Quick Mobil1 15w50 question...don't shoot me - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Always the same drum getting beat.........Somebody wants to run some low price point oil in a complex engine that requires above average maintenance. This same discussion can be found almost everywhere on the net, on most anything with engine, except for certificated aircraft engines.
As a person who maintains and services other peoples equipment, and has spent a lot of other peoples money on maintaining their investment, the single most important, and lowest cost maintenance item, is quality oil........ changed regularly.

I personally change my Multi's oil when it starts to shift differently. Usually this happens around 2200-2500Mi. Just my .02

Uli-

'06 Multistrada, '05 S2R 800...Maude's
'93 888 SPO, '74 750 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2015, 8:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Kunkel View Post
Always the same drum getting beat.........Somebody wants to run some low price point oil in a complex engine that requires above average maintenance.
You consider Mobil 1 a bargain basement oil?

2007 GT1000 - 2015 1299S - 2019 KTM SMC R
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2015, 10:44 am

I guess I should clarify that I wasn't speaking of Mobil 1 automotive as a price point oil. I do use it myself, in my cars. I just see plenty of talk about using a low cost oil, or extending the interval in which it is changed in an effort to curb costs and lower overall operating expenses. I stand by the point that quality oil that is specified for the use, and changed regularly is the cheapest way to extend the life of the engine.

Uli-

'93 888 SPO, '74 750 GT

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2015, 7:48 am

It's probably best to use a real synthetic that does not utilize the hydro-cracked mineral oil (Group 3 classification) that can "legally" be labeled as "synthetic" in America. The best true synthetics seem to be a blend of PolyAlphaOlefin (PAO) a Group 4 class and Ester a Group 5. But Group 4/5 products are going to cost more because those blend stocks cost more to use. I personally have tried to use only those types (synthetic Group 4 and 5 blends) in my Multistrada. Automotive type (not their 4T version) Mobil 1 15W50, based on it's price point, is most likely a Group 3 based product, i.e. regular conventional base stock that has been hydro-isomerized (hydro-cracked) to bring it closer in molecular uniformity to true synthetic Group 4 PAO characteristics.

Speaking to Mobil 1 15W50 specifically, *the 4T version* Mobil 1 Racing 4T 15W50, is likely similar in layout to their Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40, which likely consists of a blend of Group 3+, 4, and 5 stocks with the 5 being Alkylated Naphtalene instead of Ester. Note the "+" on the 3. Mobil makes an upgraded version of Group 3 hydro treated stock they trademark as VISOM and this is produced at their Fawley operations in the UK:
http://www.exxonmobil.com/UK-English...SKEMVisom.aspx

2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX | 2016 Multistrada S (totaled) | 2013 Multistrada S Touring (sold)
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2015, 9:24 am

The price of an oil does not determine its quality standard, the classification by one of the testing bodies (API, etc) does.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2015, 1:25 am

Bob T,

The price of oil is minor......... I hope all is well with you and yours after this horrible shit.

Uli-

'93 888 SPO, '74 750 GT
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2015, 5:37 am
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Your right , but I still change it every fall before parking for the winter with Mobile 1 Racing 4T 10W40.
So you change it on August 15th? That is when fall starts in Calgary right then bring the bike out of storage June 1st first day of spring in Calgary right?

Gad it is cold out there for far too long!!!
Chinooks keep them coming.

Bad decisions make for good stories
Take my Advice, I don't use it.
2011 Red Multistrada S Touring
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2015, 8:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
The price of an oil does not determine its quality standard, the classification by one of the testing bodies (API, etc) does.

Is that right.
I'd like to see you post that on BITOG and see how you go.

As my old English teacher would say. GARBAGE.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2015, 8:59 am
Sco

Quote:
So you change it on August 15th? That is when fall starts in Calgary right then bring the bike out of storage June 1st first day of spring in Calgary right?
\

HA HA , yup , 6 week spring , summer and fall in Calgary .

2011 Multi S - Laser cut Filmguard , Evotech rad guard , Ohlins Mechtronic ECU
Tuneboy-Tune Edit,CC,QS, Leo Vince decat, MWR performance air filter
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2015, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Is that right.
I'd like to see you post that on BITOG and see how you go.

As my old English teacher would say. GARBAGE.
What an ignorant post!
Does anyone else know what BITOG means?
How do you know anything about me and my life's work?
The Quality standard of any oil is set down as classified by an oil testing organisation such as API so it just shows how little you seem to know.
It is idiots like this that make people leave forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode