shell Rotella T6 - ok to use? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 9:56 am

There's been a lot of discussion about Rotella T6 over on kawiforums. I've switched my ZX-6 over to it on my last oil change and haven't noticed any issues (or improvement either). I think I'll leave my 748 on Castrol 10-W50 though.

'01 Ducati 748S - Woohoo!
'05 Kawasaki ZX-6RR - Yeehah!
'01 Kawasaki ZX-6R - Stolen
'95 Yamaha XJ600S - Long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 10:29 am

I've been running all of my bikes and cars on T6, T5, or T for the past 15 years.

03 749 (Track) - 03 Tuono (Street)
Online Part Catalog with Cross-reference for Ducatis
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 10:35 am Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the replies, all. I couldn't quote each individually so I'll try my best to respond to some of the posts:

Why T6? It was priced low at the meijer store and reading a few forums (and even on here) have stated that they've used T6 with no issues, while others opposed it.

Read the manual, even read the last Oil used by my local ducati (the recommended Shell Advance 10w-40 Synth but they're hard to find and the ones they used on my bike were about 20 a quart?) That last oil change cost me about 120 and change! Hoo boy.

I've been wanting to perform the routine maintenance on the bike (tires, oil change, flush) and will save the big projects for the experienced mechanics so I'm here to get some good input from those that do it on their own so I definitely appreciate the feedback.

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 9:58 pm
Come in Spinner :)

Just stick with a decent full synthetic 20/50 and you''ll be ok.
Thumper580 likes this.

2000 853
2007 Cagiva Mito.
1980 and 1978 Ultra lightweight Yamaha SR500 Cafe Racers
1967 500cc Ultra lightweight Triumph Daytona Cafe Racer
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2015, 1:40 pm

Garage
I called the Shell technical support folks to talk about the Ultra line in the states and during the course of the conversation they asked what I would be using it for. I explained it was the recommended oil from Ducati and from there we started talking about the automotive and motorcycle oil certs and as it turns out the Shell Rotella stuff meets or exceeds the JASO certifications. I was shocked because it is the same oil I use in my 6.4l Diesel Ford F250. I tow a 41' toy hauler in the Florida heat and have been through some steep mountainous roads of the smokeys and numerous other places. The oil has not failed my truck and it hasn't failed my 848.

When in doubt call the manufacturer. I found the folks at Shell to be very friendly. Also check out Used Oil Analysis - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy and read through his Motor Oil University course.

Noah - 2012 848 Evo Corse SE with Full Termignoni
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2015, 2:44 pm

Yes... It's good stuff.. Don't be fooled.. They're plenty write up's about this oil vs. others and you'll be amazed how well this stuff is rated... Been using it for years in all my bikes.. My 05 GSXR 1000 has over 36,000 screaming miles on her and still running as new.. Not that my one experience tells you everything, but I been running this oil in dirt bikes as well as road bikes and all these years never had any oil burning or oil related failures or issues.. Come to think of it no failures from Yamaha's, KTM's Suzuki's, Ducati's or Honda's..

If I recall. The Rottela Oils are the most re-badged oils on the market..

RC
noahp likes this.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2015, 3:21 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51-05 View Post
Yes... It's good stuff.. Don't be fooled.. They're plenty write up's about this oil vs. others and you'll be amazed how well this stuff is rated... Been using it for years in all my bikes.. My 05 GSXR 1000 has over 36,000 screaming miles on her and still running as new.. Not that my one experience tells you everything, but I been running this oil in dirt bikes as well as road bikes and all these years never had any oil burning or oil related failures or issues.. Come to think of it no failures from Yamaha's, KTM's Suzuki's, Ducati's or Honda's..

If I recall. The Rottela Oils are the most re-badged oils on the market..

RC
I can add to that a KLX110, a Craftsman lawn mower and an Onan 6k Generator. Other than when it comes out of my 6.4l Super Duty the oil always looks very good when I change it.

I can't believe how inexpensive it is plus they have a points based rewards program. And if the local Stores don't have it on sale then Shell usually has a mail in rebate.

Noah - 2012 848 Evo Corse SE with Full Termignoni
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2016, 10:36 am

Garage
I made a video talking about the differences on my channel between T6 and 300V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwDjEF57q3Y

Honestly, for 95% of applications, T6 is perfectly fine.
Nikolai likes this.

YouTube: Canadian Rider
Weapon of choice: Ducati 899 Panigale
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2016, 11:49 am
Temporary greeter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonduren View Post
I made a video talking about the differences on my channel between T6 and 300V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwDjEF57q3Y

Honestly, for 95% of applications, T6 is perfectly fine.
OOOOOOOOOOH! An oil Vlog! Where do I subscribe? Will there be more oil videos? It's what I live for.
Thumper580 and Nikolai like this.

1994 888 LTD #61 DVT
2014 KTM Adventure R with duct tape mod v1.0

Ducati.ms ECM photos
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2016, 12:07 pm
Just visiting your planet.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
OOOOOOOOOOH! An oil Vlog! Where do I subscribe? Will there be more oil videos? It's what I live for.
Don't let this cretan razz you. It's what I live for.

2005 ST3
2003 749s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode