What should my next Duc be? - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2019, 10:43 pm

Garage
Why are my ears itching????

Absolutely don't let someone else's opinion make your decision for you, no argument there.

With all the comments I make about how superbikes make horrible streetbikes, the truth is after downsizing I am left with two rideable streetbikes. One of them is a superbike, however it's a sentimental thing mostly. But I have been lusting after a 959 Corse for two years now. And the only Ducati I sometimes regret selling is my 996. Monoposto. Yellow (Yes, yellow, on purpose, and I waited for it rather than taking the in-stock red one).

So yeah, I _LIKE_ superbikes and if someone had a Monster and was looking for another Ducati I might toss the idea out there. But if the guy has a Super Sport and doesn't lust after a Superbike it's not a great idea IMHO.

What other Ducati to buy. If I had a 900ss and wanted another bike, I'd probably look for a Monster. An M900 will be similar to a 900ss for sure, if that's bad and I wanted to stay with an aircooled bike I might look at an 1100 Evo Monster. Downside being a plastic tank but at least it's not a painted one, so??? No experience with them so it may not be an issue, I dunno.

Basically every Ducati made will eventually get mentioned in this thread if you wait long enough. Bikes are an emotional choice. It's a second bike, buy the one you like for whatever reason you like it. If it doesn't get ridden much then so be it. FFS I can recount numerous times I've sworn off superbikes yet every time a Ducati Detroit emails show up with incentives on the 959 I run the numbers in my head and rationalize why this is different... really intellectual stuff, like the track bike I ride three times a year is an Aprilia, and I feel like a traitor riding it, so if I had a brand spanking new 959 I could sell the RSV-R and it'd be kind of like an even up trade, right???

Seriously, go look at the one that keeps popping into your head. Doesn't matter why it keeps popping into your head. It'll be your second Ducati, not your last Ducati.

-Craig
1991 851 Strada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 10:59 am

Garage
I second that!
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2019, 12:32 am Thread Starter

Haha, sorry to put your words on the spot there, Desmodog, just felt like your comment was pretty articulate.

The 900SS is the first sporty bike I've owned after years on dirt bikes and a KLR650. I've gotten pretty comfortable with it, but I'll admit that the thought of a bike with super-aggressive ergos like in the 916 family intimidates me a bit.

But I think you're right, there are a lot of choices and it's hard to tell what you're going to like based on somebody's opinion on a forum.

I might just have to rent some bikes on RidersShare and see what really gets me stoked.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2019, 9:17 am

Garage
One Bike to rule them all, One Bike to find them, One Bike to bring them all and bind them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-Multistrada-1260-PikesPeak-MY18-Red-06-Slider-Gallery-1920x1080.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	948663   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Multistrada-1260-MY18-Red-33-Slider-Gallery-1920x1080.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	948665   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-Multistrada-1260-MY18-White-24-Slider-Gallery-1920x1080.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	948667   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-Multistrada---1260-MY18-Black-30-Slider-Gallery-1920x1080.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	948669  

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Garage
I think the "work on it myself" requirement means older bikes. Even some older bikes (like the 999) need a dealer to do simple things like reset the maintenance minder without special software. (early oughties Aprilias were better in this regard IMO, home mechanic could reset the service minder easily on a Mille)
Let's think older, he already has one that is 23 years old, why not older than that?

1991-93 907 i.e. Would be comfortable, not too fast, and very unique. At the time Tamburini said the Paso (907 was final version) was his ideal motorcycle.
1990 750 Sport quite rare in the US, kind of a parts-bin special. An affordable F1 you could use every day.
early M900 Il Monstro has a certain elegance that later models do not, and should hold their value very well if you could find one in good shape.
Bimota DB2 might be found under $10k. Almost counts as a Ducati, right?

Or...
buy another donor 900SS and build one of these kits.
Ducati TT900 Chassis Kit

1990 851, 2003 999, 2016 1299S, 1985 VF1000R (restoration project)

Last edited by sburns2421; Jul 17th, 2019 at 6:07 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode