Shell Advance PurePlus tech. 15W50 - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2015, 11:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
In my manual for the 848 it is on page 90. The maximum viscosity at operating temperature is a */50 but they also list a */40. No mention of a */60. I would guess that would create too high an oil pressure, a bad thing as it puts a strain on the pump and any pipes.
For the same reason your doctor will measure your blood pressure and make sure that it is not to high either.
If the oil has no soot in it then where has any soot gone? One of the functions of engine oil is to keep any contaminants in suspension, the filter should take the big bits out, but the small bits in the oil just show that the oil is working.
10w60 oils relatively new so didn't make it into the chart in the manual? Anyway, my air cooled 900SS likes it, 748 jury is still out. Exactly what I was meaning about the soot. I have noticed that synthetic oils tend to darken slower. A sign of slower deterioration? I'm an ex-sooty to so I know about oil testing, just not where to get it done cheaply locally.

It's called a bloody oil GALLERY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2015, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Shell advance pureplus technology 15w50

It's coming closer to our shore now… Colombia and Brazil are the next to get it.
I just copy paste from Shell (global)--->

Andrew Hepher, Shell General Manager Global Marketing for Consumer Lubricants, said, “The integration of our gas value chain in Qatar and our global lubricants supply chain means we can now offer motorcycle owners Shell’s latest in motorcycle oil technology. As the motorcycle parc and oil demand is the highest in Asia, we have launched Shell Advance Ultra with PurePlus Technology in key markets in this region first, including China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines and Vietnam.

Soon consumers in Colombia and Brazil will also have access to Shell motorcycles oils made from natural gas. As more markets transition towards synthetic motor oils to balance efficiency with durability, Shell is leading the charge with premium motor oil products made with Shell PurePlus Technology.”

Shell PurePlus Technology produces high-quality API Group III base oils, the main component of engine oils, from natural gas instead of crude oil. They are made at the world’s largest gas-to-liquid facility, Pearl GTL in Qatar. A partnership between Shell and Qatar Petroleum, this plant produces up to 1 million tonnes of crystal-clear GTL base oils per year.

From here, the base oils are shipped to Shell global storage hubs in Houston, Hamburg, Jebel Ali and Hong Kong. Based on demand, the GTL base oils are then transported to Shell’s network of 50 lubricant blending plants where premium finished products such as Shell Advance Ultra are made.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2015, 9:39 pm

I heard from a reliable source a couple of weeks ago that Ducati has mandated all its dealers, including those in North America, to use Shell Advance in their services. If your local dealer hasn't got SA now, it should be coming soon.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 8:31 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Shell advance ultra pureplus technology

Progress! IT'S COMING
To be clear, I am not talking about Shell Advance Ultra 4T 10W-40 15W50…
This thread is about the natural gas base (PUREPLUS)…
I got a response from

Edward A. Calcote
Staff Chemist
Shell Lubricants North America Technical Information Center

here is the copy/paste

Fabien,

I do see that the product with our PurePlus Technology is planned for introduction in the US, but I have not seen a definitive timeline. I would assume this will be contingent upon our running out stock of any of the current stock “pre-“ PurePlus product.

Of course, you are likely aware the product can be difficult to find under the best of circumstances – there just isn’t a large installed base of users for the oil. Your best bet would be to cultivate a relationship with one of our distributors, and the largest in the Bay Area is Golden Gate Petroleum. Other distributors can be found by using the locator at Distributor Locator - United States.

Thank you for your interest in Shell/Pennzoil/Quaker State Lubricants!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode