Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

My Bike of the Month Entry for Aug. 08

12K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  munga 
#1 · (Edited)
I am very proud and excited to present you with my beloved Ducati 998. It has been modified to fit my personal tastes and exemplify the beauty of Italian design and performance. I believe, as I'm sure you'll agree it is one of the most complete motorcycles on the road today.

ENGINE:
An already incredibly powerful 2005 999R engine serves as the heart of my custom 998 build. Developed for racing, it has been further worked and modified with components carefully chosen to provide the highest level of performance possible. This 999R engine produces over 160 RWHP and is truly something special!

Engine specifications:
* CP High Compression Pistons
* Pankl Titanium Rods
* AMA Racing Hardened Lightweight and Balanced Crank
* Ducati Corse Close Ratio Gearbox
* Ported Heads
* Dialed Cams
* Nichols Lightened Flywheel
* Titanium Intake and Exhaust Valves
* Magnesium Clutch Housing
* Magnesium Valve Covers
* Akrapovic 57mm Ceramic Coated Full Exhaust System
* Sure-Flex Slipper Clutch with Lightweight Basket and Barnett Carbon Fiber Plates
* 748R Under-Tail Breather Box, STM Crankcase Breather, and Ducati Corse Airbox Valve
* BMC Race Air Filters
* Power Commander III USB
* Samco Silicone Coolant Hose Kit
* Speedymoto water pump and alternator covers

CHASSIS:
The chassis components of the motorcycle have been modified with two major goals: weight reduction and improved handling. These goals were accomplished better than I'd ever imagined! Between the steering geometry changes, carbon fiber wheels and bodywork, and other associated upgrades this has become the smoothest handling motorcycle I’ve ever ridden. Rounding out the overall package, the aesthetics improvements include powdercoating the frame super wet red, the sub-frame super wet black, and the swingarm matte black.

Chassis Specifications:
* BST Carbon Fiber 5-Spoke wheels
* Ohlins R&T front forks with Superbike internal valves
* Ohlins rear shock re-valved, re-sprung and new internals with top-out spring
* Brembo GP clutch (19x18) and brake (19x16) master cylinders
* Spiegler stainless steel braided front brake, rear brake, and clutch lines with black aluminum banjo fittings
* ALTH fully floating front brake wave rotors with billet centers
* Brembo radial 4 piston, 4 pad front calipers
* Cycle Cat billet radial caliper mounts
* Braketech Axis fully floating rear rotor
* Custom billet four piston, two pad rear brake caliper
* Billet rear brake caliper mount
* Acculign dual-eccentric rearsets anodized black
* Cyclecat DB-1 billet clip-on clamps with red anodized handlebars
* 27mm offset upper and lower triple clamps
* Active Evolution (Matris) multi adjustable steering damper
* STM 30mm clutch slave cylinder
* DID ERV3 520 gold chain with 15/39 gearing and AFAM quick-change sprocket carrier
* Billet rear sprocket carrier
* Billet ride height adjuster
* Cycle Cat billet kickstand
* Titanium fasteners for critical stress areas
* 996SPS sub-frame

Bodywork Specifications:
* Full carbon fiber nose, tail, upper, and lower fairings with bellypan. Nose and tail pieces were chosen specifically for their aggressive and unique features not widely found
* Other carbon fiber pieces include airbox, air runners, mirror supports, rear fender with chain guard, swingarm guard, headlight bucket, engine belt covers, and front fender

OTHER:
Many of the aftermarket parts have been custom anodized to match the overall color scheme. The fork tubes, rearsets, clipons, and foot control levers for example all contribute to the more aggressive visual statement.

Some of the other parts I have upgraded include:
* LED integrated turn / brake lights
* 999 style rear-view mirrors with integrated turn signals
* Rizoma billet fluid reservoirs, grips, and bar ends
* Euro style headlight switch
* Billet shift and rear brake levers
* Custom embroidered Sargent seat

SIGNIFICANCE:
Many enthusiasts see the 998 series of Superbikes the defining Ducati design while the 999R engine is sought worldwide for its uncompromising power and performance. Marrying these two components together when the opportunity arose seemed like incredible idea. Combining a 999R engine using a 998 as a foundation provided a fantastic challenge to overcome. Rather than utilizing 998 wiring harnesses and electronics I chose to utilize the 999R versions. The trickle down effect of this as far as what parts would work together or not was amazingly challenging. Utilizing the 999R battery box and coolant system is an example of how many of the components had to be relocated from the right to the left side. Just seeing the 999 series instrument cluster mounted atop the 998 dash area is a striking visual statement that cannot be ignored. I believe that the sum total of the parts far exceed the performance and aesthetic improvements of the individual pieces. You cannot help but be drawn in for a closer look at how the pieces come together in such an artful way.

This has been an ongoing project that has gone through several iterations starting with a completely stock 998 base model biposto. It has been an honor to be able to build this bike in the way I wanted incorporating the best in Italian design and aftermarket performance parts. With the exception of the engine internals, I have turned every nut, bolt, and screw on the motorcycle with my own hands. My vision was to create this work of art from my own passion for Ducati and the world class attention the brand commands. This creation came from hundreds of hours of reading and researching parts, personal trial and error, and an unwavering dedication to the success of the project. I have spent innumerable hours custom making brackets, sanding bodywork, and analyzing down to the smallest part how to make it better performing or visually pleasing. I chose to express my passion for Ducati in this way and it has given me an extremely high appreciation for the history and lineage of the company. My grateful appreciation to Mr. Vince Chu for his guidance and support on this project.

Thank You!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I was fiddling with them as they wouldn't post in original size. Should be attached now.

#4 ·
Now if this doesn't get the Vertical Scope guys to pick a winner, nothing will!

Steve, You did a tremendous job on your Ducati and I look forward to seeing it again next year at Laguna. Definitely a well thought out effort and the results are simply stunning.

Dan

#5 ·
Thanks Dan, that means a lot coming from you. There's a couple of your chain links spinning 'round those sprockets too. Hope your son didn't mind too much.

Lookin forward to seeing you again next year too. Just gotta get rid of some of those damn vintage guys!

Steve

#9 ·
Awesome. Did you have any fitment problems between the ALTH rotors and the calipers? I ask because I did and I had to file down the mounting points on the Brembo calipers to make them fit. I've heard this from another ALTH owner too. I upgraded my forks with a pair of 01 996 forks with the calipers as well. The mounting points are 65mm vs 40mm for the calipers. I still get some minor vibration, but its much improved. This is on the right side only, the left side fits very well.

I've been looking at the Matris damper instead of going with the usual Ohlins as an upgrade for my 916. One advantage of the Ohlins is the fact you can find them discounted on the used market. Not so with the Matris. I like the mid level Matris in terms of performance specs and looks, how do you like it on your bike? Is your bike a rider or a garage queen? Even steven with the Ohlins? I have the Ohlins stock on my 999S, I like the device, it allows a wide range of adjustment. Thanks

#13 ·
I had no problems with the rotors & calipers at all. They worked just like they were made for each other. Are you using the cast or monobloc calipers? That may be the difference.

I've used two different Ohlins dampers on an R1 and the Ducati and I can't say I notice any major difference between either of them and the Matris. They're both high quality and decently linear. The only perceptible difference I've ever noticed with the Ohlins was a "slight" increase in pressure near the very end of the travel. I tend to run them pretty tight so that may be just my issue. I wouldn't hesitate to run either one but I chose the Matris for it's "not everyone has one" factor.

#12 ·
I won best Superbike but not overall best in show. Certainly nothing to sneeze at but I was somewhat disappointed. A restored '82 bevel drive cost me the trip to Italy. It was a nice bike but had Yamaha front forks on it for cryin out loud. Brian Catterson was the guest judge and gave the nod to that bike which shocked me cuz he's a Superbike guy. It was great time and meeting some true to the bone Ducatisti was fantastic.

I can't believe I haven't been able to find more pics anywhere of the show. They're not on the Ducati site yet and many google searches have turned up nil.

#15 ·
Thanks Matt! :D

#19 ·
That looks great, man! I like some of the smaller details too, like the clip-ons, anodizing the fork tubes, relocated fluid reservoir, etc. I'm kinda leaning towards doing something a little similar to what you just did, except putting a 1098 in the 999 chassis. Not sure yet...Seeing pics of yours makes me want to jump in and get going so I can finish! Just no time lately and need some more funding...lol

Again, looks great! I want to go out to Laguna next year now and see! :D

#20 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys! :D It means a lot coming from this crowd. There's already more planned and currently in the works if you can believe it.

Hopefully the folks that are supposed to be judging this thing actually do it one of these days but all I hear are crickets chirping in the background and the occasional sagebrush blow by.

#21 ·
Judges can be biased sometimes...last year I entered a few of my clients' bikes in the World of Wheels show that were all original painted graphics and airbrushing. The guy that won the show did it with a gaudy Buell that was just stock with rainbow paint colors all over it in STENCILS available at pretty much any automotive paint supplier. That the judges thought it was all freehand work just blew my mind but what can you do...

#22 ·
This is totaly sweet, not simply ticked the boxes of a factory options list here ah. This is a truly original look (interpritation) of a unique pedigree known only as a ducati, highly evocative

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.