Get Thee To World Superbike Monterey, California, July 12-14 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By Motorcycle.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 2:18 pm Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Get Thee To World Superbike Monterey, California, July 12-14

Itís special enough by being the only time World Superbike comes to the USA, but being at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca on the Monterey Peninsula makes it even more special. Sometimes itís hot and sunny, sometimes itís cool and foggy, and sometimes those two change places every half hour. In short itís a magical place to watch motorcycles race, and when thatís done for the day itís an even better place to hang out and bike- and people-watch down on Cannery Row. Set aside a few hours for the amazing Monterey Bay Aquarium, followed by a nice piece of fish on Fishermanís Wharf. Maybe youíll see the MOrons, even? We wouldnít miss it.

After round Six, Alvaro Bautista and his new Ducati Panigale V4 are leading the Kawasaki ZX-10RR of Jonathan Rea, 300 points to 259, but thereís Rimini and Silverstone to go before they get to Laguna Seca in mid-July. We hope anything can happen.

To buy tickets, to learn more Ė including about onsite camping, as the track is inside a county park Ė please click here.

scott likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 2:54 pm

I've only been there once. It was Summer of 1981, some national event, long before Turn 1 was turned into several tighter corners before going up the hill, traction control, and ABS brakes. The hillside along the left hander after the Corkscrew was just grass, lawn chairs, and blankets. I was on leave while in the military at the time. I was with my cousin and my little brother, we gained unfettered access into the pits, and roamed freely among the killer race machines.

Beautiful day, great turnout, bitchin racing.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ... LOW ZOOT
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 4:07 pm

I used to go every year, for about 20 years. But a few years ago I just got burned out on the crowds, the traffic messes, and the high prices. It got to be a $1,000 weekend.

One of these years I will go back, there were some good times, and the whole area is beautiful. The ride through Big Sur is awesome if weather cooperates and you can stand the RV traffic. But, my wife won't go and I have nobody else I want to travel with, which does not help.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2019, 1:22 pm

I've been going every year since 2014 and will be going back this year as well. Tickets for the weekend are less than $100, which in my opinion is a steal. And you can camp on the track for $50/night. It's not difficult to keep the prices down if you try.

That said, I've got a nice hotel on the wharf for me and my family

If anyone reading this hasn't been, I would highly recommend it.

2000 748/853
[COLOR="Red"]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2019, 1:37 pm

.... smiles for miles .... no bloody traction control ... no bloody ABS brakes ... These are all pics of Laguna Seca from a time long gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1132521861_YCijQ-L.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	946497   Click image for larger version

Name:	1132521909_yjdDn-L.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	946499   Click image for larger version

Name:	2809847164ea1e535902o-L.jpg
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	946501   Click image for larger version

Name:	1132526119_rB9uJ-L.jpg
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	946503   Click image for larger version

Name:	1132526360_mhWx2-L.jpg
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	946505  

Click image for larger version

Name:	509980357_tL3sJ-S.jpg
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	946507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Laguna Seca wide shot - early 1980s - 001.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	946509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Laguna Seca wide shot - early 1980s - 002.jpg
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	946511  

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ... LOW ZOOT

Last edited by Rex Coil 7; Jun 20th, 2019 at 10:56 pm. Reason: added clarity
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Camping on the hill at the track was a lot of fun. A party in the dark surrounded by tents and motorcycles.
I camped in 1996 (the shirt says), the year they named turn 9 "Rainey Curve". Forget which day, but after the races and most people were gone my friend and I ran into the man himself getting an ice cream, and Wayne autographed my Wayne Rainey shirt. That was sofa king cool.

Another year was wearing a Mick Doohan championship shirt, and he was in the stands, surprise. Had to borrow a marker from the guy behind me, but got that one autographed too.

Also have one from a WSBK year with several sigs. Maybe I should get a Kevin Schwantz shirt and go try to complete the trio from back in the golden days of Grand Prix. Rainey, Schwantz, Doohan.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2019, 11:50 pm

Garage
Hotel and tickets already paid for. Just gotta go. Already talked to my boss and I have approval for vacation time for the weekend. I am all set. As stated, just gotta get there.

I went every year from '96 to 2001. Missed 2002 due to a military TDY. Made it the next few years but after 2006 I stopped going for a few years. Then when WSBK was suddenly back on the calendar, late in the year in 2013 (I think it was) we went back and have been every year since.

It was great back in the mid 90s. AMA raced at Laguna in April or so, then again when WSBK was in town. Then there was AMA at Sears Point in August and the Sacramento Mile in September. The IMS was at the San Mateo event center in November kind of signaling the end of the season.

Now there's just the WSBK weekend and Sears Point (now Sonoma) and Sac Mile

The Calistoga Half Mile WAS a great venue and good racing.....until it was pretty much ruined. No infield access anymore....which anyone who's ever been to a dirt track race knows, is the best view going at any dirt track.

There was the Sonoma Mile too.....but that track just sucks. The only way to view anything is from the grand stands. GA tickets don't get you that and there's no infield access so.....never going back there again.

Lastly there's the IMS. It was moved one year to San Jose, to a venue half the size of San Mateo.....but it was still a good event. Then it was moved to Sacramento and it wasn't as good, but still not a horrible venue. Then....it just went away. Pretty much the largest motorcycle market in the US no longer has a show. So, I doubt I'll ever attend another one.

I will continue to go to Monterey.....not just because of Laguna Seca but I love the area. Pacific Grove to me is just a magical place to spend time. We'll be at the Spindrift Inn on Cannery Row again this year. I can barely wait for the weekend to start....we're heading down on Thursday and staying until Monday. Hope to see some more dot MS members there.........sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode