LED bulb headlight question - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2019, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

LED bulb headlight question

I am looking to replace my stock halogen headlight bulb with a brighter 6000K LED bulb which would also match the LED DRL's. I know that most of the LED bulbs now come with the heat sink and fan and so I am wondering if anyone out there has had luck with buying one of these LED bulbs that fits with out any modification.

I think the biggest issue is being able to keep the headlight housing sealed off with the OEM rear cap and not have the heat sink and fan sticking out the back.

anyone have any luck or recommendations?

I have been looking at these.

FluxBeam CORE v.2 Motorcycle LED Headlights - OPT7

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2019, 12:11 pm

Those look pretty cool, try them out. I haven’t personally fit a led in my headlight yet but I am planning on something like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2019, 7:12 am

I’ve tried a couple LED bulbs and even if you can get one to fit, the problem you’ll run into is the beam pattern which will inevitably blind other drivers due to the reflector design. Even with adjusting the headlight downward, I was unable to remedy the situation. You results may vary but something to think about.

Chancemoto.com | 2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 | 2016 Hypermotard 939 SP | 2016 1299 Panigale

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2019, 7:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKham View Post
I’ve tried a couple LED bulbs and even if you can get one to fit, the problem you’ll run into is the beam pattern which will inevitably blind other drivers due to the reflector design.
I had the same concern when reading the SportClassic1385 post. Certainly this is a big problem with HID conversion kits. However, I did a quick search and it seems that most LED headlight conversion kit sellers don't even address this issue — but some do. The issue is correct placement of the filament/LED relative to the base reference plane.

I don't know what LED conversion kits have this problem, but I wouldn't install a kit without seeing a sample of the light pattern on a blank wall first.

That said, I don't ride at night much, but there is improved safety in being seen having a brighter headlight during the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	low_ys.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	941693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dimensions.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	941695  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2019, 2:58 pm Thread Starter

anyone have any examples that actually fit our bike without modifications?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2019, 5:37 pm

i installed OPT7, it is looking much better than halogen, but I'm not sure how was looked halogen 🙂 on road, i drilled back cap so ballast(smallest ever seen) is out there somewhere 🙂 but here is what happen then, everything works fine both low and high beam, but shape of look seems like is opposite way, 1st photo is low(only) beam 2nd is low and high beam together......so can you see where is the problem!?

seems like low beam is high, and turning on high beam is looking like turning low, since i don't drive at night to much i don't know how is look at night

some photos of halogen light will be nice, maybe will help...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425_173443_1556576878165.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	941969   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425_173458_1556576929859.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	941973  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2019, 5:41 pm

ohhh, yes, the back cap of headlight you can order from BMW and Ducati dealer of Jacksonville,FL is i think $2 - $5 whit shipping, so drill yours don't worry 🙂
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 10:24 am

I went with the OPT7 bulb. It's definitely a tight fit and you'll need to drill the cover in order to provide airflow and to pass the wires but it looks very good. I went with the 6k cool white and it matches the OEM LED lights perfectly.
FluxBeam LED Headlights v.2 - OPT7
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 5:04 am

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
BEAMTECH H4 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K 8000Lumens Extremely Brigh (9003 Hi/Lo) CSP Chips Conversion Kit

This LED bulb fights with the OEM rain/dust cap just fine and works great.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 10:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by koby View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
BEAMTECH H4 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K 8000Lumens Extremely Brigh (9003 Hi/Lo) CSP Chips Conversion Kit

This LED bulb fights with the OEM rain/dust cap just fine and works great.
Is the specific fit for the SF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode