Putoline Engine Oil? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2017, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Putoline Engine Oil?

Hey there guys,

I'm just about to do my first service on my Streetfighter 848, and was wondering if anyone had used, or is using, Putoline engine oil.
Nano Tech 4+ 10w/40 1 ltr | Putoline Shop

I'm suing their brake-fluid and I'm pretty impressed. It seems to keep good consistency and doesn't cloud up.

I'm also thinking of using a K&N filter.
https://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/p...px?prod=KN-153

Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

"Sometimes I amaze even myself."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Those should be perfectly fine. Many people make a big deal over being picky about silly things.

Synthetic oils are better than natural. If you have a wet clutch, you need an oil that is designed for that, which your link seems to be. With a dry clutch, even that doesn't matter.

I've been putting into my Ducati whatever synthetic is easiest to get at any given moment, and changing it every 5K to 6K miles. I use the recommended 20W/50 for most of the riding season, but sometimes switch to 10W/40 for the colder months, when it's usually below 40F out. That seems to have worked fine for the last 260K miles, so I'm calling that good.

PhilB
SP3 likes this.

1993 Ducati Monster M900, bought new, 265K miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17. 1995 M900, was ex-wife's bike, now mine again.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2017, 4:19 pm
Just visiting your planet.

Garage
Some K&N 153 filters don't fit anymore. They redesigned the depth of where the threads begin and some won't grab the nipple to screw on. I've switched to Hiflo Filtro. Not sure if K&N went back to the previous design. Caveat emptor.

2005 ST3
2003 749s

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2017, 1:02 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoncer View Post
Those should be perfectly fine. Many people make a big deal over being picky about silly things.

Synthetic oils are better than natural. If you have a wet clutch, you need an oil that is designed for that, which your link seems to be. With a dry clutch, even that doesn't matter.

I've been putting into my Ducati whatever synthetic is easiest to get at any given moment, and changing it every 5K to 6K miles. I use the recommended 20W/50 for most of the riding season, but sometimes switch to 10W/40 for the colder months, when it's usually below 40F out. That seems to have worked fine for the last 260K miles, so I'm calling that good.

PhilB
Cheers mate.
I live in the UK so it's always the colder months. Haha.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2017, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorik View Post
Some K&N 153 filters don't fit anymore. They redesigned the depth of where the threads begin and some won't grab the nipple to screw on. I've switched to Hiflo Filtro. Not sure if K&N went back to the previous design. Caveat emptor.
K&N suggest this specific filter for my bike, so if there's a problem with fitment they'll have some explaining to do.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ash View Post
Cheers mate.
I live in the UK so it's always the colder months. Haha.
lol. I don't know how cold it is where you are, but in metric terms I run 20W/50 when the temps are generally going to be above 5C, and 10W/40 in months when the ambient temperatures are typically between 5C and -7C. I don't think it's *always* that cold in the UK, but I may be mistaken.

PhilB

1993 Ducati Monster M900, bought new, 265K miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17. 1995 M900, was ex-wife's bike, now mine again.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2017, 4:53 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoncer View Post
lol. I don't know how cold it is where you are, but in metric terms I run 20W/50 when the temps are generally going to be above 5C, and 10W/40 in months when the ambient temperatures are typically between 5C and -7C. I don't think it's *always* that cold in the UK, but I may be mistaken.

PhilB
Haha. We actually had some sun yesterday.

Cheers mate.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2017, 7:03 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
I'd suggest you read your owners manual, and use the oil best suited to your climate.
Since you don't list your location, how can anyone give advice on the best oil for you?

Craig

Ducati 998S FE 2004
Ducati ST4S 2003
Cagiva Mito 125 1993 Bucket racer
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2017, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4265 View Post
I'd suggest you read your owners manual, and use the oil best suited to your climate.
Since you don't list your location, how can anyone give advice on the best oil for you?

Craig

I suggest you actually read my original post, and write a reply that's best suited.
I wasn't asking for suggestions of what oil to use, I was asking if anyone had used the oil I'm intending to use and what they thought.

Thanks for being the first instance of negativity I've encountered on this otherwise great forum.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2017, 8:26 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ash View Post
I suggest you actually read my original post, and write a reply that's best suited.
I wasn't asking for suggestions of what oil to use, I was asking if anyone had used the oil I'm intending to use and what they thought.

Thanks for being the first instance of negativity I've encountered on this otherwise great forum.
Nothing negative in my post, only truth. I did read your post and have never heard of puta line, but I hear it is a swear word for Spaniards . Puta

Use whatever oil you like puta.

How come your suing them for using their brake fluid?

Craig

Ducati 998S FE 2004
Ducati ST4S 2003
Cagiva Mito 125 1993 Bucket racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode