Liquid cooled vs Air Cooled Clutch Slave Cylinder - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 8:20 am Thread Starter

Garage
Liquid cooled vs Air Cooled Clutch Slave Cylinder

Hi all , I have a Monster1200R that suffers from the same problems as my previous bike (1098) in the clutch slave cylinder dept. The clutch gets progressively softer until you can't find neutral or shift from neutral to first. It requires bleeding yearly and sometimes more often. Its easy enough to do and I know that an aftermarket cylinder would solve the problem.

My 1100s Hyper (which appears to have the same slave cylinder) never has this problem. I only bleed it when doing maintenance. IIRC It has only been done once in the last few years and that was just to refresh the fluid. Performance was fine.

What gives ?

"And like the snows of yesteryear...gone from the earth"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 1:55 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn of the Dead View Post
Hi all , I have a Monster1200R that suffers from the same problems as my previous bike (1098) in the clutch slave cylinder dept. The clutch gets progressively softer until you can't find neutral or shift from neutral to first. It requires bleeding yearly and sometimes more often. Its easy enough to do and I know that an aftermarket cylinder would solve the problem.

My 1100s Hyper (which appears to have the same slave cylinder) never has this problem. I only bleed it when doing maintenance. IIRC It has only been done once in the last few years and that was just to refresh the fluid. Performance was fine.

What gives ?
How would an aftermarket slave cylinder solve this problem?

Thanks
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 6:54 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpencer View Post
How would an aftermarket slave cylinder solve this problem?

Thanks
My understanding is the aftermarket slave cylinders have a better seal to prevent contamination of the fluid. They also have more surface area for a lighter clutch pull.

I was more curious as to why my air cooled bike doesn't have this issue but my 4 valvers do.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Quote:
My understanding is the aftermarket slave cylinders have a better seal to prevent contamination of the fluid. They also have more surface area for a lighter clutch pull.
Lighter pull = less throw, doesn't it? If so that may create creep at stops. Maybe ... or not ... or something.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 1:51 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
Lighter pull = less throw, doesn't it? If so that may create creep at stops. Maybe ... or not ... or something.

Lighter pull do to more surface area , same throw... I've already had creep ...or I am a creep ... and I just remembered I forgot to bleed at the master cylinder as well as the slave ..... facepalm :/

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 8:43 pm

Garage
Quote:
Lighter pull do to more surface area , same throw...
The laws of physics would say otherwise. If the slave has more surface area and the master hasn't changed, you get less throw (at the clutch) with lighter action.
SP3 likes this.

-Craig
1991 851 Strada
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2019, 11:35 am

Could the rod be rotating the slave piston in the bore? Are there any signs of rotation where the slave piston and the clutch rod contact indicating that the bearing on the clutch end of the rod is failing?

1995 900SS/SP
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2019, 11:50 am

Quote:
I was more curious as to why my air cooled bike doesn't have this issue but my 4 valvers do.
The air cooled 900ss eng in my Bimota as well as my 916 eat clutch slave seals for lunch every day. Well, OK, not THAT often, but it has happened on both bikes with the results that you describe. My amateur opinion is that these things live in the dirt and get used a lot so the seals are more prone to wear. I have since resorted to cleaning them regularly - like at each oil change - the seals, the shaft, new orings and lubing the shaft as well as cleaning the tunnel with gun cleaning brushes. I also bleed them each time. Every time I take them apart, something is dirty and gritty. All this is relatively easy to do and has gone a long way to keeping the slave working.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2019, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by casor View Post
Quote:
The air cooled 900ss eng in my Bimota as well as my 916 eat clutch slave seals for lunch every day. Well, OK, not THAT often, but it has happened on both bikes with the results that you describe. My amateur opinion is that these things live in the dirt and get used a lot so the seals are more prone to wear. I have since resorted to cleaning them regularly - like at each oil change - the seals, the shaft, new orings and lubing the shaft as well as cleaning the tunnel with gun cleaning brushes. I also bleed them each time. Every time I take them apart, something is dirty and gritty. All this is relatively easy to do and has gone a long way to keeping the slave working.
Do you run a case saver over chain/countershaft sprocket? They catch a lot of the dirt/grime flung off the chain. Might help the slave out and save your cases if you snap a chain. Desmotimes sells them.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnmon View Post
Do you run a case saver over chain/countershaft sprocket? They catch a lot of the dirt/grime flung off the chain. Might help the slave out and save your cases if you snap a chain. Desmotimes sells them.
No I don't as I guess I didn't know they existed. Now I can't live without one. Or two. Thanks for chiming.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode