Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2017, 1:41 pm Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes?

Quote:
'Loud pipes save lives' and 'the louder it is the faster it is' are all phrases you’ve probably heard before, but for a lot of people – particularly the non-riding public – loud exhausts prove to be obnoxious. Which camp do you find yourself in?
Read more about the Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 10:16 pm

This thread is located in the Ducati MS News.

Amazed Where is the 'News?

This comment: "...but for a lot of people – particularly the non-riding public – loud exhausts prove to be obnoxious."

Asinine statement. What facts are the basis of this comment?
Warhammer and superadv like this.

2002 ST4s, Carrozzeria, Traxxion Dynamics, AL FW,
2003 ST4$ in second fastest color, Red !!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2017, 11:57 am

People who voted against, either

don't ride

don't live in a city with masses of teenagers texting

don't live in a high density traffic area with multiple lanes

Don't live in Texas with little discipline on the highway being allowed to cruise in any lane and switch frequently

Don't own a Ducati

bob
jcasella and samadhi like this.

Ducati ST4s (gen II) {Duc 900 SS-SP gone but not forgotten}
Husaberg FE 400, Trumpet Tiger 800

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve__d View Post
… This comment: "...but for a lot of people – particularly the non-riding public – loud exhausts prove to be obnoxious."
Asinine statement. What facts are the basis of this comment?
Perhaps the fact that it’s true? For a lot of people – particularly the non-riding public – loud exhausts DO prove to be obnoxious. To deny that reality is asinine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McCarthy View Post
People who voted against, either
don't ride
don't live in a city with masses of teenagers texting
don't live in a high density traffic area with multiple lanes
Don't live in Texas with little discipline on the highway being allowed to cruise in any lane and switch frequently
Don't own a Ducati
bob
False. False. False. True, but I did ride for 25 years in SoCal, and the last 5 years in New England – Los Angeles and Boston are both worse than anything Texas has to offer. And false.

Perhaps people who voted against have found that people who are insulated in their cars and distracted don’t wake up for loud pipes, especially when the sound of the pipes goes mostly to the rear, while the threats of the road mostly come from the front.

PhilB

1993 Ducati Monster M900, bought new, 265K miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17. 1995 M900, was ex-wife's bike, now mine again.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2017, 2:46 pm

What? Only 2 options? I can't choose either.

I would pick a "A little bit louder without being obnoxious" or "Loud pipes are fine if ridden conscientiously".

I am well aware my 900ss is really loud and not everybody likes it, so I don't rev high in neighborhoods, or in front of a cafe where people are eating outside, for example. The other day my wife and I were enjoying a late evening drink at a restaurant with outdoor seating. This guy on a big bagger Harley fired up his bike with the pipes facing right at us from about 10 feet away. It sounded really nice, at first, but then he proceeded to rev the piss out of it 6-8 times. It was painfully loud to me... and I'm not nearly as sensitive to loud sounds as my wife. THEN he turned on his stereo, cranking ACDCs Back in Black as he goosed it out of the parking lot. He went around the corner where I couldn't see him and must have been caught by a red light because he started revving the motor again. He must have been 4-5 blocks away before I couldn't hear the music anymore, and even further for the pipes.
Long story short, "loudness" is only one part of the equation. Manners matter just as much.

95 900SS/SP #210
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2017, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoncer View Post
Perhaps the fact that it’s true? For a lot of people – particularly the non-riding public – loud exhausts DO prove to be obnoxious. To deny that reality is asinine.

False. False. False. True, but I did ride for 25 years in SoCal, and the last 5 years in New England – Los Angeles and Boston are both worse than anything Texas has to offer. And false.

Perhaps people who voted against have found that people who are insulated in their cars and distracted don’t wake up for loud pipes, especially when the sound of the pipes goes mostly to the rear, while the threats of the road mostly come from the front.

PhilB
Phil, We'll have to agree to disagree. I am on the same page as another poster with the thought if your bike is loud it important to be considerate for others. I never start the bike in the garage as it megaphones the sound to the neighborhood. Never rev the bike unnecessarily. Be considerate in public places. But in traffic when I see a cage drifting a little erratically. I get close enough (but not too close) I see people becoming aware of my presence solely due to the engine. Once I'm sure they see me I move past. Using a horn (other than its really wimpy) often invites road rage.

Any my bike is loud but not extremely so. Factory DP exhaust here.

bob
jcasella likes this.

Ducati ST4s (gen II) {Duc 900 SS-SP gone but not forgotten}
Husaberg FE 400, Trumpet Tiger 800
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 7:01 pm

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning how to ride that thing would do.

Seriously. If your reason for straight pipes has ANYTHING to do with "safety", then you just might have other problems that you should deal with first.

2006 Ducati ST3S
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2017, 5:24 pm

I am against "loud pipes without a reason". By that I mean putting straight pipes on an 883 is bunch of b.s., just makes for noise pollution. I can pretty much say this for any bagger.... My friend had a great set on his MV F4. I would let him ride ahead in the traffic so that he could rev the piss out out his bike and get the cagers to take note.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Interesting read:

AMA: The Price Of Loud Pipes And Excessive Noise Is, Lost Rights For Motorcyclists
PhilBoncer likes this.

'13 MTS GT / '99 ST2
'07 Monster 695 - Sold
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Nice article. Personally, I hate loud pipes. The fact is that we motorcyclists are in the minority, and creating a nuisance in public doesn't help our causes. Last week I saw a group of 4 guys on dirt bikes popping wheelies through city streets. Moron squids. Every weekend at about 1 or 2AM some idiots with really loud pipes race down the expressway near my house. Windows closed, quarter mile away on the other side of dense woods and its loud enough to wake the dead. They know there are no cops around (yet), so they're screwing down the road. Idiots. Granted, not all bikers with loud pipes are squids. But they all give the rest of us bikers a bad rep.
WarBaby, HiFlite and PhilBoncer like this.

New Ducati owner and MotoGP Fanatic
2016 Classic Ducati Red Multistrada 1200S Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode