Ducati customer service no help at all with import - what to do now? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 2:16 pm

Isn't there a scam where you can register it in Montana through an LLC. But keep the bike where ever you live. Not exactly legal, but people do this. I am not advocating it but hey...how bad do you want to keep the bike?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 3:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixbroke View Post
I Is there anyone else at Ducati who might be able to see reason and provide the letter?
Have you tried working through your Canadian Ducati dealer or your local US dealer? Perhaps Ducati North America would entertain a request for a Letter of Conformity direct from one of their dealers.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 6:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixbroke View Post
It would unfortunately also entail swapping out my beautiful Termi exhaust system for the stocker, too.
seriously? i don't think you really understand the process of what you're trying to do here.

know all wanker
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 11:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega View Post
Have you tried working through your Canadian Ducati dealer or your local US dealer? Perhaps Ducati North America would entertain a request for a Letter of Conformity direct from one of their dealers.
I've tried a few Cali dealers, but they all seem to clam up as soon as I mention customs, citing liability concerns. Not a bad idea to check with a Canadian dealer, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belter View Post
seriously? i don't think you really understand the process of what you're trying to do here.
I've spent a lot of time and effort researching this. Seriously.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 11:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoFiend View Post
Isn't there a scam where you can register it in Montana through an LLC. But keep the bike where ever you live. Not exactly legal, but people do this. I am not advocating it but hey...how bad do you want to keep the bike?

Registering through friendlier states will still unfortunately require the vehicle have passed through federal customs. I'll keep that option in my pocket if, once the federal hurdle has been cleared, California gives me too much grief.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2019, 1:17 am

my point was, the first thing you do when trying to import a bike into another country is return it to std. everything. turning up with an aftermarket exhaust is like wearing a t-shirt that says "please fuck me over".

know all wanker
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 6:17 am

Dude c'mon, Ducati just don't want to deal with the asspain that is American Bureaucracy, and judging by the comments here surely you can understand that, in sane countries your problem can be solved with a cheap bottle of wine and a few slices of pizza, move to Italy.

: Ducati Factory 5:50

Old Yellow SuperSport
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 7:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZADSS View Post
Dude c'mon, Ducati just don't want to deal with the asspain that is American Bureaucracy, and judging by the comments here surely you can understand that, in sane countries your problem can be solved with a cheap bottle of wine and a few slices of pizza, move to Italy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvdzhU50YB8 : Ducati Factory 5:50
Yep, the Italians have it all figured out ... free lunch for everyone! American Bureaucracy may be excessive, but only Greece wishes it could run like Italy.

Micheal Moore may have had several lunches. Check out the look the Ducati worker gives MM at the 11:30 mark in the video.

Maybe Michael Moore should just give a new American spec Ducati to our OP to cut out the red tape.

“Given the high level of Italy’s public debt, and Italy has the highest debt-to-GDP (gross domestic product) ratio in the EU after Greece, it’s important that Italy puts its debt-to-GDP ratio on a downwards trajectory. And this is something which we have (been) consistently emphasizing and we think that this is important,”

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/07/vald...addressed.html

Last edited by Pard; Jul 5th, 2019 at 7:29 am.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 8:41 am

I don't see why the OP is so caviler about the liability for Ducati.
Look at all the press VW is getting right now.
Zero reason for Ducati to want to say "yeah its good" when they don't have all their ducks in a row?

This simply is not a thing that Ducati, or many manufactures, deal with on a regular bases.
It is hard enough to get something legal in one jurisdiction, let alone have something cross borders.

Shipping back to Canada should not be $1500 as it is not actually being imported (you said it was still on current tags?)
At the end of of the day it isn't hard to find the exact same bike here in the states.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 8:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoFiend View Post

Not a scam really.
Just a legal loophole.

Really does not make financial sense until you are talking about six and seven figure collections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode