Looked at 2010 SF a few days ago. Tank swollen? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2019, 9:07 am Thread Starter

Looked at 2010 SF a few days ago. Tank swollen?

20+ year Ducati owner and long-time SF forum lurker. I thought I was familiar enough with the tank swelling when I went to look at a bike a few days ok but after reading more here, I'll probably have to go back and look again at some areas of the tank. I took some pics of the areas that made me leery. At full lock, the left grip comes so close to the tank that the horn button almost makes contact. The other pics are of leading edges of both side panels which stick out from the tank surface about a quarter inch on each side. I did not pay enough attention to the gas cap area nor did I notice any waves in the tank surface but lighting was not great. If I go back and look I'll bring bright light with me. In the meantime, I wanted to ask the knowledge base here. Tomorrow I might go look at a SFS at another dealer to see how it compares to the white one in the pics. Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190821_160600.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	951877   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190821_160618.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	951879   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190821_160546.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	951881  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2019, 9:13 am

Garage
It is possible someone adjusted the handlebars to be closer, the side trims do look to be sticking out a bit more than they should. How did the ignition cover look, that is one of the things that seems to be affected as well as how close the fork tubes come to the tank at full lock.

2012 SF848, 2015 KTM 300 XCW plated
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2019, 10:27 am

There are a lot of areas to look at to see if the tank has swelled, but there are two that are tell tale signs. While sitting on the bike look down the fork tubes and pay attention to the cut outs on the tank and the clearances between the forks and tank cut outs. With the bars straight and at full lock. If the clearance isn't even with the bars straight or the fork leg clearance is uneven or about to touch the tank has swelled up. Also look at the ignition key clearance. They aren't centered perfectly when new but if any part is really uneven or touching the key surround the tank is swelling. I had clearance issues with both of these areas on my large tank 1098SFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 Ducati Streetfighter S -- 2004 Triumph Speed Triple SE
1999 Suzuki Hayabusa

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Ive had 3 tanks swell, its not an over all ballon effect on the tank its unusual lines,, run your hand down the side if its not stright and there are large bulges thats what your looking for...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2019, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I'm going to have to go back up and have a look at the tank again or ask the salesman I was talking to send me some pictures. I thought the bars could have been adjusted too far back too. I should have thought to check the fork tube clearance. So, when I go back I will:

1. Check the area around the ignition for any glaring clearance issues.
2. Look down the forks to check clearance by the tank cutouts.
3. Bulges or waves in the tank and deviations where the lines should be straight.

The bike seems to be in good shape overall. It is at a Triumph dealer and other than the salesman having owned two Ducatis no one there had any knowledge about the bike itself.

If it works out, I'll be posting some pictures. I've always loved the SF's. Rode the 848 a few times but never pulled the trigger.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2019, 3:24 pm

A couple more things to consider if you liked the 848sf and like the engine character. The 1098sf engine is more uncivilized because it has very aggressive camshaft overlap compared to the 848sf. Another thing is that the white 1098 you're looking at is a base model with no TC. It was only offered for one year that way. The 848sf always had TC.

1999 Suzuki Hayabusa
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2019, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

One reason I wasn't looking for base models was the TC but it isn't a deal breaker at the price point of the white base SF I looked at this week. If a clean 848 showed up, I'd consider it just for the longer valve service intervals but I always thought it felt too smooth riding around. My comparison is pretty skewed though. My 851 has high compression pistons and big valve heads. It spits and surges at part throttle and does not like being kept under 5k RPM. It's uncompromising and to be honest, a bit exhausting at times. The cammy nature raucous description of the 1098 is more of what I look for in a motorcycle. Back when both models were on the showroom floor, I wish I had a chance to ride a 1098 back to back with an 848 because I liked the 848 steering geometry and nimbleness. Tomorrow I'm looking at a red SFS which I'd rather have over the white base but the price difference is substantial between the two dealers. Thanks
fighterpilot likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2019, 9:40 pm

If you like raw then a 1098sf will definitely work for you. The S model is definitely something else. The Ohlins suspension is really nice. Especially once you take the time to adjust it and get it dialed in properly.

1999 Suzuki Hayabusa
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2019, 9:08 am
Prolific Poster Award

When my Monster tank swells you can look under the tank at the rubber tank cushions and the u - shaped sections no longer come down squarely on the frame tubes.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2019, 10:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
When my Monster tank swells you can look under the tank at the rubber tank cushions and the u - shaped sections no longer come down squarely on the frame tubes.
I'll add that to the list of places I look when I go back. Tomorrow finally going to look at the SFS. A very clean looking 848 just came up for sale but it's 2 hours away. Pretty tempting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode