LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2019, 4:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage
E10 Ethanol

Hey

I am in Ireland, have a 748s 2002 and a monster 900 1997 carb bike

There is talk of having E10 as the main source of fuel on the forecourts

You guys have it in the US, a number of years now

Any adverse affects running it on the older carb bikes and tamburini models?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Garage
Unhappy Ethanol

You are correct that most states do offer ethanol based fuels here, however, general consensus is that you probably should avoid it in your bike if you can. Alcohol absorbs water and that in itself can cause issues....not that you have any damp weather in Ireland! Also alcohol and rubber parts, think fuel lines and carburetor diaphragms for example, do not get along with exposure leading to deterioration. This may not help in your particular situation, but I never use any alcohol blended fuels in any of my vehicles. An octane additive may help with the performance aspect but you still are left with the detrimental effects of alcohol if that is what you are forced to use. Frankly from what I have read the only benefit achieved from even using alcohol in fuel is if you happen to make your living by growing corn!! Good luck.

Been around the block...….several times!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2019, 7:04 pm

What Mo said.

I had a '98 Honda VFR that was fine with E10, so your Ducatis MIGHT be OK, just based on age.
Plastic tanks don't seem to like it, not sure if you have one of those.
Anyway, no definite answer from me, sorry.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2019, 9:53 pm
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't touch the shit if I can help it at all. If I can't I only put enough in to get me somewhere where I can avoid the shit again. It's pure shit. So sorry you will have to deal with that shit now.
jheurte and cavman 69 like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2019, 10:22 pm

Still not a chemist, but the stuff is evil.

It stays volatile a total of maybe 2-4 weeks, wreaks havoc on rubber and plastic components and the water it attracts corrodes plated parts, especially those having zinc plating, which is basically everything these days since cadmium has been outlawed with it being a heavy metal. It will swell plastic tanks if left in them too long. Even if you drain the carbs, the crap from it dissolving everything it touches - especially rubber fuel lines - and the particles from corrosion plug up tiny pilot jets just from the surface tension of the gas stuck in the openings. My Mikuni BDST38's hate the stuff although my DelOrto's seem to deal with it a bit better. I have also had the experience on a DelOrto where the miserable stuff ate through a seam on a float - causing it to no longer to be a "float"- with the result of gas filling the crankcase. Oh yeah, the petcocks were "off", but the old Ducati petcocks A) suck and B) the stuff ate the seals. Care to hear more, perhaps with my old Porsches? I could go on and on.

My procedure is to use No-E gas whenever possible but, even then, I treat it with Stabil and a neutralizer and drain the tanks on my bikes after each ride. Carbs, too, on my older bikes. Interestingly, the injected bikes do not seem to have much a problem with this crap, but I still follow my procedure in any case. Carb bikes? Good luck.

The stuff is evil.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2019, 10:29 pm

One more comment.

If you think you're doing good for the environment by using this shit, think again. E-gas has a lot less energy per gallon in the form of BTU so now it takes more of this crap to go the same distance. But you just feel better doing it. In Physicsland, you don't get something for nothing. Sorry.

Still not a chemist.
herveyw likes this.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Garage
Welcome! The FI bike, no problem to minimal yearly maintenance items. The old carbie, now you got something to keep an eye on unless you ride it like you stole everyday, but then your biggest problem won't be the E10!

But yeah, two,three weeks in the shed between rides and you better put something in the tank to deal with the water - because of the the Green Isle temps/humidity the corn is going to drop out as water; Seafoam - that's available there, yes? Lucas? Stabil is ok too but better to ride the tits off off it as often as the Guarda will let you get away with.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746

Last edited by RockAZ; Jul 20th, 2019 at 11:00 pm.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2019, 2:11 am

I've heard good things about StaBil 360 Marine. It's a different compound than the StaBil red.

LINK = https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-360-marine/

Use 0.5 ounces per tankful of fuel.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ...Go, Blow, Or Put A Hole In The Fence.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2019, 2:48 am Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks

The monster is the daily commuter, and I do drive it like I stole it lol, very few Gardai at 0630 am

The proposal for E10 here is to reduce emissions, its the only card our government has to play, in meeting EU policy (currently its E5 here)

The hygroscopic properties of ethanol is what worries me, might look into those fuel stabilisers and the availability here

Was also looking at using water to remove the ethanol but the base blend is only 85 mon and the 10% ethanol brings it up to your 91 pump gas

Only 91 pump gas is available in Ireland, I was hoping they would mix the ethanol with the current base blend and bring it up to a 93 pump gas but the octane number is what defines the cost of excise duty

No company will put 93 pump on their forecourt due to fear of its price point

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2019, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloL View Post
...Was also looking at using water to remove the ethanol but the base blend is only 85 mon and the 10% ethanol brings it up to your 91 pump gas
That seems self defeating. It's not the Ethanol that is the problem, it's that the Ethanol "attracts" water, and the water is what makes the mess of everything. Ethanol doesn't make the poly fuel tanks swell, it's the water that the Ethanol attracts that makes the poly tanks swell (for example).

See what I mean?

Look into the StaBil 360 Marine. (quoting their webpage) "STA-BIL 360° MARINE offers comprehensive protection by releasing a microscopic corrosion preventing vapor inside the fuel system that coats ALL metals parts, including the fuel tank, fuel sending unit, valves, carburetor, fuel injectors and intake manifold. It’s like fogging oil for your entire fuel system, offering “360 degrees” of corrosion protection and is safe to use in all types of gasoline – from ethanol-free fuel to E85." (end quote).

Ethanol added to gasoline is all feel-good whitewash to make the comfortably numb feel like they're saving the planet. Just another scheme to make billions of munny.

You're best off enjoying these internal combustion engine powered motorcycles all we can, while we still can. Once gasoline is taxed out of reach for most people (at $10 .. $15 .. $20 per gallon) the joyful experience we've all known will fade to black. I've owned motorcycles that seem like they're powered by sewing machine motors (inline 4s with stock exhaust) ... I don't enjoy that experience anywhere near as much as I enjoy the thrill of the ~vroom!~ of truly man-sized hairy chested engines propelling me forward.

There is a song by the band "Rush" called Red Barchetta. There is a stanza in the song that depicts the experience to a "T" ...

Wind in my hair.
Shifting and drifting.
Mechanical music.
Adrenaline surge.

Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware.

That's livin, brothers !!!!

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ...Go, Blow, Or Put A Hole In The Fence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode