Ethanol... - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2018, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
Did you click on the Lucas Oil link? Did you read it? Try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I didn't see a link in your post, are you talking about this link - https://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-t...th-stabilizers - posted by RockAZ?

I did read it, I didn't see anything stated about 100% enthanol or additional information about what it does with the water enthanol attracts.

Your response seems to have a bit of a tone to it, not sure why as I'm just asking questions and sharing information, I'm just starting to learn about this and how ethanol effects the plastic fuel tanks as it's a concern for me. I then shared with you information of what I had learned about what these additives are suppose to do from what I thought was a good source. Explaining that they do a bit more than just "keep the water that it attracts in solution" as you had stated.

Sorry if that didn't come across right and pissed you off or put you on the defensive, not my intention.

Jason

Last edited by Team Serpent; Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:30 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2018, 12:47 pm

is it that hard for people to find ethanol free gas? almost every bike shop in my area sells ethanol free gas like T4
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Serpent View Post
? I don't see one recomneded here for 100% ethanol, maybe a link you meant to post didn't take?
From the first link that RockAZ posted:
Quote:
Lucas Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers was developed to specifically address issues associated with using ethanol based fuels. This applies to E-10, E-15, E-85, pure ethanol and any mixtures in between including gasoline. Our Product is completely soluble in all ethanol fuels and will not harm filters. Lucas Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers contains effective additives to prevent rust and corrosion associated with the use of ethanol fuels.

KEY BENEFITS
Cleans injectors, valve seats, combustion chambers and other critical fuel components
Stabilizes fuel and prevents varnish & gum formation in ethanol and gasoline
Combats deposits and protects your engine oil lubricants from the harmful effects of alcohol combustion

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Thanks for pointing that out! I was looking for 100% and didn't make the association! I guess pure would equal 100% Guess I need to open my mind and not just my eyes

Jason
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2018, 1:16 pm
Moderator in moderation

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlien View Post
is it that hard for people to find ethanol free gas? almost every bike shop in my area sells ethanol free gas like T4
No gas stations in MA sell EtOH free gas through pumps. A far as I know, the closest station is a Stewart's in NY (about 2 hours drive).
You can buy VP fuel in a can for 10 bucks a gallon.

Mike
2006 ST3 - 2004 KLR 650 (the Truck)
NEDOC
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukason View Post
No gas stations in MA sell EtOH free gas through pumps. A far as I know, the closest station is a Stewart's in NY (about 2 hours drive).
You can buy VP fuel in a can for 10 bucks a gallon.
not at a gas station, I buy T4 at my local bike shop. do shops up there not sell it?
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2018, 1:33 pm
ELK

the fuel tanks are made by Acerbis from a type of nylon known as 6/6, aka Polyamide 6, or PA6. Nylon 6/6 absorbs water, up to 8% by weight. The water molecules displace the nylon molecules, deforming the nylon molecular matrix. Additionally, the increase in spacing between the nylon molecules decreases its stability and allows the nylon to move.

Ethanol is hygroscopic and draws moisture from the air. This makes it heavier and, when there is sufficient moisture content, phase separation occurs at the bottom of the tank and the water/ethanol separates from the gasoline. The released water is absorbed by the nylon tank.

The nylon can dry out again if no/limited moisture is in the tank, decreasing the swelling.

Sea Foam contains isopropyl alcohol which solubilizes free standing water in gasoline. Ethanol does the same.

When ethanol containing fuel reaches a saturation point, the ethanol and water phase separate as distinct layers at the bottom of the tank (an ethanol/eater mix and a separate layer of water below it). Adding isopropyl alcohol can solubilize the water, but now you have even more alcohol in your fuel.

Exacerbating all of this is that the amount of water ethanol can hold in gasoline before phase separation occurs is temperature dependent. A drop from room temperature to 20F decreases the amount of water the ethanol will hold in solution by over 30%.

The only real solution is avoiding ethanol laced fuel.
Team Serpent likes this.

'15 BMW S1000RR, '10 Streetfighter S, '07 1098S Tricolore, '05 999
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2018, 5:53 pm
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+

Garage
So you actually think it's water that causing our tanks to warp and expand. Water? Seriously?

Wow! That's some whoop ass H2O! I'm surprised it doesn't melt all those bottles of water on the shelves at the convenient stations.

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Just my 2 cents worth.
Only ever use ethanol free. Usually Shell or Ultramar. Toronto area.
Plus K100 for my fuel stabiliser.
In the past I had to go out and let the build up inside my gas tank out.
This year, don`t know why but no build up of gas.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
So you actually think it's water that causing our tanks to warp and expand. Water? Seriously?

Wow! That's some whoop ass H2O! I'm surprised it doesn't melt all those bottles of water on the shelves at the convenient stations.
Ok, I guess it wasn't me... you're just snarky to everyone.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode