Oil brand and service life?? - Page 6 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2017, 2:34 am

Garage
Hi. In the our region we usually use two type of synthetic oil 10W40 for liquid cooling engines and 20W50 for air cooling. 15W50 fits for both systems. Change interval is 5000-6000 km is normal for it, if you dont use bikes often as racing bikes on the tracks. I use Eni brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2017, 6:02 am

Garage
I use shell advance 15w50 and change it every year or 12000km as per ducati manual. I have never had a problem with this oil on a air cooled engine all year. My winters are here around 5-10C and summers around 28-35C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

696 - MY2013
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2018, 10:35 pm

Garage
I also read the blog from 540 rat about his oil testing. I'm inclined to believe in his totally independent results more than what a company says about their or a competitors oil. He actually purchased the oils tested or people sent it to him so it is off the shelf stuff and no bias.
Based on his findings I've been using Castrol 20w-50 long life which is formulated for higher mileage engines. I have had the oil tested after 6000 km and it came back all within normal range with minimal viscosity drop and most of the zddp still available.

If you cant fix it with a hammer, its probably electrical.

post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2018, 12:43 am

Any full synthetic that is formulated for motorcycles will be fine. If you have a dry clutch, you donít even need the oil to be formulated for motorcycles. I used whatever motorcycle synthetic was available in my M900 Monster, changed at 5K to 6K typically (but sometimes as long as 8K), for the 24 years and 265K miles I had that bike, and it never needed a rebuild of the engine or transmission. Your needs probably wonít exceed that.

PhilB

1993 Ducati Monster M900, bought new, 265K miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17. 1995 M900, was ex-wife's bike, now mine again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode