Oil Recommendation For 08 848 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2011, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

Oil Recommendation For 08 848

Hello,

I am due for an oil change and im fairly new with Ducatis. I rather disclose this information than try to sound cool, but I wanted to know what brand of oil and rating you guys recommend for my bike.

I live in NY (long island and the city) and I ride from April through the beginning of November. I have been told that Shell is not available in the US (is this true?) so im open to suggestions. Ive heard good things of Repsol, Motorex and Mobil.

Can you guys help me out please?

Thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2011, 9:36 pm

10W40 Amsoil, year round, regardless of temperatures or riding conditions/style, and an Amsoil EaOM138C oil filter.

AMSOIL - SAE 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCF)

'04 800SS...Strati Pipes, 42t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, ABM Rotors, Carbon Lorane pads, Cogent-Dynamics Forks & Ohlins Shock.

'05 749s...Termi 54mm full system, 41t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, PCIII/custom map, Pazzo Levers, Puig DB Windscreen, Penske Shock, CRS Forks, CF everything.

www.ducati-owners-group.com

"Freedom, for those who fought for it, has a flavor the protected will never know..."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2012, 8:39 pm

You are correct about Shell's Advance Ultra 4 not being available here in the States. I read elsewhere on the oil thread that Rotella 4T fully synthetic is a very close formulation to Ultra 4. I don't know either way. What I can tell you is any full synthetic, branded motorcycle oil (Others may disagree and say automobile synthetic is OK because of our dry clutches. I'll stick with motorcycle specific oils.) will be fine. Read your manual for weights. This time of year, even here on the Gulf Coast, I run 10w40. In the summer, up to 15w50.

I don't want to get into specific brands for one reason: It's like talking politics or religion, everybody swears theirs is heaven's gift. I've had good results with all the major labels and the reason I can say that is my strong belief that a particular brand is secondary to the frequency of changing your oil. I don't buy the "high mileage oil" pitch, sorry. For me it's oil and filter change every 1500 miles. Overkill? Maybe, but it's the cheapest insurance you can buy for your bike.

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.--Socrates
The Official Ducati.ms thread closer...
2008--1098S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode