What motorcycles have you contemplated after owning a SF? - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2019, 9:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
I didnt like the looks or finishes of the first gen Tuono v4 1000 and opted for the S1000R as well, but when the 1100 factory came out I was smitten with the new look, the better low-end, and the RSV4 bodywork. Yeah the S1000R still does some things better than the TV4 factory but the Tuono is so much better looking and that V4 engine is in a class of it's own.

From the seat of the pants I think the TV4 is the quickest of them all - if not its the most satisfying. Both bikes are worlds better than the SF in instilling confidence in the rider and ease of use.. The biggest downside to my first gen S1000R was the suspension; that Electronic suspension system was fine on the track but utter crap for normal everyday riding. Both the SFS and the Tuono factory with their Ohlins supensions are so much better.
Personally I wouldn't say the Tuono 1100 is better looking. I find the S1000r more attractive in a odd ugly way. To each of its own!

My friend has a 2017 Tuono RR. We've done a few straight line runs. We haven't had a clean all out race where we row through the gears but we've raced many times from 5th and 6th gear doing 30-50mph just to see the torque. Surpsingly the S1000r outpulls the Tuono everytime. Its like as if the S1000R started a gear lower than the Tuono everytime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2019, 9:40 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
Personally I wouldn't say the Tuono 1100 is better looking. I find the S1000r more attractive in a odd ugly way. To each of its own!

My friend has a 2017 Tuono RR. We've done a few straight line runs. We haven't had a clean all out race where we row through the gears but we've raced many times from 5th and 6th gear doing 30-50mph just to see the torque. Surpsingly the S1000r outpulls the Tuono everytime. Its like as if the S1000R started a gear lower than the Tuono everytime.
Tuono is thin on low to midrange... top gear pulls are not its thing but drop to 1st for 30-50 and results may be different (though with the way BMW underrates their power it could be closer than some would think). Folks interested in high gear shenanigans should just buy the KTM because nothing else comes close... but if you like winding it out then the Tuono might be your huckleberry.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"

Last edited by DaveK; Mar 29th, 2019 at 10:50 am.
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 12:28 pm
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+

Garage
Serious question: why donít Streetfighter guys consider this a Streetfighter? I think this is one of the most beautiful naked bikes Ducati has ever sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
GOLD MEMBER likes this.

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000, Ninja 400RR

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 1:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
Serious question: why donít Streetfighter guys consider this a Streetfighter? I think this is one of the most beautiful naked bikes Ducati has ever sold.

Because it's a Monster...which could be classified as a streetfighter, but there's only one Streetfighter...
flynbulldog and Tirefriar like this.

Black 2014 Speed Triple R
White 2010 Streetfighter (sold)

-you only live once, and I feel like I'm running out of time...
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 1:36 pm

Garage
You talk about the KTM, BMW, and Ape as being substitutes. Why not this bike?

Mike
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 2:29 pm

Quote:
You talk about the KTM, BMW, and Ape as being substitutes. Why not this bike?

In actuality, it's a naked bike...not a streetfighter

post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 2:47 pm

Garage
I honestly donít understand the difference.

Mike
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 3:34 pm

Quote:
I honestly donít understand the difference.

Not enough gnarliness...
flynbulldog likes this.

post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 3:37 pm
Bon Vivant

A streetfighter is traditionally a stripped down SBK with standard bars and the fairings removed. All the bikes we are discussing are based on superbikes. The Monster is its own thing and I consider it a standard bike, not a stripped down sportbike. But I do see where you are coming from and for me the Monster is a viable alternative to the the SF - especially the older S4R and the latest 1200R.

The big problem for most of us came when the S4R was discontinued the new Monsters topped out at 1100 air-cooled versions only. At that point the Monster was pretty watered down and could not compete with the bikes in the Hyper-naked category. When the SF was discontinued Ducati tried to bring the liquid cooled Monster back, and the bike is pretty decent but, by that time nobody cared and most of the magazines and reviewers didn't put the Monster in the same class as the bikes we are discussing. And unfortunately that feeling is still with us today. Most people would like to see Ducati build another Streetfighter - A bike based on the Superbike.

For what it's worth I did get a chance to ride the SFS and the 1200R back to back and the monster felt a little long and low comparably. A bit like a cruiser.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Monster!
DuckMan likes this.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 3:55 pm

Garage
What motorcycles have you contemplated after owning a SF?

I get the Superbike connection. Itís just the rest of the industry now groups all those types of bike as super nakeds. Streetfighter really isnít a genre any more. Itís just the name Ducati gave to their super naked at the time. Most people now consider the Monster 1200R in that same category. Iím surprised it doesnít get more respect from Ducati owners.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode