Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum - View Single Post - Slotting the Belly Pan
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 2012, 11:37 am Thread Starter
kglesq

Slotting the Belly Pan

So I took off all of the lower fairing bits in preparation for the installation of a Termi full system, and as so many of you know from personal experience, I had to remove the center stand in order to remove the belly pan, because the center stand interferes with access to the rearmost fastners for the belly pan.

I decided to modify the belly pan so that I will never again need to remove the center stand in order to remove the pan. It's a very simple proedure--I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel, but a hacksaw would work just as well. Then I cleaned things up with a file and finished with a fine grit sandpaper to make sure that nothing would tear the grommets.

The two aft bolts are now locktited in place with their grommets. To remove the pan, I undo the two forward fasteners, tilt it down about 20 degrees, and pull forward. It then pops right off. To install, reverse the order. Note that it can be helpful to place a bit of silicone lube (or even WD40, though I think the rubber grommet will like the silicone much better) on the slot so that it does not grab on the grommet as you slide it in place.

The fit is just as solid as it was before, but now removing the pan is a 1 minute job.

Photos are below. Now off to the powder coater to get the stuff shot satin black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1454
Size:	800.5 KB
ID:	106240   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[1].jpg
Views:	1282
Size:	859.4 KB
ID:	106241   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[2].jpg
Views:	2892