NEW to me 2012 1098 Streetfighter - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2019, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

NEW to me 2012 1098 Streetfighter

I picked up my 2012 Streetfighter today...and now its time for me to modify...The tires look pretty good but the turn is at best strange.
By this I mean as I make the turn the bike seems to hesitate then fall...thats the beat way I can explain it..
I ordered some new Q3 front and rear....but if theres a better choice please let me know..I vcan change to order before Monday..
Id like to ask for some input on mods...this bike was purchased from a friend and he was a great caretaker of the bike...Rizoma goodies and Termi blessings were on his Ducradar
So I would like to know the mods,tools and accessories those with the 2012 1098 SF have found useful on their pride and joys.
I am coming from a 1996 900SS and my 2003 ST4S W/ABS
My god the MOTOR on the SF is sinful!!!!
No excuses...Sinful I tell you!
But I am hoping the Q3s bring out the good manners in turn in.
Rear hugger CF recomendations??
Maybe higher handlebars and a more blingy handlebar clamp.
Aftermarket Rims???
If they are over 3200.00 then Id go BST branded...red CF of course!!
Tool recomendations??
Stands for front and rear???
Thank you in advance to those that offer their insights...tomorrow I will be in Stockbridge Mi. for the all clubs day meet...come to the SW corner and look for Mike S if your close by
MS

Mike S
1996 900SSCR
2012 Ducati Street Fighter
2003 ST4S W/ABS for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 12:01 am

Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II. Perfect for the SF. Street and Track. Q3s don’t compare.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 12:36 am

Raise the rear height rod 1/4", raise the forks 2 lines in the triples, set your sag correctly, change springs if needed. Then fine tune the screws. You should be good to go
Desmofreak likes this.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 7:31 am
Bon Vivant

I've tried almost all of the hyperbikes tires including the pirellis on the SF and to me the tire that mates with the characteristics of the SF best is the original Mich pilot power 2CT ( not the PP2,3,4) it has the sharpest profile giving better response to input. I agree with your feeling about the handling of the SF, it is a little sluggish. Jacking the rear up to decrease the rake will help a little bit if you can stand the new riding position and still reach the ground but getting tires that turn quick is an easy way to help make it better. The Q3 isnt going to help you its a very round linear profile better suited to bikes with a steep rake and short wheelbase. Pilot power 2 CT is the way to go. Another thing that will help is to ditch the OE steering damper in favor of an adjustable unit like Ohlins or Bitubo. The stock damper is way too stiff.
Good luck

Oh, and for all of your answers and answers to questions you'll ask in the future check the FAQ at the top of the SF section, there's a world of info in there!
fighterpilot and Tirefriar like this.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*

Last edited by flynbulldog; Sep 15th, 2019 at 3:19 pm.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
I agree with your feeling about the handling of the SF, it is a little sluggish. Jacking the rear up to *increase the rake will help a little bit if you can stand the new riding position and still reach the ground but getting tires that turn quick is an easy way to help make it better.
Raising the rear end will *decrease the rake as well as *decrease the trail a bit. Doing either or both will make the motorcycle's handling a bit "quicker" .. as was said.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Quote:
I've tried almost all of the hyperbikes tires including the perellis on the SF and to me the tire that mates with the characteristics of the SF best is the original Mich pilot power 2CT ( not the PP2,3,4) it has the sharpest profile giving better response to input. Pilot power 2 CT is the way to go.
I agree with Mike on this, 2CTs transformed the SF for me...I ran through four or so sets during 28k miles of ownership and found nothing better...

Black 2014 Speed Triple R
White 2010 Streetfighter (sold)

-you only live once, and I feel like I'm running out of time...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 3:12 pm
Bon Vivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
Raising the rear end will *decrease the rake as well as *decrease the trail a bit. Doing either or both will make the motorcycle's handling a bit "quicker" .. as was said.

yes, my mistake. But the SF is one of those bikes that is just a little too far off and the rear has to be way up in the air just to get it close to the base-line of most any of the other naked bikes. Its a tough way to get there and the bike is not comfortable IMO when you do it. But combining all of these suggestions together can make a big difference.
Rex Coil 7 likes this.

Vintagedesmo.com

Last edited by flynbulldog; Sep 15th, 2019 at 3:23 pm.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Quote:
yes, my mistake. But the SF is one of those bikes that is just a little too far off and the rear has to be way up in the air just to get it close to the base-line of most any of the other naked bikes. Its a tough way to get there and the bike is not comfortable IMO when you do it. But combining all of these suggestions together can make a big difference.
Is there some cognitive reason that Ducati set up the StreetFighter that way? Perhaps their lawyers getting ahead of claims made by less skilled riders or something of the sort? (in other words, making the bike slow to respond/heavy handling to keep less skilled riders out of trouble?). I know that sounds odd, but lawyers and accountants are odd, and pretty much anytime they are involved in making engineering decisions the results are as odd as they are.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
Is there some cognitive reason that Ducati set up the StreetFighter that way? Perhaps their lawyers getting ahead of claims made by less skilled riders or something of the sort? (in other words, making the bike slow to respond/heavy handling to keep less skilled riders out of trouble?). I know that sounds odd, but lawyers and accountants are odd, and pretty much anytime they are involved in making engineering decisions the results are as odd as they are.
Guessing they figured that all naked bike riders want it to handle like a Harley so they made it a bit lazy, but all kidding aside, I am guessing they think people buy naked bikes for commuting or something less than canyon carving and don't realize most of us just want a Ducati superbike with way less plastic on it.
Desmofreak and Rex Coil 7 like this.

2012 SF848, 2015 KTM 300 XCW plated
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 6:55 pm
Bon Vivant

I do think liability and or just general safety had something to do with Ducati's decision to stretch the swingarm and increase the rake from the donor 1098sbk. Just complete conjecture on my part but I'd bet that the people that test these things out found the original SF set up with geometry from the SBK bike and a high handlebar was just a little too lively for the general public. The streetfighter is an absolute animal of a bike so they went for stability over nimbleness.
Rex Coil 7 likes this.

Vintagedesmo.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode