Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
What should my next Duc be?
Picked up a '96 900SS a while ago after reading rave reviews all over the place.
The bike is so awesome. Love how it sounds, how it rides, the character, the looks, all the Ducati stuff (I get it now!). Easily my favorite bike I have ever ridden. As someone who works on his vehicles, I've also been happy with how straightforward the bike is to maintain.
Assuming one wanted to get a little deeper into this Ducati obsession, what would be the next bike I should check out? Trying to decide what I should start saving up for.
Here's some background:
* No superbikes -- I don't really do any track riding and want something I'm actually going to want to ride all the time.
* Not into touring or cruising
* Am 5'9". I tend to like my bikes on the smaller side -- love the size of the 900ss. But that's not a firm requirement.
* Would prefer something that's at least somewhat reasonable to work on, not really a "take it to the dealership" dude.
* Would prefer to keep the price under $10k.
* Not necessarily a speed whore (my 900SS with FCRs is plenty fast to keep me entertained).
Was initially considering an M900, but I'm concerned that it'll be really similar to my 900SS.
Hypermotards look cool, but I worry my lack of inseam will make the ownership experience a bit annoying.
Some of the newer Monsters look awesome, especially the newer, smaller 1200s (though I'll have to wait a bit for those to drop in price). But are they user-serviceable?
I guess my main question is -- I've gotten into the gateway drug of the 900SS (a bike that Ducati guru desmodog rightfully called a great introduction to the brand). What's another quintessential Ducati that would be a great next step?
I realize that there will be a many opinions on this, and that's great. I'm just curious what some of the Ducati lifers have to say about it!