What should my next Duc be? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 3:36 pm

I second the Hypermotard 1100. Can't beat it as far as versatility.... And you don't have to break the speed limit to have fun on it....which saves you $$$$$

2010 Hypermotard 1100 EVO

2010 Hypermotard 796 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 11:42 pm

Monster 1200 S or R,,, Its that simple They are the best motorcycles in the world from a pure riding point of view Its astonishing that these bikes do everything perfect Riding position ( seat / bars/ pegs ) / acceleration / braking / turning / comfort / style / suspension / water cooled / belt change every 18, 000 miles. Other naked bikes may have more HP but none will ever match these works of art. I own both an S sTRIPE and an R , AND THE FUN FACTOR CANNOT BE MATCHED
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HB.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	947609   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-Ducati-Monster-1200-R-studio-03.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	947611  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2019, 7:48 am

Tanks still an issue on the air cooled hypers?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2019, 10:44 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermo View Post
I have to agree with the others but I would say try out a 998 no rocker problems to worry about,
you have an iconic ducati in the 900 the next iconic Ducati would be a 748-998 bike. Very easy
to work on no (major problems) like the plastic tank bikes and everyone loves them even non riders.
Find one and try it on for size they are small bikes and more comfortable than any sport classic that is
not a GT.
I agree with almost all of this. But I'd still recommend a 916 or 996 along with the 998.

I kinda did the same as the OP but backwards. I got a 996, and it was everything I thought it would be, and a good deal more. It is easy to work on...which is a plus when you're maintaining several bikes in the garage. It is also a plus when you do all your own work.

The Desmoquattro engine is an evolution of the Desmodue when viewed from a purely mechanical perspective. The crankcase is similar, clutch parts are interchangeable as are the tools to work on the basic stuff. It's only slightly more difficult to work on than the air cooled Desmodue.

Riding performance wise, it's all that you describe your Supersport being, only more of it. More of it all over the spectrum. I'm not saying better....just more of everything.

Ergonomically, there's no comparison. The Supersport is much more comfortable for a long day in the saddle. That stated up front, the 996 isn't horrible. I'd say it's no more uncomfortable than my 1st gen GSXR.

It wouldn't be my first recommend for a 2 or 3 hour slog up the slab but once on the back roads, it's a joy to ride. If you spend more time on one or the other, you'd have the perfect tools for both by adding an iconic superbike to the garage.

For a people to bike sizing reference, I too am 5'9" with a short inseam to boot.....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2019, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by surffly View Post
That's a very good question. I'm too much of a FNG to be able to accurately provide an answer for you.

Myself, I would avoid year/models that were outfitted with the poly tanks altogether. Better safe than sorry.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ...Go, Blow, Or Put A Hole In The Fence.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2019, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by surffly View Post
Having owned both a 06 Sport 1000 and an 08 1100S Hyper for years the tank
on the Hyper has not been an issue as it's hidden under plastic covers. The
Sport 1000 on the other hand was always a problem from spreading issues
that cause it not to fit, to off gassing under the stripe causing it to bubble
and break etc. I sold the Sport 1000 an picked up a 998 metal tank I told
myself no more plastic tank Ducati's, but I still love the look of the 1299
Anniversario the plastic tank and heat issues are keeping me from buying it
for now.

2008 Hypermotard 1100S.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2019, 10:35 pm

I have two 748s and have had a 999. I love them, but it sounds like they are not your cup of tea. From the description of your riding, and as many others have suggested, you cannot go wrong with an 1100 Hyper. It meets all of your criteria, plus I'm 5-8 and I can ride mine off highway where I have to dab a lot and sometimes have awkward terrain. That could not be a problem for you just on the street. In addition, if you wanted to adventure ride it, buy some knobs and you are mostly all set.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 6:59 am

While just out of "budget", how about a 999R?
Bet they never get cheaper then they are right now....
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2019, 11:17 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I realize ruling out the superbikes isn't popular, but I can't help but think of Desmodog's post on the subject: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-supe...ml#post5881081

Maybe sometime in the future, but for now I want something I'm going to ride all the time!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2019, 7:23 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyodeath View Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I realize ruling out the superbikes isn't popular, but I can't help but think of Desmodog's post on the subject: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-supe...ml#post5881081

Maybe sometime in the future, but for now I want something I'm going to ride all the time!
Our weekly club rides (which are usually about 200 miles) is made up of mostly superbikes. No one complains about being able to ride for several hours on a superbike and we do tons of canyons, mountains, and valleys.

We have a lot of different body types on those super bikes as well, although I would say that everyone is for the most part reasonably athletic and no one is unhealthily heavy. You're 5'9" which makes you better suited to bikes like the 916 gen than taller or shorter people. In the end, I say don't let someone else's opinion make a decision for you. You might end up missing out on some of the best things in life.

1996 900 SS/SP #C22, 1996 916 Corsa (ex-Ferracci), 1998 916 SPS #774, 1999 748R (race), 2001 996R (US), 2001 996R (Euro), 2002 998R #481, 2011 848 EVO (race), 2008 1098R #262, 2014 1199 Superleggera #213
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode