Ducati DDA (Not +, the one for the 1098/848/etc) on a Windows 10 64 bit PC - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Ducati DDA (Not +, the one for the 1098/848/etc) on a Windows 10 64 bit PC

Anyone get this working on a new PC? Ive got one that is windows 10 64 bit and I cant get the driver to recognise the device, I just get a generic device in device manager. This is including downloading the new package from prosa that says it should support windows 10.

I sent feedback but its more of an automated system and likely wont be hearing back.

2012 Ducati 848 Evo Corse, 2002 MV Agusta F4, 2007 Moto Guzzi Griso, cars a trailer and a house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 4:14 am
Excel Addict

Generic response - I rarely use Windows and this is from memory years gone by.

Can you select update driver or similar then Browse to select the driver you downloaded?

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!

Last edited by Punch; Jun 25th, 2019 at 4:15 am. Reason: Typo
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 7:49 am Thread Starter

Garage
Soo,

Looks like the ONLY option is to find an old Windows XP machine.

I finally got the NEW version of the software to work in windows 7 and recognize the device. It told me my device is obsolete and I have to use the 2007 software. So I tried that. That software wont run in anything but a windows XP/2000 environment. So I thought, "Hey, lets try XP mode." Software runs BUT turns out XP mode cant recognize ANY USB3.0 ports. Well guess what, my computer ONLY has USB3.0 ports.

What a comedy of errors, Ive forgotten how horrible OEMs are about updating. Really hoping borroing a retired mechanics old XP machine will allow me to at least get this thing to run windows 7, but would be better if it worked on 10. I dont really want to have to lug around an old POS laptop just to make this work.

2012 Ducati 848 Evo Corse, 2002 MV Agusta F4, 2007 Moto Guzzi Griso, cars a trailer and a house
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 11:41 am

I've also messed about with these devices (for Mac OS X mostly) and learned the following.

There are two versions of the DDA device which both look identical. On mac you can easily find out which one you have by looking in System information and the USB-bus where it's connected, the version of the firmware identifies it.

1) DDA which was manufactured < july 2007, product # 28620401, firmware 1.2x with 1.22 being the latest. CANNOT be updated to the later EVO version. This device can pretty much only be used with Win XP (perhaps Win Vista/10 if you're lucky, not OS X) and DDA software < 2.0.5.

2) DDA evo, manufacured > 2007, product # 28620401B, firmware 3.x with 3.13 being the latest.

So try to get hold of a evo version!

Present: Ducati SBK 848 -08 and Honda CRF250RX -13
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Garage
I've had mine since 2008. It's never worked right. Even with XP. If you really need to you should be able to dig up an xp disc somewhere and install virtualbox. For a while that is how I'd reset the service light. Mac with virtualbox XP and jpdiag.

You can get a raspberrypi with a canbus reader and log all the info out of the bike with one of those. It's a bit of undertaking converting the data though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 2:52 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppo View Post
I've also messed about with these devices (for Mac OS X mostly) and learned the following.

There are two versions of the DDA device which both look identical. On mac you can easily find out which one you have by looking in System information and the USB-bus where it's connected, the version of the firmware identifies it.

1) DDA which was manufactured < july 2007, product # 28620401, firmware 1.2x with 1.22 being the latest. CANNOT be updated to the later EVO version. This device can pretty much only be used with Win XP (perhaps Win Vista/10 if you're lucky, not OS X) and DDA software < 2.0.5.

2) DDA evo, manufacured > 2007, product # 28620401B, firmware 3.x with 3.13 being the latest.

So try to get hold of a evo version!
Damn wish I had known that I would have looked for the B version.

Ok so I got the old DDA software to work with Windows 7, and got the driver to work in windows 7 as well. Ive got a buddy with an XP machine he keeps around for old diag software for a myriad of bikes and am going to go try and see if I can do the firmware update and see what OS I can do it with.

Guess all else fails Ill be buying a refurb laptop just to keep around for this purpose. Not the end of the world I guess. Ive gotten most of the BMW coding tools and Guzzidiag/Ducatidiag running on newer hardware but it seems to run better on old garbage so I can just make it my garage laptop.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Garage
One question, looks like for another $100-150 I can get a B online. Other than being less of a PITA is there any real functionality in the B over the A with respect to the output?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 5:40 pm
Excel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzochi View Post
If you really need to you should be able to dig up an xp disc somewhere and install virtualbox. For a while that is how I'd reset the service light. Mac with virtualbox XP and JPDiag.
I also use a Mac, well a few of them, and run Virtualbox with XP and Win 10 as Guest machines in the same Mac.
They work well, albeit though Win 10 consumes a lot of resources.

You can use also Virtualbox in a Win machine to run other versions of Windows and other operating systems as Virtual machines.

The beauty is that the virtual machine is just another app tab in the Dock, just like Word, Excel etc. so you can flick between apps without having to boot into another OS.
Virtualbox is free and if you install it, just click yes/OK to everything it asks during installation. Then install your Guest OS.

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode