Red oil light - 07 S2R 1000 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2017, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Red oil light - 07 S2R 1000

Hey..

I was actually just getting ready to stow the bike for the winter. I'm waiting on my clutch tool to do some inspection of clutch noise, and as such the bike has seen little use since purchasing..
There's a little expansion to the tank that went away really fast when nearly emptied, so I decided I'd remove it and let it really dry out, then switch to ethanol free gas, as I'm lucky enough to have a station nearby.

I noticed the oil window seemed way too full, but as I was going to run the bike with some fuel sta-bil in the lines to winterize, thought I would drain it and do an oil change, as I can't recall what the previous owner said about when he'd last done one.

Red light turned off shortly after ignition, but then came back on. I let the bike idle for 5 minutes to work the sta-bil through the fuel lines, and shut it down..
As the bike was idling, the oil looked at the perfect full line.. I don't know if this is ideal, or if the measure must be used when the bike is level and not running.

Can the light come on with too much oil, or did the previous owner over-fill to compensate for a low oil light?

As it stands, I haven't done that oil change. I thought I would take stock and try to not jump to any conclusions..

Any thoughts?

07 Monster S2R 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2017, 8:40 pm

How are you measuring your oil level, while the bike is on the kickstand, or level on the ground?

If on the kickstand, and you see oil, you're too full, and likely the cause of your oil light.

General approach:

Make sure the engine is warmed to operating temperature. After turning it off, allow the oil to drain down from the top end by waiting a few minutes. Bikes with a sight glass require that you hold the bike level – either from the saddle or beside the bike – look at the window conveniently located on the bottom of the engine to make sure the oil level is between the two marks on the case.

Last edited by Munchdog; Oct 11th, 2017 at 8:49 pm.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2017, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

Hey,

It's level and on a pitbull rear stand, so the rear of the bike would have been raised slightly from level in that axis anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchdog View Post
How are you measuring your oil level , while the bike is on the kickstand, or level on the ground?

If on the kickstand, and you see oil, you're too full, and likely the cause of your oil light.

General approach:

Make sure the engine is warmed to operating temperature. After turning it off, allow the oil to drain down from the top end by waiting a few minutes. Bikes with a sight glass require that you hold the bike level – either from the saddle or beside the bike – look at the window conveniently located on the bottom of the engine to make sure the oil level is between the two marks on the case.

07 Monster S2R 1000

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Replace the sensor with a mechanical oil pressure gauge. If it doesn't come up to pressure in short order, turn it off and determine if you have a pressure relief valve problem like a broken spring or stuck valve.

If I read your post literally, it says you ran the bike for 5 minutes with the low pressure light on. You do know what the light is for, right?

Don't know how a high oil level could prevent oil pressure in the pump system.

Being that it's an air cooled engine, the only way for the oil level to go over full is for someone to put in too much oil or for it to be contaminated with fuel. The latter is highly unlikely in a fuel injected motor, but a malfunctioning FI can stick open. Smell the oil before anything else to make sure it doesn't contain fuel.

2001 Monster S4
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2017, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahjah View Post
Replace the sensor with a mechanical oil pressure gauge. If it doesn't come up to pressure in short order, turn it off and determine if you have a pressure relief valve problem like a broken spring or stuck valve.

If I read your post literally, it says you ran the bike for 5 minutes with the low pressure light on. You do know what the light is for, right?

Don't know how a high oil level could prevent oil pressure in the pump system.

Being that it's an air cooled engine, the only way for the oil level to go over full is for someone to put in too much oil or for it to be contaminated with fuel. The latter is highly unlikely in a fuel injected motor, but a malfunctioning FI can stick open. Smell the oil before anything else to make sure it doesn't contain fuel.
Heh, yes I know a red light is a red light.

Well, the light is on from the start, and then goes out when running.
Since purchasing it's gone out fairly quickly, and as a new bike, I literally don't know it's mannerisms at all yet. Quirks, etc. If the timing varies based on temperatures or what.. Outside temps being lower than when I purchased, etc.. I'm in Washington and it's significantly colder than when I bought it.

This is all brand new to me, and most posts I've googled seem to be people eyeing the red light and seeing them come and go..
Until now, the light had gone right out fairly quickly after ignition.

Sounds like the oil change is in order. Will check out the oil aroma. Seems like it will help me see the quantity of fluid too.. Plus.. Same with the clutch.. I just don't know what the previous owner did or if it was half assed.

Is the raising of the bike on rear stand likely to cause much of anything?

Took the bike down off the rear stand and back onto the kick.. I can see a little oil at the way bottom, but leveled out, the glass is full.. Sounds like too much from the description of the ideal..

Filter and oil arriving tomorrow. I believe the previous owner was using mobil 1 motorcycle 10w-40.

I guess I'll use the same unless someone stops me before I do it

Rob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchdog View Post
How are you measuring your oil level, while the bike is on the kickstand, or level on the ground?

General approach:

So..
I have my oil change supplies at the ready, decided to try to warm up the bike again to allow the oil to flow to change it..
No red light.

Also, once I'd let it come right up to temp (watching it the whole time) my clutch slipping noise also disappeared. This is both awesome news, and kind of puzzling.

The only difference is..Took the bike down off the rear stand.. Different day? I let the bike run for way longer this time.
Is it possible for the clutch to be a little noisy if the bike is cold?

I'll go ahead with the oil change and we'll see how we fare I guess.

Thanks for the replies either way. Something tells me I'll be back

Rob.

07 Monster S2R 1000

Last edited by Chuckracer; Oct 18th, 2017 at 7:57 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode