shell Rotella T6 - ok to use? - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2017, 9:07 pm

I have a 13 multi and have done UOA's on Shell Rotella, the Shell Ultra, and Motul 300v with oil change intervals from 3,000-5,000. The Rotella shears down to a 30 grade in 3,000. The Motul 15-50 300v held up the best viscosity. There was not a lot of difference in wear metals between the 5 different oils I have tested. There was very little difference between the Rotella and the Shell Ultra in viscosity or wear metals.
dankatz and Nikolai like this.

13 MS S T, 05 Yam FJR, 03 FZ1, 98 Hon VFR, 82 Suz GS11, 80 GS11, 79 GS1000E, 77 GS750, 72 Kaw S2 350, & 68 Hon Trail 70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2017, 9:17 am
RSL

From my perspective, having the viscosity fall into failure at merely 3,000 miles is unacceptable. Did it fall below the threshold at 1,000 miles?

There are oil options that hold their viscosity well.

Oil purchase based on comments that the use was "good" or "fine" is merely unsubstantiated evidence that their engine didn't fail. I prefer ASTM testing. Failure isn't the standard I use. Even failure evidenced by high metal content shown in used oil testing.

The MINIMUM viscosity standard shown in the Owners Manual is 14.2 for operating temperature. The range is 14.2 to 19.9. Keeping the viscosity between these two numbers keeps the lubrication right where the Ducati engineers designed the engine to have.

Buy whatever you want. I will stick with lubricants that meet the designed specifications AND perform well in the ASTM tests.
duc96cr and Wolverine1 like this.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2018, 11:17 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
From my perspective, having the viscosity fall into failure at merely 3,000 miles is unacceptable. Did it fall below the threshold at 1,000 miles?

There are oil options that hold their viscosity well.

Oil purchase based on comments that the use was "good" or "fine" is merely unsubstantiated evidence that their engine didn't fail. I prefer ASTM testing. Failure isn't the standard I use. Even failure evidenced by high metal content shown in used oil testing.

The MINIMUM viscosity standard shown in the Owners Manual is 14.2 for operating temperature. The range is 14.2 to 19.9. Keeping the viscosity between these two numbers keeps the lubrication right where the Ducati engineers designed the engine to have.

Buy whatever you want. I will stick with lubricants that meet the designed specifications AND perform well in the ASTM tests.
I'm in agreeance, where is the T6 graph? I'd love the data to prove the point.

'10 MTS1200 S
'00 VTR1000f

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2018, 7:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1 View Post
I'm in agreeance, where is the T6 graph? I'd love the data to prove the point.
^^^Ditto. Also, very pretty graphs, but what's your source? I've wondered if it's the same MCN article referenced in the thread below.

Nevertheless, I keep coming back to Mobil1 15W-50, as I've heard from several insiders it's essentially the same blend as their puppy-tears-priced V-Twin stuff that did extremely well in the tests/graphs above, but is also perhaps the most affordable of them all. As a mechanical PE, I'm into ASTM testing and shear stability, but also value. ...also why I'd probably never buy a new Ducati. lol.

Regarding the Mobil1 V-twin vs. their "regular" 15W-50, this thread is a really good read: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall...otorcycle.html

(Finally, this guy is getting a lot of traction, and deservedly so IMHO: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/ Sure, there's lots of TLDR before he gets to the data, but I'm happy to say both the highly-rated Renewable Lubricants Biosyn and Amsoil Signature oils have held up very well in my Lexus IS-F under track conditions in hot, summer TX weather... The IS-F uses a high-compression, PFI/DI engine making >100hp/liter w/FBO, so really a solid test bed for oil.)

2013 Matte Chrome Multistrada 1200 S Touring
Austin, TX
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2018, 7:47 pm

FWIW.....I've run UOA's on 5 different oils and have run Amsoil exclusively for the last 4 years. The only oil that had the same #'s as Amsoil was Motul.
Wolverine1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode