Shell Advance Ultra Vs Shell Advance Ducati - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 11:25 pm

Garage
In brief - yes, Ducati and Shell have a marketing alliance to promote sales, so there is a difference in marketing at least. I looked long enough to realize Shell was hiding the info on both of these blends, Shell Advance Ultra 4T 15W-50 and Shell Advance Ducati 15W-50, so I am just guessing but I think there is no difference except price. Shell just has press releases. Every other oil I've searched for had standard product content data sheets easily available for comparison.

In sum, both of these oils are for fuel injected, O2 sensors, wet clutches and catalytic converters of which I have none, so I don't care. And perhaps a factory fill oil during the break-in period is only for that purpose? No marketing whiz is going to suggest to switch to a more appropriate oil after the initial break-in,...
Mojo66 likes this.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746

Last edited by RockAZ; Jul 23rd, 2019 at 11:41 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2019, 6:28 am Thread Starter

Garage
The Technical Data sheet for Shell Advance 4T Ultra 15W-50 is well publicized such as the following:
https://shell-livedocs.com/data/publ...c9a541ba8d.pdf
The same cannot be said about Shell Advance Ducati 15W-50
However, within this above Technical Data sheet, it states that the product is endorsed by Ducati which lead me to believe both product are the same. Hard evidence to this suspicion would be welcomed.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun

Last edited by DarR; Jul 24th, 2019 at 6:40 am.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2019, 8:25 am

Garage
That isn't much of a data sheet.

Here is one for Mobil 1 - Phosphorus and Zinc levels, etc
https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us...pecs-guide.pdf

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2019, 2:26 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Phosphorus and Zinc levels and that's about it.
I'm not suggesting that the Shell Tech sheet is all encompassing but the Mobil 1 is even less.
It just looks bigger because it covers all viscosity's. The Shell doc is 5W-50 specific.
Either way, they both don't tell us much.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2019, 7:37 am

Rex,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier but I was in Oshkosh all last week. I'm sorry your feathers got ruffled about your Buggy Buddy, that was not my intention. However since not one of my Ducati motorcycles has a 4 cylinder opposed air cooled VW engine, I will use the Shell Advance 4T oil in them and not consider a specific aviation oil for motorcycle use. Thanks in advance.
Uli-

'06 Multistrada, '05 S2R 800...Maude's
'93 888 SPO, '74 750 GT
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2019, 8:30 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAZ View Post
In sum, both of these oils are for fuel injected, O2 sensors, wet clutches and catalytic converters of which I have none, so I don't care. And perhaps a factory fill oil during the break-in period is only for that purpose? No marketing whiz is going to suggest to switch to a more appropriate oil after the initial break-in,...
I thought we were supposed to use non-synthetic during break-in!! (since we don't argue enough about oil I figured we might as well get EVERY source of debate right out there so we can pound the horse well and truly into the ground)

My opinion (which is worth exactly as much as any other non-petroleum engineer/scientist) is that there is soo much latitude in modern motors to variation in oil compositions that oils for a specific engine/clutch (weight and additives or no) combo are nearly all statistically identical. Any durability variation due to oil is likely to be out near the end of life of the motor and statistically far below other sources of reliability variability.

Having said that... I still use good oil because it makes me feel like I'm taking care of my bike - and what the hell do I know anyway.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode