Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2017, 12:51 pm

I've only had a couple sewing machine quiet bikes in almost 20 years on street. The were many more close calls on those (lockups, heart pounding, twitch around a rear fender stuff). Harleys and Ducs do seem to get heard in my experience. So I won't say loud pipes save lives but they have saved some possible accidents.

'77 RD-400
'03 FLSTF
'06 Sport 1000 Yellow
'04 XL1200R
'07 999s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2017, 5:34 am

I certainly want to hear my engine growl but open pipes are very annoying.

2015 Hypermotard w/Termi full exhaust w/Duc up-map, Evotech tail tidy, Duc carbon windscreen & Speedy Moto sliders.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 12:52 pm

Garage
I think we're all saying - loud enough to be noticed, but not so loud it's annoying.

My Monster with a Termi pipe is louder than my VFR, and I'm more careful to not rev the piss out of it in neighborhoods. I've had plenty of cagers come too close when I'm on the VFR, I expect that to be somewhat minimized on the Monster.

A cager with the windows up, a/c on, and stereo running likely would "see" me on the VFR, but never "hear" me.
The Monster should get noticed both ways, hopefully waking up a few cagers from their commuting funk.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 7:43 pm

Garage
OK, here in the lane-splitting free world, loud pipes definitely save lives as we filter through the pot smoking, texting, nose picking, radio fiddling, caged numbskulls. YOu cant believe the pot smoke density I lane split through on the Bay Bridge at rush hour! FWIW, if I were a gridlocked 49-stater, my opinion on the safety value of open pipes may likely vary..

PLEASE.. join the rational rest of the known universe: FIGHT FOR LEGAL LANE SPLITTING IN YOUR US STATE. then open up those termis

-bucky
2011 1198 - 2001 996 mono - 2002 ST4s ti - 2003 R1150RT
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 7:47 pm

My Monster 12 sounds good stock to me. But some bikes sound corked up, and just too quiet. My '07 Tuono was in that category stock. Way too quiet, like trying to sneak a fart in public.

It was pretty loud, but not too bad with the GPR slip ons. The '03 Tuono also loud but not too bad with Leo Vince, I have never heard it with the stock pipe.

TLDR. I like to hear the engine music, no need to piss off the neighbors or cops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode