Shell Advance PurePlus tech. 15W50 - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2015, 10:56 am Thread Starter

Of course, my dealer (motor cafe Ducati Sunnyvale Bay Area CA) got some case of 10w40 and 15w50. I have some bottles left in the garage (I did 3 oil drains for my breaking). I think BMW mottorad dealer has this new shell pureplus re bottle with BMW color... I will take a look.
I forgot, Houston superbike website sell online the 10w40...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2015, 12:59 am

Garage
"The new oil helps extend engine life, reduce maintenance costs, reduce oil consumption, enhance fuel economy and enable better engine cleanliness."

Question is how much bang for your buck do you get? I always stick to my old mans credo: buy a reasonably good quality oil and change it often......

Just as an example:
Castrol Edge =EUR 34,45
Liqui Moly Top Tec=EUR 39,79

In case you can read German or use google translate:

Motoröl Test 2015: Top 10 Check ? Platz 1

Thanks and best regards from OZ
obersturm / docv.org Member #1561

Last edited by obersturm; Jul 13th, 2015 at 1:14 am.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2015, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Shell advance ultra pureplus technology 15w50.

My guess is this stuff is too good for us here in N.America
API SN not the old school formula 2004 SM, base is natural gas. Ducati recommended globally but not here yet… Sure we don't need it.

Shell Advance Ultra - Shell Global
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.1798104118.jpeg
Views:	320
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	580626  

Last edited by fab24hdumans; Jul 17th, 2015 at 9:58 pm.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2015, 5:01 am

For info.

I put Castrol 10w60 in the bikes this year out of curiosity. This stuff is meant for high performance BMWs. It appears to be at least as good as anything I've used earlier judging by how good the gear change is. Also the 900SS is less 'loose' when it gets hot in traffic. It will be interesting to see how the oil looks when I change it next spring. The MOBIL1 5W50 I had in last year had gone off noticeably by the time I changed it in May.

It's called a bloody oil GALLERY!

Last edited by Serious Black; Jul 26th, 2015 at 5:25 am.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2015, 9:30 am

Just changed the oil on my 848 and put in some nice synthetic API SM with a viscosity of 5/40. I could have put 10/60 or 10/50 in but that is not recommended by Ducati as it is far to thick at operating temperature, and a */40 is what they say it needs. I don'r bother with make names as the difference between makes of the same spec oil will be no more than 0.01% (that is why they meet the spec) and there do not seem to be many rogue oil companies making poor quality engine oil.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2015, 9:33 am

" It will be interesting to see how the oil looks when I change it next spring. "
I learned many years ago in the aircraft industry that you cannot analyse a used oil by looking at it. We had expert analysis from our EFDC guys the check how good it was and decide if it needs changing.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2015, 3:46 pm Thread Starter

Serious black,
did you used some BMW oil??! I am asking you because the new shell advance pureplus (GTL) has been sold by BMW mottorad dealer in USA as adventec pro 15w50 since begin 2015! But what I don't like is API SJ… I am not sure for a monster 1200S engine.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2015, 3:57 pm

Any oil will never know what engine it is in, BMW, monster or 1198. As long as it is the correct viscosity, as dictated by the manufacturer, there should be no problem.
cb4265 likes this.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2015, 4:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
" It will be interesting to see how the oil looks when I change it next spring. "
I learned many years ago in the aircraft industry that you cannot analyse a used oil by looking at it. We had expert analysis from our EFDC guys the check how good it was and decide if it needs changing.
You can get an idea on how much soot is in the oil. If you compare the feel with some new oil you can also get an idea of how it has deteriorated. No very accurate and subjective I know but along with how the gear change feels it can give a good indication of how the oil lasts.

Where do Ducati state that 10w60 is took thick at operating temperature? I'd like some more info on this.

It's called a bloody oil GALLERY!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2015, 4:33 pm

In my manual for the 848 it is on page 90. The maximum viscosity at operating temperature is a */50 but they also list a */40. No mention of a */60. I would guess that would create too high an oil pressure, a bad thing as it puts a strain on the pump and any pipes.
For the same reason your doctor will measure your blood pressure and make sure that it is not to high either.
If the oil has no soot in it then where has any soot gone? One of the functions of engine oil is to keep any contaminants in suspension, the filter should take the big bits out, but the small bits in the oil just show that the oil is working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode