1/4" metal on drain plug - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2016, 9:37 am Thread Starter
Never Grow Up

Garage
1/4" metal on drain plug

Just changed the oil at 26,000 miles. The shavings on the magnet, I know, are normal. I did a quick search here and some reading but didn't see anything quite like this. Presently, I'm not too concerned but you know what they say . . . ignorance is bliss.

So I thought I'd post a pic for your viewing pleasure.

I should have pulled the screen too, but didn't because I don't have a large enough allen wrench and I need to make a 360 mile loop today. Now what pisses me off is that I'm going to be thinking about this the whole time I'm riding.

Should I be concerned?

VagabondSD
'01 ST2

A bike on the road is worth two in the shed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2016, 6:46 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
That larger piece is ferrous, so it is probably just swarf from the transmission, or a deformed piece of closer half ring that was dropped. Not sure. If there were more of them and they were stuck to the sump screen (nonferrous), I'd be concerned about the oil galley plug backing out. If it really concerns you, dump the oil when you get back and check the sump screen. If you're careful about using a clean bucket and making sure no dirt or road crud gets in the oil from the header pipe or bottom of the engine, you can just put the same oil back in. Maybe filter it if you dump it with some screen or cheese cloth to see if you catch anything else.

Dan. "Painfully mistaking my big talk for the truth" Samantha Fish.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2016, 7:02 am

Garage
That is a good sized piece so I would say something is failing. Likely suspects are springs or bearings. That is not transmission as it is the wrong size/shape.

On your ride I would pay attention to...
Vibrations - could be main bearing flaking
shifting - broken spring from shift arm
noises - bearing with piston hitting head
Starting - starter clutch failure will kick back more and break starter clutch cage.

It is a good idea to put a bit more time on it and pull the oil and magnet again, pay attention to the above things and if something is not right stop riding until you find the cause so you do not create more broken parts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2016, 12:26 pm Thread Starter
Never Grow Up

Garage
Well I flogged it pretty hard for about 80 miles of my favorite twisty turny hilly hyway 94, the merged onto 8 east to Yuma. She purrs with perfection and I'm again in awe at this wonderful motor and bike. Returned yesterday morning. The 8 can be very long and very straight when you're east of the pass.
On the return I ran through 98% of the miles at over 6000rpm in top gear. That's hauling ass. And once again, the girl jumped from my normal 37 mpg to 45mpg. She just loves to run.

I head out to Idaho/Montana/Oregon on Weds morning. I'm going to try to drop the oil into a clean container through a paint strainer and then pull the screen. That's a good suggestion about saving the oil. Hate to think about tossing 4 quarts of New Mobile 1. $$$.

If I accomplish that, I'll post pics here as a follow up. Thanks again for your thoughts.

VagabondSD
'01 ST2

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2016, 7:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
That is a good sized piece so I would say something is failing. Likely suspects are springs or bearings. That is not transmission as it is the wrong size/shape.

On your ride I would pay attention to...
Vibrations - could be main bearing flaking
shifting - broken spring from shift arm
noises - bearing with piston hitting head
Starting - starter clutch failure will kick back more and break starter clutch cage.

It is a good idea to put a bit more time on it and pull the oil and magnet again, pay attention to the above things and if something is not right stop riding until you find the cause so you do not create more broken parts.
Great advice you shared

Need drainage companies in your area, visit Contractor Quotes.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2016, 9:15 am

Garage
PM me if you need any help, I live in Boise Idaho.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:03 am Thread Starter
Never Grow Up

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaltz View Post
PM me if you need any help, I live in Boise Idaho.
Thanks brother!

VagabondSD
'01 ST2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode