Why does clutch fluid turn black so soon. - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2018, 1:32 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Possible... was planning to vacuum bleed the whole damned thing but I'm getting air through the bleeder valve threads so I needed to pick up some teflon tape to tighten up the vacuum.
Put either Vaseline or some grease over the threads. Don't need tape.

Mark
2018 MV Agusta Dragster RC. Been riding since 1966
Link to Tag Game List - #400 to ? https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2018, 2:11 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Possible... was planning to vacuum bleed the whole damned thing but I'm getting air through the bleeder valve threads so I needed to pick up some teflon tape to tighten up the vacuum.
How you know that air go through bleeder valve threads? I think about these because in last year we are probably bleed system 30x so maybe is here problem. No leak.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 2:16 pm

I have found it was the heat that the clutch experiences being attached to the engine. I replaced my line and the hose between the reservoir and master cylinder and it went from turning black in a week to over a month.

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 4:14 pm
SP3
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega View Post
There's lot's of theories about why the clutch fluid turns black on a Ducati. Do a post search — the question goes back 15 years, but never resolved satisfactorily. All the hearsay answers are partial and left untested. Kind of like an oil thread.
Still haven't added or bled my clutch since I installed the quad ring. This 4+ years since.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hype...ml#post3710666

I'd say that's pretty well 'proven' or 'resolved'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minitwin51 View Post
I have found it was the heat that the clutch experiences being attached to the engine. I replaced my line and the hose between the reservoir and master cylinder and it went from turning black in a week to over a month.
You say it was the heat but then say changing the hose between the res and master has lengthened the darkening period. So, it's not the engine heat.

'91 851 SP3, '66 250 Monza, '99 Monster 900 City, '98 ST2
'99 Monster 750 (slowly disappearing bit by bit), '67 Wards Riverside 250 (fate tbd).
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 4:38 pm
SP3
Prolific Poster Award

No loss of fluid level, little/no change in color/opacity, no change in lever resistance, no change in release point. Since my post in the other thread was from May '14, and I had put a couple thousand miles on it by then, I have to guess that the original install had to be during the previous winter or fall. Regardless, it's closing in on 5 years now. Original seal would require a bleed in the spring just from sitting and was responsible for some missing paint on the lower leading end of the peg bracket. No more of that nonsense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	928603  

'99 Monster 750 (slowly disappearing bit by bit), '67 Wards Riverside 250 (fate tbd).
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3 View Post
Still haven't added or bled my clutch since I installed the quad ring. This 4+ years since.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hype...ml#post3710666

I'd say that's pretty well 'proven' or 'resolved'.

You say it was the heat but then say changing the hose between the res and master has lengthened the darkening period. So, it's not the engine heat.

I had found the heat had degraded my lines faster than the brake lines
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 6:21 pm
SP3
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by minitwin51 View Post
I had found the heat had degraded my lines faster than the brake lines

Did you replace the line between the master and slave? Your original post doesn't specifically say. Only the reservoir to master. If the original hose to the slave was rubber, yes, it was part of the issue, just like when I changed the slave seal. But, I'd guess that the slave line was Teflon which is inert. So, that leaves the reservoir hose (some form of rubber) as the only change.

It's not the heat. The running temp of your engine (and mine, for that matter) hasn't changed. The hose (and my seal) material has.

post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 4:42 am

Garage
Yes it's not heat, brake fluid can handle much higher temperatures than what the engine ever gets too.
The blackening is due to carbon black used in rubber hoses and o-rings wearing over time leaving tiny black particles in the fluid.

If you cant fix it with a hammer, its probably electrical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode