Scraping/Grinding noise at Speed - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2019, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Scraping/Grinding noise at Speed

Been dealing with a scraping/grinding noise coming from the front brakes (I assume) of my 2010 Hyper1100 EVO.

The noise can't be heard at slow speeds below 35mph or on the stand. Can hear it in 3rd gear around 45-65mph. Can also hear it when pulling in the clutch from 50-65mph also. Some days its louder than others.

I never noticed the noise until I switch from wearing headphones to a Bluetooth comm device a few months ago. Pulled off the calipers and gave them a good cleaning without breaking them apart. Took out a few pistons that I believed to be stuck and cleaned them, although they weren't that dirty. Greased the caliper pins and the back of pads. Pads are the original ones and don't seem to have heavy or uneven wear...Bike has almost 11k.

Today I put new tires on, so I had the front wheel removed. Was hoping re-installing the front wheel/calipers would solve the problem but nope.

I cannot feel any negative effects on front braking power, btw. Everything seems fine other than the scraping sound.

Was thinking of pulling the calipers off the line and thoroughly cleaning the internals....

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

2010 Hypermotard 1100 EVO

2010 Hypermotard 796 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2019, 8:17 am
Prolific Poster Award

So , youíve spun the wheels with the bike on stands, applying the brakes, and you canít replicate the noise ?

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2019, 8:53 am

There are only a few moving parts that are completely speed related. Front wheel and related hardware, Rear wheel and related hardware, and the drive chain/sprockets. It can be hard to pinpoint a sound while moving, I once had a sound I could have sworn was coming from the front when it was actually a backed out bolt hitting by the chain, so it might be worth checking the final drive and rear wheel as well.

10 Bikes, 2 Ducks
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2019, 11:51 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
So , youíve spun the wheels with the bike on stands, applying the brakes, and you canít replicate the noise ?
No I cannot replicate the sound on stands. Seems to only happen at speeds above 40mph. I will check the final drive later today but I'm 99% sure it's coming from the front wheel area.

Could it be a bent rotor?

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Check your wheel bearings?
Have a friend stand in the middle of a parking lot; ride past him a few times. He may be able to help pinpoint it.

2012 Multistrada S
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon (stolen January 2019)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2019, 8:07 am
Prolific Poster Award

If you canít hear it when on stands,you can still check your rotors for flatness and turn wheels slowly feeling for roughness or just a spot that feels different. That would probably be wheel bearings. Have the wheels been off the bike lately ? Check your chain, chain guards, and fenders for rubbing. Sometimes itís a loose nut holding the throttle.😁
soko likes this.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2019, 4:02 pm

If the disc was bent, you would feel it pulsing through the lever when you braked.
soko likes this.

'89 851, '92 888 (SP4), 2001 996R, '92 888/996 project.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2019, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input so far guys.

Like ducati dad said there is no issues with braking power/feel so I think a warped rotor is out of the question.

Update:

I took out the pads and put the bike on the front stand. I spun the front wheel and I can hear a slight "low grinding" sound coming from the center hub. It's very faint but the faster you spin the wheel the louder it gets. I've never had any bearing issues with any vehicle of mine so I'm not sure if this noise is normal and I'm mistaking the bearing rolling around the axle as "grinding"....Or is it supposed to be completely silent?

If it's supposed to be silent...I think I found the problem.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2019, 9:05 am

Garage
There should never be an actual grinding sound with wheel bearings. Total silence is also unlikely (in my experience) you will probably hear the bearings as they move but it should be smooth sounding.

You might compare it to the rear wheel or another bike just to give it some perspective.

"And like the snows of yesteryear...gone from the earth"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2019, 9:10 am
Prolific Poster Award

There should be NO noise or grinding coming from the hub. You need to tear into it. Good bearings would be totally silent and smooth. They are cheap, replace them.
soko likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode