shell Rotella T6 - ok to use? - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2016, 1:45 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
OOOOOOOOOOH! An oil Vlog! Where do I subscribe? Will there be more oil videos? It's what I live for.
I also plan to do baby oil analysis soon as well! Stayed Tuned!!!

YouTube: Canadian Rider
Weapon of choice: Ducati 899 Panigale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Super Moderator

Garage
Motorcycle usage:

Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The lack of "friction modifiers" in Rotella means they do not interfere with wet clutch operations. This is called a "shared sump" design, which is unlike automobiles which maintain separate oil reservoirs - one for the engine and one for the transmission. Used oil analysis (UOA) reports on BobIsTheOilGuy.com have shown wear metals levels comparable to oils marketed as motorcycle-specific.

JASO-MA

Both Rotella T 15W-40 conventional and, Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic both list the JASO MA standard; this information can be found on the bottle adjacent to the SAE/API rating stamp. JASO is an acronym that stands for "The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization." Note that the 10W-30 conventional oil does not list JASO-MA.
Nikolai likes this.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Both my bike have dry clutches so I'll have the friction modifiers thanks.

It's called a bloody oil GALLERY!

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2016, 4:09 pm

Garage
I thought I'd add, the newer 5 quart bottles of Rotella actually have a Motorcycle on the back as one of the 'Usuage' Icons. So shell is actually 'marketing' the oil for motorcyle usage on the bottles now as well.

Mark

2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2006 Suzuki SV1000S
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 10:27 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51-05 View Post
Yes... It's good stuff.. Don't be fooled.. They're plenty write up's about this oil vs. others and you'll be amazed how well this stuff is rated... Been using it for years in all my bikes.. My 05 GSXR 1000 has over 36,000 screaming miles on her and still running as new.. Not that my one experience tells you everything, but I been running this oil in dirt bikes as well as road bikes and all these years never had any oil burning or oil related failures or issues.. Come to think of it no failures from Yamaha's, KTM's Suzuki's, Ducati's or Honda's..

If I recall. The Rottela Oils are the most re-badged oils on the market..

RC
Yup I run it in my race bikes, street bikes and my diesel truck. If my wife would run on this stuff, I could save a lot of money.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 10:29 pm

Garage
I've used in in Ducati's, MV's and Aprilia's. Never an issue after MANY thousands of miles. Works perfectly with wet clutches.
Zixxer2Go likes this.

Goodbye RSV4 and MV Agusta. Back on a Duc.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2016, 4:03 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
I think it's funny that people ask about what oil they should use on a forum.

The variables are so vast it is like asking your girlfriend if she is happy?

Read your manual, be a man & work it out? Pretty simple really!

Craig
Thumper580 likes this.

Ducati 998S FE 2004
Ducati ST4S 2003
Cagiva Mito 125 1993 Bucket racer
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2016, 9:20 am

I've run it for years, and now we use it in our fleet of bikes and customers bikes, and love it.
Zixxer2Go likes this.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do!
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 12:44 pm

Anyone have any UOA's on this or other competing oils? My '13 Multi is due back from Ducati Austin tomorrow with some Rotella T6 going in, and I plan on having Blackstone do a UOA on it in 2-3k. Pending the outcome, I'm also considering regular Rotella T, Valvoline VR1 20W-50, Silkolene Pro (several viscosity options here), Mobil 1 V-twin 20W-50... I plan on having this bike a long time and want to be sure I'm getting both longevity and excellent value on my oil/OCI choice.

Though it's hard to wrap my head around moving *from* a synthetic oil, the motorcycling wet-clutch, oil-zealot community consensus seems to be that a shared-sump application is going to shear anything, synthetic or not, expensive GTL/PAO/POE base oil or not, in short order... such that very frequent 2-3k OCI's on a stout "bargain" dino oil like VR1 or Rotella T 15W-40 will be much better for the Duck's longevity (and my wallet!) than Ducati-recommended 7.5k OCI's on their boutique-ish Shell Ultra 4T.

Am I close here??

Keep in mind, I live in TX, where the bluebonnets are now blooming in February... Thanks, Obamacare!!

2013 Matte Chrome Multistrada 1200 S Touring
Austin, TX
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2017, 11:30 pm

I used Shell Rotella on one of my track bikes for a season. I kept up with the oil changes more frequently and had sent samples out for oil testing.
The results were normal. Little worse than using Motul 300V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in