suggestions for best way to keep from making a mess when cleaning chain - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2011, 12:12 pm Thread Starter

Location: Cedar Park (Northwest Austin) Near 1431 and Lime Creek Roads, TX, USA
suggestions for best way to keep from making a mess when cleaning chain

I've tried cardboard and newspaper, and cleaning with kerosene and WD40.

I always end up with Kerosene or WD40 or both on the swing arm, wheel, tire, garage floor etc.

Anyone found a quick and easy way to clean a chain without making a big mess requiring further cleaning of the bike and garage floor?

I'm in Texas, and am going to start just cleaning my X ring chain with WD40 and leave it at that. Dont ride in the rain or do a lot of dirt roads (do some).

Looking for a quick and simple way to get the chain clean and be done.

Brian in Austin

98 ST2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2011, 3:15 pm
The days are getting longer!

I remove the wheel, left exhaust, left peg hanger and shifter bracket, and then the chain. Rinse in kerosene an viola!

A bit of a pain, but that's what rainy weekends are for.

AMA Member
1998 Silver ST2$
Motto Guzzi G2 Moped

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2011, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

Location: Cedar Park (Northwest Austin) Near 1431 and Lime Creek Roads, TX, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by va duc View Post
I remove the wheel, left exhaust, left peg hanger and shifter bracket, and then the chain. Rinse in kerosene an viola!

A bit of a pain, but that's what rainy weekends are for.
Well, We have only had two days of rain in the last 9 months......and,.... if I am doing this every 300 miles, I will be doing that after every Sunday ride,....which is 2-3 times a month. Im generally ready to sit down and chill after a ride,.....especially when its 100 degrees, which it has been every day for the last 3 months (as of today,..we have had 89 100+ degree days this summer)

Brian in Austin, TX

98 ST2

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2011, 6:33 pm
The days are getting longer!

I see, I lube the chain about every 300 or 400 hundred miles, I clean the chain about 1,500 miles or so. .

AMA Member
1998 Silver ST2$
Motto Guzzi G2 Moped

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2011, 3:09 pm

Sounds like you're cleaning hour chain properly, so my suggestion is to just deal withthe mess...that's what I do. I also use WD40 as my sole cleaner. (actually I use Amsoil's version, bu that's another story). My next step is cleaning the chain and surrounding area with Simple Green. It's my favorite automotive APC, and does a wonderful job of removing all the WD40. The rest will wash right off with soap and water. Any attempt to do a 'non-messy' job at cleaning the chain will only leave you with a half-a$$ clean chain. Just my opinion though.

'04 800SS...Strati Pipes, 42t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, ABM Rotors, Carbon Lorane pads, Cogent-Dynamics Forks & Ohlins Shock.

'05 749s...Termi 54mm full system, 41t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, PCIII/custom map, Pazzo Levers, Puig DB Windscreen, Penske Shock, CRS Forks, CF everything.

www.ducati-owners-group.com

"Freedom, for those who fought for it, has a flavor the protected will never know..."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2011, 8:07 pm

I like to use Motul chain cleaner in an aerosol, and starting with the masterlink, spray about 8" of chain, with a terry towel underneath, and then rub down the chain with the terry towel. After I get the whole chain cleaned, apply Motul chain lube. Just a drop or two between the plates is all it seems to need.

Then spray the terry towel with some chain cleaner and wipe down the outsides of the plates.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Maybe I'm doing something wrong... Buuuutt... I keep a bucket full of diesel on hand for chain duty. Dip a rag in diesel, wring it out good, then wipe the chain down thoroughly until all the gradoo is gone. Wipe it dry then spray roller links well with dupont Teflon. Wipe that down one last time. A pit bull stand makes it easy to roll the chain around. The Teflon don't fling or cake up. I love it. Wole process takes 10 minutes. Diesel, being an oil, doesn't adversley affect the chain's x-rings, leaves enough of a film on the link sides to inhibit rust. Never have a problem..

Sit back and watch my divine spark flash.
Duc = S2r / Guzzi = 1200Sport

http://www.oldschoolaudio.co
Low tech for Hi-fi..
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2011, 9:13 pm

Exclamation Don't clean your chain!

Now that I have your attention... What I mean is, if you lube your chain properly (a little bit of inexpensive 80/90 wt. gear oil, NOT WD-40, which is not an appropriate chain lube), and wipe it down with a dry rag now and then (terry cloth is best) while it's on a rear wheel stand, it won't need cleaning with solvent. I got over 15,000 miles out of my last chain and sprockets (rear aluminum sprocket) and never needed to clean the chain once, other than with a rag. DISCLAIMER: Don't do this with the motor running !
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2011, 9:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider View Post
I've tried cardboard and newspaper, and cleaning with kerosene and WD40.

I always end up with Kerosene or WD40 or both on the swing arm, wheel, tire, garage floor etc.

Anyone found a quick and easy way to clean a chain without making a big mess requiring further cleaning of the bike and garage floor?

I'm in Texas, and am going to start just cleaning my X ring chain with WD40 and leave it at that. Dont ride in the rain or do a lot of dirt roads (do some).

Looking for a quick and simple way to get the chain clean and be done.

Brian in Austin
Do it in your neighbor's driveway.

2002 ST-4s "Dolly"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 8:01 pm
ZDM
Super Senior Poster

Put your Ducati on a rear stand
Lay an old towel under the chain on the ground to catch the drips.
Grab some WD40, tooth or bore brush and paper towels
Start at the master link, apply some WD to the brush, scrub, wipe off
Continue aound the whole chain, I use a bore and tooth brush to get inside
the plates.
Use lots of paper towels and wipe the excess WD off the chain, in
between the rollers and side plates.
Done!
I've been cleaning my chains this way for decades. My existing chain is approximately 2 yrs old and hasn't stretched at all...the neighbors will think your nuts, but it does wonders for your mental health.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode