For Sale or Trade 2000 Bimota SB8RS - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2019, 7:56 am Thread Starter

For Sale or Trade 2000 Bimota SB8RS

2000 Bimota SB8RS
I bought this bike from an infamous Bimota collector in Denver. Turns out I'm not a collector and would rather move on. This bike is for Riders. ~26K miles. Probably less than 100 of these "RS" still exist. This is Old School Superbike Exotica. Vt-win Engine from the Suzuki TLR. Frame and Bodywork via Italian dreamers in Rimini. Arrow Pipes (factory option), rearsets, Brembo brake and clutch lever upgrades. I have Silver as well as Black wheel sets, spare unpainted bodywork if you wanna track it.
$9k, will ship. Also open to trades for 998's, special pre 09 Liter monsters, 999S or R's in good shape, etc.

I bought this bike after selling my 888 SPO, and I miss not having a Duc in the garage!
Bike in Santa Fe NM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190616_141152.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	11.31 MB
ID:	946143   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0155.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	946145  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2019, 8:08 am
Prolific Poster Award

With 26k on it, the bike has obviously been used and isnít a display model. What donít you like about it ? Itís a pretty exclusive ride. Why would you rather have a Ducati ? Iíve had some rare vehicles before and I use them . They were built to be ridden.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2019, 8:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
With 26k on it, the bike has obviously been used and isnít a display model. What donít you like about it ? Itís a pretty exclusive ride. Why would you rather have a Ducati ? Iíve had some rare vehicles before and I use them . They were built to be ridden.
Mostly it's just wanting something new. May go for an electric. I also suffer from Tall guy sportbike syndrome. I'm 6'4" and though I have no issue with the sportbike crouch and folding up the legs, I don't fit as well on some models and as I've turned 50, my hips are telling me they don't like the riding position of this bike much anymore. Another big factor is the age of my kids. When they were younger I would head out on rides to get some 'Me' time, now I want to spend that time with them, so the bike is just sitting.

Forgot to mention in the ad, bike has factory fuel trimmer so you can easily smooth out the issues the SB8's were known for. Not an issue for me, even though I live at ~7400 ft elevation here in NM
WileECoyote likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2019, 8:36 am
Prolific Poster Award

Sometimes my hips talk to me too when I ride a sport bike and Iím only 5í7Ē.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2019, 11:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post

The SB8R is a very polarizing bike appearance wise, I just find it sexy as hell. The Arrows on the TL-R engine sound killer. However, as far as I know from my experience, is not the best bike for street riding, well maybe for short distances on the twisties devoid of any stop lights and/or traffic. Hence the reason for sale as the models seller is listing are much more practical. The SB8R doesn't likeThe clip on controls are all but blocked out of view by the ram air tubes which feed air to the massive 59mm Morelli shower type injectors. Ergos are for someone with long arms/upper torso and very short legs. Very aggressive handling, an unforgiving bike. Its definitely an exclusive ride and draws a crowd but at the end of the day when you realize that most of the CF fairings are unobtanium any small rock bouncing off the fairings makes you shudder.

Curious what trimmer you have? Factory one allowed for 8 (?) presets and was not nearly as effective as infinite adjusting unit, the name escapes my memory but it was rare as hens teeth from day one. I am not sure the lower fairing is stock, I do belie the RS came all black and the lower fairing was painted CF. SB8R had the red lower fairing. The clutch cover has been replaced and although the fish bowl see through effect is not my favorite it should take care of one of the major sources of the oil leaks on the TL-R motor. The front Brembo can and should be upgraded to something more massive and effective, ISR 6 pot calipers come to mind. It make the bike not only stop on a dime but pick it up as well However, if you are going to pamper the throttle and don't ride it in anger, the stock set up will suffice.

SB8RS is much rarer than the SB8R of which only 50 were officially imported into US. If you are looking for something super rare and are ok with an elevated level of attention at every bike show you attend then this bike is worth considering.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 7:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirefriar View Post
However, as far as I know from my experience, is not the best bike for street riding, well maybe for short distances on the twisties devoid of any stop lights and/or traffic. Hence the reason for sale as the models seller is listing are much more practical.
uhhhh, i thought this was a Ducati Forum not a sport touring forum? Same can be said about pretty much all of the Ducati Superbikes of the same vintage. Not really the reason for the sale. This bike has over 26K miles and rising, that's a lot of short distances I guess..

Quote:
The clip on controls are all but blocked out of view by the ram air tubes which feed air to the massive 59mm Morelli shower type injectors. Ergos are for someone with long arms/upper torso and very short legs. Very aggressive handling, an unforgiving bike. Its definitely an exclusive ride and draws a crowd but at the end of the day when you realize that most of the CF fairings are unobtanium any small rock bouncing off the fairings makes you shudder.
I've put plenty of seat time on this bike, the Ram air tubes only block the proximal third of the clip on's so you can't see your brake fluid level at all times, which is kinda not an issue. As far as the fairings,yeah, pretty much the same for a 916 SPS, etc.

Quote:
Curious what trimmer you have? Factory one allowed for 8 (?) presets and was not nearly as effective as infinite adjusting unit, the name escapes my memory but it was rare as hens teeth from day one. I am not sure the lower fairing is stock, I do belie the RS came all black and the lower fairing was painted CF. SB8R had the red lower fairing.
Bike has the factory trimmer, ~8 settings. Bike runs fine here at ~7400 feet here in Santa Fe. Lower fairing is from an 8R, good Eye. Original owner (I am the 2nd) had 3 SB8RS's and a stockpile of parts, turned one into a Nuda, etc. He liked to mix and match more than i. I go back and forth on whether or not I like it. All black is a bit monotonous sometimes. I have unpainted Bimota non CF fairing panels and I'm thinking of painting a set back to match the original.

Quote:
The front Brembo can and should be upgraded to something more massive and effective, ISR 6 pot calipers come to mind. It make the bike not only stop on a dime but pick it up as well However, if you are going to pamper the throttle and don't ride it in anger, the stock set up will suffice.

I upgraded the brake and clutch master's to Brembo's which increased the feel and stopping power immensely. Bike has no trouble stopping or going! Bikes in 2001 didn't come with radial monoblocks...

Quote:
SB8RS is much rarer than the SB8R of which only 50 were officially imported into US. If you are looking for something super rare and are ok with an elevated level of attention at every bike show you attend then this bike is worth considering.
Thanks for the comments, hope you don't mind me tossing some back! It's a great bike. This example is not a great choice if you just want a collector, though if you're looking for something to park in your living room or art gallery for wow factor, Boom! Better as a runner though. It's not a stock unmolested low mileage example. It's a rare visceral example of italian exotica that appeals to some, not to others. There is no traction control, no ABS, no nanny. The TLR engine will go forever and if it doesn't parts are easy to find.
WileECoyote likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 9:28 am Thread Starter

Price Drop $8500
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 10:27 am

Have you thought about listing it via bringatrailer?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 4:38 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, may do that!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2019, 8:00 am Thread Starter

Bumpity and price drop, $8000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode