Leaking Coolant - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By Secret Squirrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 12:34 pm Thread Starter

Leaking Coolant

I went out for a ride yesterday and once I got home I noticed coolant dripping on the right hand of the bike. The coolant was definitely not leaking while riding only once the bike was turned off. I followed the leak and it seems to be coming from the fitting on the top/right hand side of the radiator.

I'm not one to get the dealer involved for a coolant leak. I haven't had time to dig into the issue but anything I should troubleshoot first?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fIvwkRSiQ%yCHVlq0V6lyA_mini_8.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	946791  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 2:38 pm
Bon Vivant

This was pretty common when they were new - if it's not the weld at the fitting (I've never seen one crack but there's always a first time) give the clamp a twist - should clear it right up.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Garage
Not sure about the SF but the 1098 had issues with radiator cracking at the mount on the top left side (looking from the front). Had to get mine repaired once

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 11:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
This was pretty common when they were new - if it's not the weld at the fitting (I've never seen one crack but there's always a first time) give the clamp a twist - should clear it right up.
It's definitely coming from the weld not from the clamp. Are we sure those two parts are welded together? I'm hoping it's a busted oring......
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 12:23 pm

There's definitely not an o-ring there. As long as you have someone in your area that's good at radiator repair they should be able to repair that area fairly easily. However, you will need to remove the radiator and take it to them to do the repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flynbulldog likes this.

2011 Ducati Streetfighter S -- 2004 Triumph Speed Triple SE
1999 Suzuki Hayabusa
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 2:05 pm
Bon Vivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmysiak View Post
It's definitely coming from the weld not from the clamp. Are we sure those two parts are welded together? I'm hoping it's a busted oring......

No like squirrel said that fitting is part of the radiator - "weld" is probably the wrong word its probably brazed or soldered. radiator shop for sure. Can you see a crack in the pipe?

Vintagedesmo.com

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
No like squirrel said that fitting is part of the radiator - "weld" is probably the wrong word its probably brazed or soldered. radiator shop for sure. Can you see a crack in the pipe?

I definitely can't see any cracks. Could this be a problem caused by something else? I don't want to fix the radiator only for the coolant to find the next "weak" point in the system to escape from..... It only leaks once the bike is turned off after a ride. I know the pressure goes up once the bike is turned off due to the heat. Where is the extra pressure supposed to escape normally?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 2:19 pm
Bon Vivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmysiak View Post
I definitely can't see any cracks. Could this be a problem caused by something else? I don't want to fix the radiator only for the coolant to find the next "weak" point in the system to escape from..... It only leaks once the bike is turned off after a ride. I know the pressure goes up once the bike is turned off due to the heat. Where is the extra pressure supposed to escape normally?

There's a thermostat that should release coolant into the overflow tank if the system get too hot. If its leaking at the rad it will need to be repaired eventually. Honestly, usually its just the clamp - even if it looks like its coming from the pipe, it wont hurt to screw that in a turn...

Vintagedesmo.com

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 2:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
There's a thermostat that should release coolant into the overflow tank if the system get too hot. If its leaking at the rad it will need to be repaired eventually.

Thanks! This gives me something to work with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode