What motorcycles have you contemplated after owning a SF? - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 6:36 pm
Bon Vivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
I get the Superbike connection. It’s just the rest of the industry now groups all those types of bike as super nakeds. Streetfighter really isn’t a genre any more. It’s just the name Ducati gave to their super naked at the time. Most people now consider the Monster 1200R in that same category. I’m surprised it doesn’t get more respect from Ducati owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Streetfighter was never a genre of new production Bikes. It has always been a home built classification much like cafe racer or street tracker. Ducati called their bike the Streetfighter because it embodies the spirit of the home built Styreetfighter where guys take sportbikes - often crashed bikes - and strip the fairings and put dirtbike bars on them. A lot of guys that built their bikes didnt like the name given to ducatis production bikes - they said it wasnt a real streetfighter.

I would have thought that the industry would group the Monster in with the other hyper-nakeds but that hasn't been the case. I see comparisons of the ktm,bmw Ape and even the speed-trip all the time but rarely is the 1200R monster included. I even read one article that said they thought about including it but it didnt perform well enough to be considered so they left it out. I just dont think the Monster gets its due credit. Sorry, I don't agree that most people consider it in the same category as the other bikes in this topic. I dont think they do.

The reality is that the old Ducati SF is no longer considered by the industry or press either. It has been out of production for several years now so it's never included in comparisons. But the fact is that it still compares favorably to the newest bikes in the category. Truth is no other naked has ever or ever will have as much character and personality as the 1098 SFS
DuckMan and Tirefriar like this.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*

Last edited by flynbulldog; Apr 1st, 2019 at 6:45 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 9:57 pm

After 9 years nothing caught my attention to replace my sfs.

In fact I will keep it until it grenades and I have an eye open for a 1198 spare engine, if I find a good one at a good price I will bite.

I like the fact I can do whatever I want with the ecu, the low weight, power, if I want a replacement it will be expensive, and I still don't have any interest for others. The look is also (in my eyes) hard to beat. And I'll never pay 25k for a v4 sf.

I'll probably add an enduro beside it, ktm 690 or maybe crf 450 but the expensive plates here are braking me for that.
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 1:37 am

Quote:
I honestly donít understand the difference.

Ride a Monster, then ride 1098 Streetfighter. ďDifferentĒ is not a strong enough word.

The Monster is a naked bike. There is nothing aggressive about it. Not the aesthetics, not the engine character, and definitely not the majority of the people that ride them. There are a rare few that are the exception.

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 8:56 am
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+

Garage
What motorcycles have you contemplated after owning a SF?

I can thoroughly understand ďcharacterĒ and how much it means to the rider. Iíll take your word for it since Iíve never ridden either the Streetfighter or the M1200.

But when I look at the specs they seem very similar on paper. About the same hp and weight with a torque advantage going to the M1200. Iím not sure how chassis geometry compares. But again, thatís just numbers on paper.

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000, Ninja 400RR
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 9:16 am
Bon Vivant

Duckman has one of the sweetest late model monsters around and I'd add his bike to my stable in a heartbeat. And I understand his love for the bike, its nimble, light, loaded with grunt and just an all-around fun motorcycle. In some ways it asks less from a rider and is easier to ride than the SF is.

Now - I just remembered why we dont see comparisons online or in the press where the Monster is included; Last year Ducati NA issued a statement that they would no-longer supply bikes to the press for reviews or comparisons, Thus the bike is left out and in my view its also left out of our collective naked bike paradigm as well. At the time I thought it was a bad choice for Ducati to pull out of that type of marketing and in my opinion its starting to show that it was a bad choice.

Duckman, remember that the SFS has a unique engine with 43 degrees of cam overlap, 1198 exhaust porting and injectors with 1098 displacement and that distinctive dry clutch rattle - none of the newer Ducati engines can match its rawness or it's radical character. Numbers on paper will never tell the real story. Then there's the strange re-worked 1098 SBK frame and stretched swingarm that only the SF used. It's a unique combination and from what I've seen most people have a hard time with it. Only guys that are determined and excited to tame it will persevere enough to bring out the best in that bike. It takes time and work and most riders never get there.
Austen likes this.

Vintagedesmo.com

Last edited by flynbulldog; Apr 2nd, 2019 at 12:00 pm.
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 10:44 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
Duckman has one of the sweetest late model monsters around and I'd add his bike to my stable in a heartbeat. And I understand his love for the bike, its nimble, light, loaded with grunt and just an all-around fun motorcycle. In some ways it requires less of a rider and is easier to ride than the SF is.

Now - I just remembered why we dont see comparisons online or in the press where the Monster is included; Last year Ducati NA issued a statement that they would no-longer supply bikes to the press for reviews or comparisons, Thus the bike is left out and in my view its also left out of our collective naked bike paradigm as well. At the time I thought it was a bad choice for Ducati to pull out of that type of marketing and in my opinion its starting to show that it was a bad choice.

Duckman, remember that the SFS has a unique engine with 43 degrees of cam overlap, 1198 exhaust porting and injectors with 1098 displacement and that distinctive dry clutch rattle - none of the newer Ducati engines can match its rawness or it's radical character. Numbers on paper will never tell the real story. Then there's the strange re-worked 1098 SBK frame and stretched swingarm that only the SF used. It's a unique combination and from what I've seen most people have a hard time with it. Only guys that are determined and excited to tame it will persevere enough to bring out the best in that bike. It takes time and work and most riders never get there.

Mike
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 10:50 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
...In some ways it requires less of a rider and is easier to ride than the SF is.

What? Did you really say that? Mike I swear, I try to be nice and you come out with something like this. Jeez. The arrogance is a bit hard to take.

I would not compare the older Monsters to the older Streetfighter in any way. Totally different bike. Iíve been referring to the M1200.

Mike
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 11:57 am
Bon Vivant

Quote:
What? Did you really say that? Mike I swear, I try to be nice and you come out with something like this. Jeez. The arrogance is a bit hard to take.

I would not compare the older Monsters to the older Streetfighter in any way. Totally different bike. I’ve been referring to the M1200.

Hmmm I think that statement came out wrong, what I meant was that the Monster asks less from a rider and to me its easier to ride than the Streetfighter is. I wasnt trying to say that Streetfighter riders (me included) are somehow more skilled than other riders. I'm a pretty mediocre rider and I know it. What I really mean is that the SF takes a long time and some determination to get comfortable on it - that's all. I dont think most people get on the SF and really like it right off the bat.

(I edited that sentence in the original post)

Vintagedesmo.com

post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBeast View Post
I would love the Super Duke R but keeping my SF1098 though )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow!
StreetBeast likes this.

Losers always whine about 'their best'. Winners go home and fvck the prom queen.
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 1:54 pm

Here is my take... Been a loyal Ducatisti for almost two decades. Raced for the last ten. I have ridden just about every bike mentioned in this thread.

Love the Tuono V4 Factory. But its about as sexy as a mans ass. Some of the modded ones I have seen are not to bad.

Almost bought a SFS two years ago but kinda wanted something different than a Ducati. Ended up with a Brutale 1090RR.

WOW what a bike!. Actually kinda turned me off to Ducati the bike was so good at everything. All I could think is wow my Ducatis are missing the mark big time.

I have never been an I-4 fan until I got on the MV.

Brutale has as much soul. Actually more in my opinion. That motor is just magic. They way it howls on the top, crazy over runs, and silky smooth everywhere. Plenty of power and great torque down low. Riding in town with traffic is a joy unlike a Ducati. The chassis is light years ahead of anything Ducati has put out. Including the super bikes (have not been on a V4 yet so can not comment on that one). Yes its amazing. I have raced Ducati's for almost a decade and I can say the MV kills them in handling out of the box.

Brutale is way more comfortable also... Can ride that bike all day for weeks on end.

Totally unexpected but that MV changed me. I have since got an F4 track bike because I liked the Brutale so much.

No bike I have been on has the fun factor and special feeling of the 1090rr while being an amazingly livable street bike and good looking.

Now if Ducati builds a V4 Naked with a super bike chassis I'll have one for sure!
flynbulldog and Desmofreak like this.

2015 Panigale 1299s, 2011 848evo (race bike), 2010 MV F4 (track toy), 2010 Mv Brutale 1090RR, 2007 S4RS (all custom)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode