What motorcycles have you contemplated after owning a SF? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2019, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

Garage
What motorcycles have you contemplated after owning a SF?

I'm interested in what other motorcycles everyone is interested in post Streetfighter ownership. Nice totalled my 2013 SF, spent a few months trying other motorcycles and ended up getting a 2015 SF. Others that sparked my interest:

2018 Triumph Speed Triple RS (not a fan of the looks or exhaust note)

2014 Ducati Monster 1200 S (love it, but opted for SF looks)

2016 KTM Super Duke 1290 R (looks not up to par with others in its class, and primitive instrument panel)

2019 Ducati Hypermotard 950 SP (I'm 5'8", not optimal for short riders)

2012 Ducati Streetfighter (not a fan of the dry clutch, and lack of technology available like ABS and upgraded instrument panel in later gen motorcycle in its class)

These are just opinion. Im interested in other people's thoughts. See ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2019, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by azt108 View Post
2018 Triumph Speed Triple RS (not a fan of the looks or exhaust note)
The sound of a triple to me is just as much sexy as a Ducati L twin. Throaty roar. You know when one is coming down the front straight and it sounds nothing like the generic japanese inline 4's that are a dime a dozen. Plus they have that unique whine from the straight cut counterbalancer gears.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2019, 11:31 pm

Tuono Factory. Personally I’m a fan of the second gen with Rotax twin but the Ape’s latest V4 iteration is one of the best bikes built to date.

To note, I’ve even looking for a clean Tuono Factory twin when I found the SFS. For now, I can’t think of getting rid of SFS for anything else.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2019, 6:35 am

Since the 2010 Streetfighter (which I still own), I’ve has a Tuono, S1000R, Hypermotard 939SP and Superduke R. There’s a lot to love about any one of them, depending on what turns your crank.

For me, the KTM (which I still have) is the favorite for its balance of shit-eating-grin-inducing torque, comfort and looks. If someone said they preferred any of the other bikes I listed, I’d totally get it. They all bring something different to the party.

Chancemoto.com | 2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 | 2016 Hypermotard 939 SP | 2016 1299 Panigale
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2019, 7:59 am
asshole online, nice in person

I still have my original 2010 1098 SFS but I've bought many other bikes since, some that are very different from the SF to serve other riding scenarios others that are very much the same genre as the SF and frankly they are a little better than the SF. But nothing has the personality of the Ducati Streetfighter, even other Ducatis dont come close including the 848 SF which to me is the SFS's nerdy little brother who never partys and spends most his time indoors reading books and being a good little boy.

However the SFS is a beast to ride and while the challenge is attractive the civility and competence of other bikes like the Tuono Factory, The BMW S1000R, or the new Yamaha FZ10 is hard to ignore. All of them will out handle the SFS and they are much easier to ride aggressively. I currently own several other bikes that you could consider alongside the SFS and all have their strong points but there's something about the 1098 Streetfighter that no other bike before or since has been able to replicate and for that reason the SFS will always stay with me.

Hey I know the OP is talking about an 848 SF, and personally that bike is so different from the 1098 it just wouldn't even make it onto a list for my consideration. Different strokes and all

LegendInMyOwnMind likes this.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
The BMW S1000R, or the new Yamaha FZ10 is hard to ignore.
Anything with 4 cyllinders in a row, regardless of how much power it makes, what it looks like or how it handles, it a boredom machine to me. Need bikes with personality.

I think in the OP's list, I like the 1290 Duke. If not the Street Triple. The speed triple is listed, but nobody really likes that bike compared to the street triple.

Last edited by Zaph; Mar 25th, 2019 at 12:53 pm.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2019, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

Garage
I totally forgot about the Touno! Love that bike, but not naked enough for me. Agree with all the comments related to the 1098. Drove my buddies 1098 and it's just constantly daring you for more at each gear. I never felt a loss of torque.

Someone raised a good point of ease of being aggressive. I feel the 848 SF requires a lot more attention than the other bikes mentioned. I also understand that rider ability is at play here. I still get a fair amount of anxiety on exit ramp loops and the potential to lose the line if you don't get the throttle control exactly right. Which can simply be just poor throttle control. On the other hand, most other motorcycles I've ridden have more predictable throttle response and smooth on, off transitions.

Any thoughts on this?
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2019, 7:38 pm

I would love the Super Duke R but keeping my SF1098 though )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LegendInMyOwnMind likes this.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Well a 2010 SFS was my second bike I picked up last year for a good price. I looked around at different bikes for awhile but decided the 1098 SFS was the bike for me. It works well with my other bike, a MV Agusta F3 675, both sound amazing and offer two unique riding experiences. I wouldn't mind a Panigale V4R but I can't afford one lol.

Having a Supersport bike and a naked gives a good choice of different riding styles and the engines are both full of character but world's apart in feel and how they make power. I am happy with both and have plenty of mods planned on both so won't be selling or adding to my stable any time soon.

Last edited by Boba-Fett; Mar 25th, 2019 at 7:58 pm.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2019, 8:28 pm
asshole online, nice in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by azt108 View Post
I totally forgot about the Touno! Love that bike, but not naked enough for me. Agree with all the comments related to the 1098. Drove my buddies 1098 and it's just constantly daring you for more at each gear. I never felt a loss of torque.

Someone raised a good point of ease of being aggressive. I feel the 848 SF requires a lot more attention than the other bikes mentioned. I also understand that rider ability is at play here. I still get a fair amount of anxiety on exit ramp loops and the potential to lose the line if you don't get the throttle control exactly right. Which can simply be just poor throttle control. On the other hand, most other motorcycles I've ridden have more predictable throttle response and smooth on, off transitions.

Any thoughts on this?
I wouldn't kick yourself too hard on the throttle control. The SF has a harsh throttle and it isnt smooth or easy to modulate. There are other bikes that are a ton better in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
Anything with 4 cyllinders in a row, regardless of how much power it makes, what it looks like or how it handles, it a boredom machine to me. Need bikes with personality.

I think in the OP's list, I like the 1290 Duke. If not the Street Triple. The speed triple is listed, but nobody really likes that bike compared to the street triple.

To each his own. I grew up riding and racing I4's and I love them. I agree that some bikes are boring - For me its BMW boxers - they elicit a complete lack of excitement for me. I guess if you grew up in the 60's and had nothing but twins until Honda and MV came along and started dominating the GP's with their exotic 4 cylinder bikes you'd see things a little differently. It was a big deal back then. ('I'm not saying that was me - I'm not that old!)

And again we differ because the KTM 1290 is a complete non-starter for me, no thanks.

Maybe someday you'll get a chance to ride an MV F4 with its Ferrari designed radial valve I4 with a nice set of pipes, god the wail of that bike is magical and 115mph in first gear is something most people will never experience. Or a kerker equiped KZ 1000 set up with smooth-bores and open air cleaners - talk about personality! And, if a 45 degree single-pin crank Vtwin is your idea of personality, dont get me started... give me a 4 banger any day.

And have you ridden or even heard an FZ10? You might want to try it before you just dismiss it... That crossplane crank I4 sounds badass

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*

Last edited by flynbulldog; Mar 25th, 2019 at 10:20 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode