Same viscosity, different brand. OK to mix? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2014, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

Same viscosity, different brand. OK to mix?

Hi all.

I have a feeling the answer to this question is "NO" based on the very extensive threads on "oil blending" I just read but I was hoping to confirm.

Would it be all right to use a few quarts of one full synthetic from a manufacturer and one quart of full synthetic from another manufacturer if the viscosities are identical?

The "Oil Blending" threads appear to be dealing with mixing viscosities which I don't plan to do.

I'm guessing the answer is "NO", however, given that different detergents and base ingredients may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and therefore, similar oils shouldn't be mixed.

Can anyone opine?

(Oils in question are: Spectro Platinum 4 10w-40 and Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 10w-40, both full synthetic).

Thank you!
-Curly

2016 959 Panigale
Previous: 2009 Monster 696
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2014, 1:38 pm
Old Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Would it be all right to use a few quarts of one full synthetic from a manufacturer and one quart of full synthetic from another manufacturer if the viscosities are identical?
Yes.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2014, 6:58 pm

Yes you can mix them.
Up to a point, without problems.
If they're both API certified oils it is a requirement that they have no miscibility issues with each other.
That's to ensure we can top up our oil at any time without totally ruining the lubrication properties of the primary fill oil.

That still doesn't necessarily mean that one oils additive pack, won't clash with the other to some degree.
And or, cause a degradation of the performance of both oils.

Whether it makes any "real" difference in the grand scheme of things.
We will likely never ever know

The only truly safe way to blend oil without compromising performance, is to keep with the same brand and type/basestock.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2014, 8:46 pm
Prolific Poster Award

I would.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2014, 10:16 pm
Come in Spinner :)

If I was hell bent on doing it I'd email both manufacturers and ask them.

2000 853
2007 Cagiva Mito.
1980 and 1978 Ultra lightweight Yamaha SR500 Cafe Racers
1967 500cc Ultra lightweight Triumph Daytona Cafe Racer
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2014, 9:20 am

I would not do it. Buy enough Spectro to finish the job, it's the better synthetic of the two.

2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX | 2016 Multistrada S (totaled) | 2013 Multistrada S Touring (sold)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2015, 7:16 pm

Garage
Hmm

Was searching for answer. I guess it's ok to mix it with my Motul oil into my bike with Spectro oil. (Of course, both synthetic and same viscosities)

Mad-Ducati Lover!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2015, 11:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Hi all.

I have a feeling the answer to this question is "NO" based on the very extensive threads on "oil blending" I just read but I was hoping to confirm.

The "Oil Blending" threads appear to be dealing with mixing viscosities which I don't plan to do.

I'm guessing the answer is "NO", however, given that different detergents and base ingredients may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and therefore, similar oils shouldn't be mixed.

Can anyone opine?

(Oils in question are: Spectro Platinum 4 10w-40 and Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 10w-40, both full synthetic).

Thank you!
-Curly

You are on the right track and there are a few facts to consider.
In simple terms.

1, One of the main things regarding API certification is that it is conditional for an oil to gain certification that it is "miscible with other oils". That only means it can be simply mixed readily with other oils that are also API certified.
It works out great for a top up on the run between services if the oil level is down too much and probably the only major benefit of API certification.
It doesn't make, nor can it make any guarantee about outright compatibility or performance in service.

2, In recent times, oil formulations have become quite complex in terms of diversity and complexity of base oils and additive packs and blends.
Although there is a fair bit of similarity in general terms, there can be no guarantees nor can anyone make an outright guarantee. It's impossible certainly in this day and age.
Gone are the days of only one or two major type of basestock with simple additive packs that share quite a lot of commonality.
API certification does help to provide some confidence in the miscibility department.
But we now have 5 distinct groups of oil basestocks with about 7or 8 different types of basestocks which can be totally different in terms of what's required to make a "fully formulated oil".

3, Whilst it's possible for a right thinking person to assume it's ok to even mix different viscosities to achieve a desired outcome with a franken brew if one wishes to play Tribologist at home with your ICE chemical reactor.
There are no guarantees as to the outcome of the resultant formulation.

As far as I know, there have been no major engine failures directly attributed to a bit of mixing of oils.

Certainly the performance of fully formulated oils varies greatly between them, and it is testament to the quality of the basestocks, additive packs and the ability of an oil company to blend a finished oil to a performance standard.
Blending forms a core aspect of the true art of finished oil production.

If you don't care much about the machine other than to keep it going well then mix away.
Otherwise for the very best results and confidence, try to stick with one grade and or type of finished oil within a given range of your chosen/favourite brand.

Last edited by Dirt; Nov 19th, 2015 at 11:21 pm.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2015, 11:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by multipepe View Post
Was searching for answer. I guess it's ok to mix it with my Motul oil into my bike with Spectro oil. (Of course, both synthetic and same viscosities)
On the balance of probability you are most likely correct in making this assumption
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2015, 11:36 pm

Good Lord, I've just realised that this thread is old and I've already responded to this thread ages ago.
Oh well, I suppose my responses are consistent.
At least it shows that I haven't totally lost my marbles (yet)

My apologies to the forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode