Ducati customer service no help at all with import - what to do now? - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 10:06 am
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixbroke View Post

Any suggestions for alternative action? Is there anyone else at Ducati who might be able to see reason and provide the letter?
Certain states will do out -of -state registration for non-residents, all you need is some paperwork and few $$...

a motorcycle with 2 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 10:55 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixbroke View Post
Thanks all for the input and comments thus far.

I know that DNA has no specific obligation to provide documentation, beyond the conventions and expectations of helping a customer, so I know this is on me. However, it's pretty disappointing to see the cowardice of a motorcycle manufacturer in the face of a trifling, debatably imagined, concern over legal liability.

<snip>

Keeping it Canada registered is something I looked at, but my home province refused to re register it without it inside the country. Besides that, and in keeping with the theme of legal liability concerns, I wouldn't be comfortable knowing that my insurance was on shaky ground.
So when Ducati doesn't want to venture into legal liabilities they are cowards, but when YOU may face financial burdens its a different story? Let me guess, you bought the bike used, and now expecting preferential treatment because you're such a great customer?

If you have a local address how does the province know the bike isn't there? Do they need to see it to renew the registration? (Honest question, I don't know). Can you get insurance in the US for a bike that's registered in Canada? I don't know that either. Should we discuss if your concern over potential legal liability is imagined?

Quote:
A possibility has come up to have the bike imported by an official importer. Though this is not without cost (and a month waiting out a grace period), it would at least mean that I get to keep the bike. It would unfortunately also entail swapping out my beautiful Termi exhaust system for the stocker, too.
You realize you wouldn't have to surrender the Termi exhaust, right? Put it on for the customs inspection, take it off when you get the paperwork signed. Stock Hyper exhausts can't be hard to find. It's not rocket science switching them. FFS if you aren't even willing to do that just ship it back, buy a Yamaha (That'll show those pussies at Ducati!) or whatever and get on with life.

A couple misc thoughts garnered from 30+ years in the OEM exhaust development world (as in dealing with gov't requirements) and 25+ years dealing with Ducatis.

Letters of conformance are neither standard nor ubiquitous
EPA compliance is not a trivial thing
ECUs are kind of a big deal in the compliance world.
Ducati doesn't give a shit about bikes they've already sold. Certainly not ten year old bikes.

Good luck... and realize you're going to have to pay a tariff(?) on the bike if/when this goes through. Tariff may not be the right word but there will be a fee for importing an Italian vehicle. I think it was around $200 for my 851, no idea what it will be for you. And there's the cost of the new gas tank when our ethanol laced fuel ruins the stock one...

-Craig
1991 851 Strada
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 11:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pard View Post
Yep, the Italians...blah...blah...blah...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/07/vald...addressed.html
Yea yea, but they're happy man, and what can be more important than that (besides getting your Canadian Ducati sorted in America).

Pointing the finger at others when you have the LARGEST external dept in the world is just not on, and neither is linking CNBC fake news as any source of credibility.

Jeez, how hard can it be to just stamp the Canadians shit, take his money, and send him away a happy customer. Maybe he should've just crossed from the southern border.
Pard and Rex Coil 7 like this.

Old Yellow SuperSport
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Garage
This is not a secret. None of the VW-Audi companies will do this after diesel gate and it's known to anyone who takes the time to make a few calls ahead of time.

A couple of years ago, I started the process of buying a special VW Corrado from Canada that was actually owned by a VW Canada executive. Before I purchased it, I did the research of figuring out how to legally bring it to the US. Of course it was a no go: no letter of conformity from VW. I didn't get the whole story as to why but it was indeed related to the EPA issues from the whole scandal. Needless to say, I didn't go through with the purchase and that's why I did all that research before I bought it and not after.

Again, this is a super easily researched and well known issue and I'm not sure why the blame would be on Ducati. There are lot's of possible solutions to this but wringing one's hands over Ducati's "cowardice" and "imagined concerns" over EPA regulations is just way off base. There is nothing "imagined" about a $2.8 BILLION fine from the EPA.

I don't have any issues with someone's making a mistake and not checking the import requirements ahead of time (although I am curious how it even got across the border) but I do take exception with blaming someone else (Ducati in this case) for something that was not their mistake.

1996 900 SS/SP #C22, 1996 916 Corsa (ex-Ferracci), 1998 916 SPS #774, 1999 748R (race), 2001 996R (US), 2001 996R (Euro), 2002 998R #481, 2011 848 EVO (race), 2008 1098R #262, 2014 1199 Superleggera #213
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Mike = "I know of no American employer that offers any more than three weeks paid vacation."

Except the entire U.S Military (one month paid leave per year in addition to sick leave and maternity leave). Leave is accrued 2.5 days per month.

... I'm just poking fun ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZADSS View Post
Pard likes this.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ...Go, Blow, Or Put A Hole In The Fence.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Garage
Oregon used to be one of the states that allow you to register a bike with a PO Box, don't know how relaxed they still are.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAZ View Post
Oregon used to be one of the states that allow you to register a bike with a PO Box, don't know how relaxed they still are.
Unfortunately, you still wouldn't be able to register a vehicle without a valid title from another state. A US state's DMV registration doesn't work without a properly imported vehicle as federal guidelines still have to be met.

1996 900 SS/SP #C22, 1996 916 Corsa (ex-Ferracci), 1998 916 SPS #774, 1999 748R (race), 2001 996R (US), 2001 996R (Euro), 2002 998R #481, 2011 848 EVO (race), 2008 1098R #262, 2014 1199 Superleggera #213
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 1:30 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
Unfortunately, you still wouldn't be able to register a vehicle without a valid title from another state. A US state's DMV registration doesn't work without a properly imported vehicle as federal guidelines still have to be met.
In VT you can get plates for your Grandma with a bill of sale written on a napkin, providing she has some kind of serial number...

a motorcycle with 2 wheels
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
In VT you can get plates for your Grandma with a bill of sale written on a napkin, providing she has some kind of serial number...
Ah shit. That reminds me that I have to renew the registration on my Grandma...

post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
Mike = "I know of no American employer that offers any more than three weeks paid vacation."

Except the entire U.S Military (one month paid leave per year in addition to sick leave and maternity leave). Leave is accrued 2.5 days per month.

... I'm just poking fun ...
I didn't watch the video but Mike needs to get out more. I'm up to five weeks per year, plus the time between Christmas and new year's. It's not at all uncommon in the auto industry, which is something I thought he'd know a bit about. Some of the guys I work with get six weeks, but that's not a permanent thing, it goes away at some point.

-Craig
1991 851 Strada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode