Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Silkolene Pro4 4t Racing 10w-40

9K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  galaxy 
#1 ·
Anyone using SILKOLENE PRO4 4T RACING 10W-40? Opinions, good or bad?
Is it better than Mobil 1 or just more expensive?
Why is it better or is it?

Thanks

Craig

#2 ·
I"m a huge Silkolene fan. I use it in my race bikes (dirt, 2 and 4 stroke) and my 93 900ss. I am going to pro 4 after I break in my new motor. Motorcycle oil is very specific. It not only lubricates the pistons but also the tranny. Gear mash breaks down oil at an incredibly fast rate so automobile oils like Mobil 1 do not protect against gear mash and will break down more quickly than m/c specific oil.

#4 ·
Mobil makes motorcycle specific oils in the Mobil 1 line. JASO MA 10/40 and 20/50, The motorcycle products have 1500 to 1600 ppm Zinc so your gear box will live a long happy life. Mobil does make a automotive 15/50 with 1200 ppm Zinc, I've run this stuff in a Norton Commando for several years with no issues. Nortons and other flat tappet engines need the Zinc to make the camshafts last. You can buy the stuff in auto parts stores and it's made in the USA. I've seen the motorcycle products for $9 to $11. I use it in my MTS. and a BMW R1200R. Motul, Torco syn. Repsol, Agip, Motorex, all $13 to $15 a qt. Is it better? who knows?

You never want to argue religon, politics or the brand of a mans motor oil because that seams to slide back in with religon.

Ken G.

#5 ·
You never want to argue religon, politics or the brand of a mans motor oil because that seams to slide back in with religon.

Ken G.
HA!! Love it!

Craig...if nothing else, thanks for running the correct weight oil in your bike!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.