Rapidbike EVO install and Question - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2015, 10:24 pm Thread Starter

Rapidbike EVO install and Question

Hey all,

Well i went a little different route and I am installing the Rapidbike Evo. Seems like a good option these days. I will post some pics of the install soon but ran into a snag. I cant really access the crank position sensor. It seems to have metal rings like the injectors but they are not very accessible to remove... an one any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2015, 10:34 pm

Funny enough, I just began my install. The crank sensor connectors are in the same area as O2 sensor 1. I was able to wiggle it out on the left side of the bike. It may help to release the plastic cabling clip first that is holding all the cables together. I used a U-shaped wire to gently pull the cabling out enough for me to get to the connectors.

2012 Streetfighter 848
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2015, 8:28 am Thread Starter

OK, I found it. Thanks! I completed most of the install (I think) but other than some of the connectors not being where the instructions say they are... it took a little more time. O2 sensor 2 is also in the area under the seat, not on the right side of the bike. Some issues:

1. My negative battery connector is not long enough, am I ok to ground on the chassis?
2. Switched polarity, the kit instructions say sometimes the polarity is reversed and they include an adapter if thats the case. Im assuming the plugs would not fit if thats the case, is that correct?
3. It says to install under the bottom right under the fairing, there is some metal i can zip tie it to, but the exhaust is not to far away...is it ok?

I will also try to post some pics, I have to travel for work so will only get back to this Sunday.

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2015, 2:15 pm

Yeah, the instructions are tailored to the 848/1098 superbikes, so some of the connection locations differ than the SF848. Are you running your wiring so that the RB module mounts in the belly pan? I initially started that route, but felt that the cabling would be too messy on the right side of the bike. I'm trying to figure a way out to mount it under the seat/tank area.

1. You can probably just add some wire to that connection and just make it longer. If you are good with soldering, should be easy. Otherwise, I thought the same thing...that grounding to the chassis should work.

2. I have not gotten that far yet, I'm still getting my cable routing sorted for the alternate mounting. My thought was once everything is connected and ready, just start up the software, turn on the bike and see if the module powers up. If it doesn't, then add the polarity cable. I hope this doesn't harm anything since really the only affect should be no power.

3. This is why I started looking into mounting the module under the seat. I was concerned about the heat with the module mounted in the belly pan. Although now I think about it, it's just as hot under the seat as well, so maybe no difference. I think the kit included a velcro adhesive strip which I assume is to be used to mount to the inside of the belly pan.

BTW, you have any pics of your install? I can grab some tonight and upload when I get home.

2012 Streetfighter 848
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2015, 4:15 pm

If the exhaust valve servo motor is deleted from under the seat you should have plenty of room in a better place than the belly pan.

Addendum: This stuff http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEGS-Perform...-/310658460395 works well for heat shielding.

---------------
2012 SF848
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2015, 4:34 pm

Yeah, my servo motor is long gone. Thanks for the link! Much appreciated!

2012 Streetfighter 848
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2015, 11:23 pm Thread Starter

Yes, trying to install in the belly pan. Im toying with maybe making a mount by using the two screws in the front of the belly pan... again not decided yet. Yeah the right side is a bit of a mess but not as bad as I initially thought.

Regarding polarity, I did get a message from Rapid bike and suggested exactly what you said and not to start the bike. So I guess its left to be seen. I did take some pics, will try to upload as well... and I thought of removing the airbox to tidy everything up...but then again, might be more work...lol. Ill decide in a few.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2015, 7:49 am Thread Starter

Hmm, servo motor, so we dont need this? Ill have to look more info on this.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2015, 7:56 am Thread Starter

Injector 1 was definitely hard, its tough to loosen the clip so you can pull the connection. Here are a few pics of other connections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Injector 1.jpg
Views:	1057
Size:	701.4 KB
ID:	525465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Injector 2.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	807.2 KB
ID:	525473   Click image for larger version

Name:	TPS Tap.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	515.2 KB
ID:	525481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crank Sensor.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	623.4 KB
ID:	525489   Click image for larger version

Name:	O2 1 under airbox.jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	609.0 KB
ID:	525497  

Click image for larger version

Name:	02 2 under seat.jpg
Views:	1886
Size:	709.1 KB
ID:	525505   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150326_015620.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	668.9 KB
ID:	525513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150326_015542.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	668.5 KB
ID:	525521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150326_015536.jpg
Views:	1086
Size:	667.4 KB
ID:	525529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150326_021216.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	772.5 KB
ID:	525537  

post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2015, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja72774 View Post
Hmm, servo motor, so we dont need this? Ill have to look more info on this.
Mechanically it's only there to restrict the exhaust at certain points under no-load revving apparently to help pass noise emission requirements. If you just disconnect it, the ECU will throw a CEL (the wrench) and set an error code. This can be fixed by a reflash (several options there, check the FAQ for details; I used DucatiDiag for disabling the servo check as well as calibrating the speed display and turning the fans on 10F lower) or something called a Duc-EE that replaces the servo motor with an electronic emulator to fool the ECU into thinking the motor is there. I know there's several theories about the flapper helping low end torque, etc., but on my 2012 SF848, both the stock ECU as well as the DP slipon ECU only activated under no-load revving conditions according to a couple of hundred miles of datalogging I did on the servo pins. There was zero difference in the bike's performance characteristics with the servo and cable removed and the ECU error code disabled. The flapper is spring loaded and defaults to wide open so I felt no overwhelming need to perform pipe surgery to remove it. Anyway, that's this guy's experience with my bike, my logs and my ECU mods. YMMV and I'm sure it will....

---------------
2012 SF848
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode