Dare I ask about oil? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2015, 11:50 pm

I am a maniac, I use Mobil 1 15-50 automotive (non 4T/motorcycle) full synthetic in my 1098S (dry clutch).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 4:43 am
Come in Spinner :)

Use what you like but I can tell you this, modern car oils don't contain the zinc and phosphorus anti wear additives that dedicated 4T bike oils do.
Cars don't share the same oil between engine and gearbox either.
4T bike oils are made to the old SG formula, car oils have gradually reduced the "good" additives to meet constantly evolving emissions regulations and are up to SM now

2000 853
2007 Cagiva Mito.
1980 and 1978 Ultra lightweight Yamaha SR500 Cafe Racers
1967 500cc Ultra lightweight Triumph Daytona Cafe Racer
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 5:50 am

Garage
I would use it. No question

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 7:37 am

Between about 1935 and 2000 there were millions of cars which used the same oil for the gearbox and the engine with no problems. These were used in many Austin, Morris and British Leyland cars including all minis of that era including the coopers.
Even now there are loads of cars which specify engine oil for use in the gearbox.
There is no such thing as a bad oil as there are only a few major companies who make the stuff, that is why they all comply with international standards. There is such a thing as an oil that is too thick which will take many revolutions of your engine before it has circulated fully on start up.
jduke likes this.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 9:01 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
I use Motul 300-V, as was originally recommended by Ducati for use with my bike.

ProphetPVD
'02 748R, #0954
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy.j View Post
Use what you like but I can tell you this, modern car oils don't contain the zinc and phosphorus anti wear additives that dedicated 4T bike oils do.
Cars don't share the same oil between engine and gearbox either.
4T bike oils are made to the old SG formula, car oils have gradually reduced the "good" additives to meet constantly evolving emissions regulations and are up to SM now
You only need the zinc and phosphorous when normal lubrication has failed and then you are probably screwed anyway,Also there is a good argument for using as little in the way of additives as possible so there is more oil to do the lubricating. Plenty cars use the same engine oil as gearbox oil. There is such a thing as progress and the additives are also constantly evolving. You don't think they took the zinc and phosphorous out and didn't put something else in?

Damn! Now look what I've gone and done!

It's called a bloody oil GALLERY!
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetPVD View Post
I use Motul 300-V, as was originally recommended by Ducati for use with my bike.
It was recommended by Ducati because it meets the same specs as many other oils, but Motul either gave it for free to Ducati or it was supplied to Ducati at a very discounted price. It is no better than any other oil of the same specification only cheaper.
Oil companies are the same as bike manufacturers, a business, and as such do not exist to do nice things and make nice stuff for you, but they are there to make money.
kdehkordi likes this.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 10:49 am
Old Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
I am a maniac, I use Mobil 1 15-50 automotive (non 4T/motorcycle) full synthetic (dry clutch).
Me too.

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 12:52 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
It was recommended by Ducati because it meets the same specs as many other oils, but Motul either gave it for free to Ducati or it was supplied to Ducati at a very discounted price. It is no better than any other oil of the same specification only cheaper. Oil companies are the same as bike manufacturers, a business, and as such do not exist to do nice things and make nice stuff for you, but they are there to make money.
I do not have quite so cynical a view of things. I am sure there are other lubricants that would work just as well, but really, what's the point in changing? This is what has been used in the bike since it was first run in, and it's never had a single lubricant related issue. While the "deal" between the two companies may in fact have been helped along with favorable pricing, the fact is that the engineers who specify the nominal operating environment selected 300-V because it met their needs.

ProphetPVD
'02 748R, #0954
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
It was recommended by Ducati because it meets the same specs as many other oils, but Motul either gave it for free to Ducati or it was supplied to Ducati at a very discounted price. It is no better than any other oil of the same specification only cheaper.
Oil companies are the same as bike manufacturers, a business, and as such do not exist to do nice things and make nice stuff for you, but they are there to make money.
Are we to suppose that you have a reliable source you can cite to affirm those statements, other than companies are in business to make money?

As for differences in oil specifications, yes the specifications exist and the oils are formulated to meet them, but what about the additive packages? Each company has the ability to specify their own additive package formula, and therein is a difference.

BTW, making nice stuff for us is one of several business strategies. What else would they consider, an objective to make not so nice stuff for us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode