with the (once upon a time installed) airbox, or the (now installed) monstrous K&N filters. And there is! Choice!

With the intention of making a battery box out of aluminium I made a cardboard template. (Pics 1 and 2) Well pleased with myself, I remarked to Murray, Look Muzza, a battery box! What do you think?" In his typically laconic style he replies "It'll be alright... until it rains...."

The other thing we need is somewhere to put the Ignitek programmable ignition module and the coils. Re the coils, I was lucky enough to purchase some near new Dyna Minis. The most logical location for the coils is away from the Ignitek and in the airstream, not least because 3Ohm Coils run quite hot. There is a bracket on the front lower frame rail from which a crude stay used to secure the fairing. Add another and itd be a perfect. (Another welding job for Muzza.)
I notice this is where Bimota mount the coils on their latest bikes.

As for the Ignitek, cue another cardboard template. (Pic 3) =) This will be made into a plate which will sit between and above the cylinder heads. On one there will be a tab to which the starter solenoid will mount, on the other side the ignition barrel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2564.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	114171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2562.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	114172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2584.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	114173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2585.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	114213  

Last edited by Kiwihame; Jul 14th, 2012 at 1:20 pm.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome